Electric Rider vs Amped vs Currie

I've built 3 electric bikes from kits. The first one was from Currie, and I put it on my Bridgestone XO-3 (a great frame, by the way) in 2001. I probably put 3000 miles on that one. In 2011 I bought a Trek 7000 and installed an AmpedBikes front-wheel conversion kit. I used their lithium tube battery for power, and it was a nice change from the SLA Currie setup. That was a very fine setup, and I was going to swap out the Currie on my XO for another AmpedBikes front-wheel drive, but the company has apparently gone under or, at the very least, they're not returning phone calls or emails.

I'd been looking at Electric Rider for many years, but their stuff seemed a little on the expensive side. I gave Amped a few more calls in June, sent a few more emails but...nothing. I ended up purchasing a Phoenix II Brute and 36v 20ah system from ER, and it's fantastic. The staff at ER took a lot of time explaining options during my initial call. Then, when I got the kit, they graciously put up with my stream of questions in putting the thing together, answering within a day, or even a few hours. That was 3 weeks ago, I've got 250 miles on it, and I was really glad I went with the company. Great customer service. The only problem, if it is one, is that the bike goes a little fast for my taste, 30 mph. I have to consciously keep it to 20-24 mph. If I did it again, I'd get a Cruiser and a smaller battery.

Too bad about AmpedBikes. Those front-wheel drives were a good deal.

Yea, Amped seems to have gone AWOL. I got their front wheel kit, SLA instead of Li, and it was nice, easy setup. Until I accidentally blew up the controller :cry: Went on the website and ordered a new one, couple days later got a canceled order email and PayPal refund, and the website was no longer up, and got back nothing from email. *sigh*

Apparently the site is back up, but given the complete lack of response recently from emails, I won't trust them again. Too bad, good price.

I've been using an Ampedbikes frt. geared motor kit for three years and it's a great motor, but the controller is pretty dated compared with what is available now.
I was a noob then, and the "plug and play kit" was right for me then, but I would never pay that much for that kit now, way too much money.
It is a MXUS system and is available from MXUS directly(with up-dated controller options) or from Aliexpress.
If you want to buy from a seller in N. America that offers support and quality, the Outrider geared kit from Ebikes CA will fill the bill. It is not a MXUS, but the motor looks exactly the same and the performance is equal.
With your experience, you should be rready to order from China and save some money.
A brand new Kit is available from BMS Battery and it looks pretty cool. I call it a kit, but you would need to order the items seprately.
The motor is a little smaller than the MXus, but should offer about the same performance.
http://www.bmsbattery.com/battery-pack/ ... ttery.html
Battery with intergrated controller.
To be used with this motor:
http://www.bmsbattery.com/ebike-kits/63 ... e-kit.html
Top speed would be in the low 20's MPH
If you want to read about it, start reading, start with Cute Motor, Q100H, etc.

Yep, Electricrider knows the same thing P.T. Barnum knew.

If I read the first post right you have you have the wrong infomation about the ( ER) motors. the BRUTE is the slower speed motot and the CRUISE moter is the faster motor but if you want a CRUISER there is or there was a CRUISER for sale here on ES new for less than 1/2 price, shipped $350.00 front motor.

Nope, I got it right. I got a Brute (it says so on the hub) and it tops out at 30mph. I was wondering if perhaps the LCD readout was reading fast, but I went past one of those "your speed is..." readouts on the road near my house and I was, according to it, going 30mph. I brought the amperage down at bit, to 25 amps instead of the suggested 40, and have gotten 40 miles between charges. However, when the lithium battery dies, it dies in the space of about a block.

The kit from Electric Rider was expensive, more expensive than the one I put together from AmpedBikes, but the thing is working and the customer service was very good. And, in response to the guy who suggested I can shop for components in China; well, no, I'm not that savvy. I want to buy everything from one company so I can talk to them about it. Having said that, I've just bought a battery from Ping Batteries in Shanghai to see if I can get the AmpedBikes motor happening again. Too bad that AmpedBikes went dead.

Back