Echo Tools 58V 4ah Batteries

That pack looks familiar... Hilti maybe? Tool companies don't typically reinvent the wheel...

OK ridiculous question - given the unknown discharge amps... Is there a buck converter out there - take 2 of these in series - step it down to a more normal 72v? Higher voltage on primary means lower amp draw, but higher secondary output right?

(Just think come fall these will be on clearance - 4 of these in 2s2p?)

Whilst these packs may be conveniently sourced from the local hardware store, they are not exactly good value.
You can get a 48v, 8 Ahr, (double capacity ?) "bottle " pack of 18650's for a similar price .
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/728-48v8ah-bottle-09-e-bike-battery-charger-battery.html

Meh, heck you could swap in Model S cells and have a 6.2Ah pack.
The biggest draw tool runs for 30 min, that's only 8 amps on the pack. Only 4A per cell. Not a big deal...
I'm about to build a prototype pack for my lawnmower with Model S cells (replace 36V lead acid with a 10s pack)

Hillhater said:
Whilst these packs may be conveniently sourced from the local hardware store, they are not exactly good value.
You can get a 48v, 8 Ahr, (double capacity ?) "bottle " pack of 18650's for a similar price .
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/728-48v8ah-bottle-09-e-bike-battery-charger-battery.html
Exactly that's the point. For about the same price as a cheap battery shipped around the world you can get a quality battery from a 40 year old professional tool company with a five year warranty that you can pick up or return locally.

The 2ah version of this battery can charge at 5 amps that's over a 2c charge current. The eight ah battery linked to can charge at three amps that's less than .5c and can put out twenty amps. I have noticed that batteries can safely discharge several times their charge c rate. So if a .5c charge rate battery can put out twenty amps then it seems reasonable that a 8ah battery echo parallel pack that can charge at 2c should be safely assumed to be a very powerful pack.

maydaverave said:
Hillhater said:
Exactly that's the point. For about the same price as a cheap battery shipped around the world you can get a quality battery from a 40 year old professional tool company with a five year warranty that you can pick up or return locally.
Let me re-phrase that...
"For about the same price as a purpose made 8 Ahr battery that will fit straight onto your bike, you can get a tool pack battery of half the capacity (range) from a company who has little history in battery use and containing cells of unknown specification ? .... And it will also need to be adapted to fit on your bike !"
Granted the warranty & local return may be useful, but if you have to fall back on that,...then it's a fail anyway !
But whatever lets you sleep at night !

Hillhater said:
maydaverave said:
Hillhater said:
Let me re-phrase that...
"For about the same price as a purpose made 8 Ahr battery that will fit straight onto your bike, you can get a tool pack battery of half the capacity (range) from a company who has little history in battery use and containing cells of unknown specification ? .... And it will also need to be adapted to fit on your bike !"
Granted the warranty & local return may be useful, but if you have to fall back on that,...then it's a fail anyway !
But whatever lets you sleep at night !
BMS battery doesn't have the best reputation for quality or service so there is a good chance of defect and then what? Pay a couple hundred bucks to ship your battery back to China then a couple hundred more to ship it back?

Bms battery still feels like a "Do you feel lucky today". Many people have good luck. But the time and money, plus sleeping at night. How to add it up.
I would need two packs 8ah and two adapters for parallel. What is the 5 year warranty ? Prorated ?

Hillhater said:
I can literally walk to the Home Depot and buy this 4ah battery and buy it for $169.00 NO shipping charges which BMS battery is known to sock to ya. :?

What's really awesome is that electric is taking over the lawn care market. I have 40v 4ah greenworks digipro weed eater and I can easily handle 1.5 hours of wacking with my 2 40v 4ah batteries and it's more powerful than most all gas trimmers! Thegreenworks looks very similar to the Echo trimmer too by the way and Greenworks has a 80v 2ah battery trimmer and mower combo. The Echo mower looks kick ass with 2 batteries for a lot of mowing .. I don't necessarily hate the ICE, but I hate starting fouled up 2 stroke trimmers and gas mowers..... :p

wineboyrider said:
What's really awesome is that electric is taking over the lawn care market. I have 40v 4ah greenworks digipro weed eater and I can easily handle 1.5 hours of wacking with my 2 40v 4ah batteries and it's more powerful than most all gas trimmers! Thegreenworks looks very similar to the Echo trimmer too by the way and Greenworks has a 80v 2ah battery trimmer and mower combo. The Echo mower looks kick ass with 2 batteries for a lot of mowing .. I don't necessarily hate the ICE, but I hate starting fouled up 2 stroke trimmers and gas mowers..... :p

HERE IN REDNEKVILLE YOU WONT FIND A SINGLE ELECTRICAL THIGYMAJIGGER.
Seriously. For 2 years I used a push reel mower. I went to a $90 lead acid B&D electric mower on craigslist because I have like 20 pine trees and I got sick of picking up all the sticks and cones.
Not a single person in my large neighborhood uses anything but GAS. All the crews use GAS only. They let their giant trucks idle while they are cutting too.

I think in time they will all be using electric not, because it's cleaner or greener, but because they are and will be better. The tools are really only need about a 50% capacity increase to blow gasoline out of the water! The only limiting factor is the capacity and run time...but that's changing. And not to hijack this thread, but the batteries will be great for ebikes too!

I built a bike for my buddy with just one of these batteries. Ninec hubmotor with twenty amp controller. He's has been putting several cycles a day on it for over a month. No problems so far. Winerider I think the echo lawn mower can hold two of these batteries but runs on one at a time.

Hillhater said:

The BMSB is $254.90 delivered for 384Wh vs $169 for 232Wh. So the BMSB is only 10% cheaper. My AliExpress battery was more than 50% cheaper based on the actual true CA-measured Wh and more than that if the Echo does not make its rated Wh.

rsilvers said:
Hillhater said:

The BMSB is $254.90 delivered for 384Wh vs $169 for 232Wh. So the BMSB is only 10% cheaper. My AliExpress battery was more than 50% cheaper based on the actual true CA-measured Wh and more than that if the Echo does not make its rated Wh.

Well, being picky about it, you have to compare apples etc..
The echo "58v" pack is 14S, and the BMS "48v" pack is 13S.. .? Soooo could be rated (by the "Echo" method), as 54 volts and hence 432 Whr capacity !.. And therefore 24% cheaper ! :wink:

What's up with the$109 versions on eBay. NOS?

Any updates about these? I could use 14S for 52V (58.8V) BBS02 and 200Wh is plenty.

Is a person better off buying a weedeater or some tool to scavenge a mount and power connections? Or I suppose cables can be added and the pack stuffed inside a bag?

Refurbs on eBay going for $110-$120 shipped?

Any development using the stock BMS with a generic charger output? I know I can hack and bypass the BMS for charging but the Echo 5A charger is not a bad deal. Just wondering about the communication protocol?

Thanks!

Snapper is also selling packs that look suspiciously like these. They are calling their packs "60V /4-Ah". Retailing through walmart...

Same tool suite, lawnmower, chainsaw, weed-wacker, etc

Can’t find any 4Ah Snapper packs for sale. But I’m reasonably sure they’re 14S2P like the Echo.

Safe to assume 2Ah is simply 14S1P. There might be an economy of buying 2Ah packs and combining them as I seriously doubt they use different BMS?

Oh well, I pulled the trigger on eBay factory reconditioned 4Ah w/charger for $170 shipped. Definitely work well for the 52V BBS02 I've moved over to the Swift Folder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262139819181

‘Been having a helluva time cobbling decent 14S together with old hobby cells. Ugh…

Here's a bit of 2Ah Echo and an Ego pack teardown...
[youtube]lRdBS9oFUXc[/youtube]

Ykick said:
Any updates about these? I could use 14S for 52V (58.8V) BBS02 and 200Wh is plenty.

I had similar requirements for my BBS02 build, so I made a 14s2p pack with 3ah Samsung 30Q cells, a "safety" chemistry that does not burn after puncture/crush/overcharge/overdischarge. Maybe not as convenient as a pre-built pack, but spot-welding is easy and $155 of cells gave me a 6ah/58v pack good for a 50a discharge, weighing only 3.25lbs.

file.php

14s2p ended up having way more capacity than I needed, so I built a 14s1p pack of the same cells... $80 of cells gave me a 3ah/58v pack good for 25a discharge, weighing only 1.75lbs. Somehow that ended up on Mrs. Oatnet's eBike instead, so I have to build another one for myself. :lol: I'm loving this 18650 revolution!

file.php

Both packs are described on this thread:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=75890

-JD

Back