elbows in our elbows out for gearless DD hub lacing

ClintBX

1 kW
Hi ESFMs,

I'm relacing a few gearless DD hub motors and I just finished getting my measurement numbers to put into the grin tech spoke calculator.

Now I'm indecise about the elbow orientations. The motors originally came laced in with alternating in-out elbow sequence.

Should I stick with the the original setup or should I consider going all ins or all outs? What would make for the strongest wheel build?

I'm lacing up 36H 26" rims.

Clinton

ClintBX said:
What would make for the strongest wheel build?

The spokes on the flatter side should go on the outside of the flange, and the spokes on the more conical side should go inside the flange. If the hub is symmetrical, usually it's best to lace all spokes outside the flange, for maximum bracing angle. Use cross-1 lacing.

If the hub is large in diameter and the rim is small, then it may be necessary to use radial lacing and lace spokes inside the flange, to keep insertion angle to the rim reasonable.

Chalo said:
ClintBX said:

The spokes on the flatter side should go on the outside of the flange, and the spokes on the more conical side should go inside the flange. If the hub is symmetrical, usually it's best to lace all spokes outside the flange, for maximum bracing angle. Use cross-1 lacing.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'spokes on the flatter side' and 'spokes on the more conical side'. All my flange holes have a conical dip on both sides of the hole. Do you mean to say drive side when referring to the 'conical side '?

ClintBX said:
Chalo said:
ClintBX said:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'spokes on the flatter side' and 'spokes on the more conical side'. All my flange holes have a conical dip on both sides of the hole. Do you mean to say drive side when referring to the 'conical side '?

Pretty much all hub motors that allow disc brakes have an offset, where one flange is farther from the center point of the axle than the other flange. The spokes form a deeper cone on one side than on the other, and they have to be tighter on the flatter side to maintain this shape. The conventional term for differing flange offset is "dish".

Point is, the more tension difference between one side and the other, the weaker the wheel. By running spokes on the deeper (more conical) side inside the flange, and running the spokes on the flatter side outside the flange, you can make their bracing angle and their working tensions more equal.

Looking at the grin tech spoke calculator, when choosing configurations, there are choices between alternating and non alternating cross patterns. With the single cross, I fail to see the difference in configuration between the alt and no alt. Except in spoke measurements. Can someone explain to me the alt vs no alt in spoke configurations please?

Back