Electric moped cafe racer

vagosofron said:
My donor mopped is a honda c50.

Pad your power requirements, then. Mopeds are a lot heavier than bicycles, and their tires are a lot draggier. A moped is a much better, safer platform for going 50mph than a bicycle, though.

Does anyone knows any respectable stores in eu? I found a store in Germany that sells qs motors and kelly controllers. We don't have that kind of dealers in Greece.

Chalo said:
Pad your power requirements, then. Mopeds are a lot heavier than bicycles, and their tires are a lot draggier. A moped is a much better, safer platform for going 50mph than a bicycle, though.

Bicycles are not designed for 50mph strain forces on the frame, people still do it, people still love it. "Bicycles" / electric bicycles can be taken on buses and trains with no one caring. Do the same with a 50cc gas engine on a bicycle, probably about the same "interest", try taking a moped on there. I once got two flats, I had to walk about a mile to a bus stop, and then had to wait for 8 passes of the bus which came every 20 minutes, until a bus came with a bike rack. Luckily there were 2 or 3 different bus routes. Another bonus is I can call someone who drives to swing by and pick me up. I have done that far too many times, far too many flat tires. That is why moped tires on ebikes that dont care about weight, are a bonus.

vagosofron said:
Do you know the company EM3EV? Are the reliable?

They have a long history and a superb reputation in the e-bike business. The founder (Paul) is an Englishman with a Western sense of customer service and quality control.

Then try to find a decent electric scooter with bad lead acid batteries and convert that. It seems you want more speed and range than you can affort.
The best you can do is read up on as much information so you gain a lot of knowledge. In the mean time search in your area for electric vehicles that are for sale. Keep saving money for a while so when you've gained enough knowledge and know what's for sale you can buy the parts you need second hand and cheap.

A year ago I have bought an electric moped/scooter (50km/h, 30mph version) with only 22km (15miles) on the odometer that had stood too long so the lead acid batteries had died. I got it for only €100,- and put a LiFePo4 battery pack (a deal at €400,-) in the moped. Up to now I have done 5300km (3400miles) already with this moped that has cost me €500,- excluding the charging costs. Happy riding :lol:

SlowCo said:
Then try to find a decent electric scooter with bad lead acid batteries and convert that. It seems you want more speed and range than you can affort.
The best you can do is read up on as much information so you gain a lot of knowledge. In the mean time search in your area for electric vehicles that are for sale. Keep saving money for a while so when you've gained enough knowledge and know what's for sale you can buy the parts you need second hand and cheap.

A year ago I have bought an electric moped/scooter (50km/h, 30mph version) with only 22km (15miles) on the odometer that had stood too long so the lead acid batteries had died. I got it for only €100,- and put a LiFePo4 battery pack (a deal at €400,-) in the moped. Up to now I have done 5300km (3400miles) already with this moped that has cost me €500,- excluding the charging costs. Happy riding :lol:
That's exactly what I was thinking. I may not have the budget now, but in the future I will. The used electric scooter is a great idea, even for harvesting the parts to built another bike, but EVs are not that common in my country. The problem is that when you want to built something really bad, you want to buy everything NOW 😋

What do you think of those Genze 2.0 scooters? 30mph/30-mi range

They're way overpriced at $3,700 USD but they sometimes sell pre-owned ones for $2,000 shipped. Still not sure if that's worth it because that's with 6k-10k miles on the odometer, and 15-30% remaining on both tires and brake pads. Who knows how degraded the battery would be with that many miles, too

Still, I've test-ridden one and it feels sturdy and well-built--I wonder if it would be a decent platform to upgrade

I looked for used electric scooters localy, but all of them were 250w or at best 500w. i can't import something like that because of high custom taxes. I will bite the bullet and get everything i need brand new, or if i will find something for sale here. I also found a better base to begin, my best friend will give me an old mopped that doesn't work.

It's this and i would love to turn this electric like the Onyx rcr...

Attachments

• received_336691420520017.jpeg
    received_336691420520017.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 2,834
That's a better basis to start with indeed :thumb:
I would use a mid drive motor with chain to the rear wheel. That way you can use different gear ratio's to find the best one for acceleration vs speed. And you won't need a new rear wheel/brake. That would look much better than different wheels front vs rear. With the mid drive electric motor in place of the gasoline engine it will be nicely in the air flow for cooling (=more power input without overheating).

The Eastgem d4500 kit would fit very well I think: http://www.eastgem.net/d4500-k-1.html
With a continuous power rating of 4,5kW (6hp) it would be double the output of the original two stroke engine. And it will probably have a peak power capability of double that for a few seconds to accelerate seriously quick 8)

Then you only need to try and find battery cells that can provide the power that the controller and motor can handle. You can start with a few or cheap cells and program the controller to the max. that the pack can provide. And later when you can afford better or more cells you can upgrade the controller settings for more amps.

SlowCo said:
That's a better basis to start with indeed :thumb:
I would use a mid drive motor with chain to the rear wheel. That way you can use different gear ratio's to find the best one for acceleration vs speed. And you won't need a new rear wheel/brake. That would look much better than different wheels front vs rear. With the mid drive electric motor in place of the gasoline engine it will be nicely in the air flow for cooling (=more power input without overheating).

The Eastgem d4500 kit would fit very well I think: http://www.eastgem.net/d4500-k-1.html
With a continuous power rating of 4,5kW (6hp) it would be double the output of the original two stroke engine. And it will probably have a peak power capability of double that for a few seconds to accelerate seriously quick 8)

Then you only need to try and find battery cells that can provide the power that the controller and motor can handle. You can start with a few or cheap cells and program the controller to the max. that the pack can provide. And later when you can afford better or more cells you can upgrade the controller settings for more amps.
Wow that is really affordable! All i need is a 72v battery pack and a lot of hard work. My only issue is to find out where is that company based.

They are from China so you'll need to pay import taxes. No idea how much that is for your country?
And you will need a serious battery that can provide enough amps to take full advantage of the possibilities and have adequate range. So a 72V 30Ah pack (but rather more Ah) is needed.

SlowCo said:
They are from China so you'll need to pay import taxes. No idea how much that is for your country?
And you will need a serious battery that can provide enough amps to take full advantage of the possibilities and have adequate range. So a 72V 30Ah pack (but rather more Ah) is needed.

In that case, i will have to use ebay sellers from EU to find what i need.

No import charges on my stuff from China to UK aint the eu in free trade with china or something like that so there's no tariffs on most goods.
Brexit omg for our future.

SlowCo said:
Meh, not interesting. Especially not at that price. Then the Super Soco is much nicer to have!
http://www.supersoco.eu/en/

I would looove a Super Soco TC, and especially a TC Max, but unfortunately they have not been homologated for US sale :(
I think the best deal in this price range in the US is currently Onyx RCR at 3200 shipped

https://computron.gr/default/mpataria-60v-20ah-gia-ilektriko-podilato-ebike-se-kouti-me-diastaseisdiastaseis-238-143-178mm.html

I found that 60v 20ah battery. The specs mention
Continuous Max Dischareg Rate : 30A Pulse Max discharge Rate (5 sec): 60A.
I want to finally start my moped project, is that a suitable battery?
I'm considering because the seller is from Greece.

I can't see what cells they use? 30A @ 60V = 1800W continuous. Is that enough for your intended use (controller and motor)?

SlowCo said:
I can't see what cells they use? 30A @ 60V = 1800W continuous. Is that enough for your intended use (controller and motor)?

They don't mention the cells, but i can call them and find out.
I haven't found motor and controller yet. I'm searching on ebay from eu sellers. I will probably go for a mid drive because they are cheaper than hubs. I'm not looking for something fast. 40mph top speed will be enough. Also, my commute will be around 6 miles with 70% flats and 30% light hills.
So if i get this battery i will have to go for motor/controller no more than 2000w?

To prevent the BMS from tripping you need a controller that stays beneath the 30A continuous and 60A peak rating.

You could go for the Kunray 60V 2000W kit from the Czech warehouse to avoid taxes: https://aliexpress.com/item/4001053542520.html?spm=a2g0z.12010612.8148356.30.6b9f6307R9cI7o (hope the link works for you).
But you'll need to convert the chain and chain wheels to quality 219 kart items in a 1:9 or 1:10 (9T motor and 95+T rear sprockets) gearing to keep the motor happy.

SlowCo said:
To prevent the BMS from tripping you need a controller that stays beneath the 30A continuous and 60A peak rating.

You could go for the Kunray 60V 2000W kit from the Czech warehouse to avoid taxes: https://aliexpress.com/item/4001053542520.html?spm=a2g0z.12010612.8148356.30.6b9f6307R9cI7o (hope the link works for you).
But you'll need to convert the chain and chain wheels to quality 219 kart items in a 1:9 or 1:10 (9T motor and 95+T rear sprockets) gearing to keep the motor happy.
The chain conversion will be an easy task. Do you think i can achieve the performance i want with this configuration and me weighing 90 kilograms?

Back