Electric trials bike

nishijin

1 µW
Hey everyone.

I have started reading a bunch of previous threads here.

Some of them seem to end without a working bike. Some of them seem to be ongoing projects. I don't want to spend two years and still have parts all over the shed.

Background:

I bought an old 90's trials bike, and it has one problem after another. Initially it was to be the project bike, do a top end rebuild and have something for friends to join me. However, it's a total dog. The further I dig into the engine, the more it will cost to repair. Currently if I can get all the parts (not guaranteed), it will be between £500-1000 to get serviceable again. With that in mind, I would sooner convert to electric.

It's a two-stroke, so the bottom end is sealed and independent of the combustion chamber.
The bottom end gearing and clutch should be salvageable.

The plan:

Plan A: Use the bottom end, remove the crank.
If I can get the gears/clutch working properly again: have a working clutch and gear system.
Fabricate a crank with gear to run a motor with reduction, power through the original gears.

Plan B: Sod that, stick something like the QS motor assembly in and be done with it.

Plan B sounds more appealing because it will be a case of fabricating mounts to fit the motor, and not messing about with the old unit at all. Plan A would give me a clutch, and allow me to get that motor spinning fast, but I also fear that the dumping of the clutch and that sudden tension could damage the motor.

The bike has an old steel frame, and I have no qualms with modifying it or welding mounts on to make things fit.

My needs:

I have a working petrol trials bike, so this is supplementary.

1. I want something near-silent to practice skills especially where it might be frowned upon (front garden, trees nearby etc).
2. A clutch would be great, but I don't think this is possible with QS?
3. I don't want speed at all, I want to have a front tyre that lifts and a bike that wants to loop on me.

Essentially, I need a trials bike, but with an electric motor, than doesn't cost what EMotion are charging. I sat on a friend's Sur Ron, but unless it was set up badly, when I cracked the throttle nothing really happened. It went "hnnnnnn...." and then zoom, the opposite of a trials setup.

I could live without a clutch, but only if the moment I snap that throttle, it jumps to life. Maybe a lot of this can come down to front and rear sprockets, but I don't want the motor spinning insanely high RPM when I do transition from one place to the next at above-walking-pace. Using the original bottom end just seems like a novel approach.

Battery duration is longer the better.

I am struggling to cost this.
Could anyone help with rough costs of QS motors or similar?
Based in the UK.

A drop-in solution would be great, but I fear that it might not be the ideal way forward.

More power is more money, more speed is more money. Lots of different qs motors to choose from, your looking at $350-500 for the motor plus $150-300 for a controller and whatever voltage, amp-hour and discharge currents you want in the battery $1500-2500. Should be well within the top limits of anything power or speed related. Could rope it in at less but the battery would be $1k, $350 motor and $150 controller, but it all depends. Tesla or ev or diy battery modules perhaps with a kelly, sabvoton and do you go hub or mid? Cyclone has some 26kw mids but more money in controllers and batteries, or a 5kw hub say $400 with 72v80a of Uummmppffffffffffff

Mid drive you can gear the motor to the wheel anyway you wish.

I think that a mid QS (or similar) is the best way forward. Scratch the modded bottom end idea for now.

The battery cost/capability, and not burning down the house, is my biggest concern.

Elektrosherpa said:
and learn from my mistake (buying a battery from alibaba):

This is my #1 fear. I want a battery from somewhere that I can trust.

In the UK, I don’t know where to start. So, say I want a 72V system for the 3kW QS motor, where do I begin for legitimate safe bets on batteries?

Back