Endless Sphere 2.0 Preview - please provide feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am unable to get onto this, it just asks for passwords, rejects the espreview and nepsentme, rejects my password, the reset password option seems ne an email that links to... A request to log in...

Could you make this a bit easier :? Perhaps just a generic user with public password we can all log in on or something.

Do I need to test this with a computer not a phone?

mxlemming said:
I am unable to get onto this, it just asks for passwords, rejects the espreview and nepsentme, rejects my password, the reset password option seems ne an email that links to... A request to log in...

Could you make this a bit easier :? Perhaps just a generic user with public password we can all log in on or something.

first post?

When you first enter the site, you will be asked for a username and password by your browser.
This is our protection against google scraping this preview site.

Username: espreview
Password: nepsentme

URL: https://dev2.endless-sphere.com/xenforo

marty said:
Do smaller pictures prevent the server from bogging down when forum has a lot of traffic? If yes? I would say ya need a bigger server. If Amazon did not let [not logged people] see full size pictures. Think they would sell less stuff.

Read the post above on how xenforo handles this.
We pay for bandwidth by the gigabyte and like Xenforo's halfway solution a lot.. :)

Elinx said:
Maybe it has to do with permissions? Administrator vs registered user

But if I try the media search option it isn't exactly what I thought it was.
On some fora (for example RCgroups.com/forums) it is possible to see/search, in a tread, all attachements only, so you can scroll to an old image and open the message or the tread from there.
It is sometimes handy to find an old post in a (very) long tread.

I tried both a regular user ( one i signed up for manually in xenforo ), an admin account, and not logged in, and in all instances i see the full search options.

Let's give this another look after the final conversion to see if that's still happening for you. Permissions on the development site are a little crooked.

Xenforo's media library feature only picks up images uploaded going forward after the conversion. Notice that it only has a single image uploaded by nicobie. Unfortunate; but it should be useful going forward.

URLs in a user's signature aren't getting converted to hyperlinks. Example:
https://dev2.endless-sphere.com/xenforo/threads/ninja-250-clone-made-in-china.90032/page-3#post-1555480

I can't seem to create a reply in a thread. I see a small box at the bottom of the page that says " You have insufficient privileges to reply here."

pwd said:
https://dev2.endless-sphere.com/xenforo/threads/ninja-250-clone-made-in-china.90032/page-3#post-1555480

We know about this one and have some code on the way to fix it.

I can't seem to create a reply in a thread. I see a small box at the bottom of the page that says " You have insufficient privileges to reply here."

Fixed the permissions on your account. Give it another shot.

tomjasz said:
mxlemming said:

first post?

When you first enter the site, you will be asked for a username and password by your browser.
This is our protection against google scraping this preview site.

URL: https://dev2.endless-sphere.com/xenforo

Never mind i get it now, I'm a 'tard.

Looks nice, moderate improvement over the existing forum but i have no privileges to post/create content so TBC.

No problem, mxlemming, i've adjusted your permissions so you can post.

( deleted some spam and reactions to it - let's keep this thread very clean )

neptronix said:
No problem, mxlemming, i've adjusted your permissions so you can post.

Had a go posting, uploading images etc. Much cleaner than before. Thumbs up from me :bigthumb: not much to complain about really, it just works for me.

Interesting things like the insights into members post numbers etc.

One thing I'd like to see is a strict limit on users "signature" length. There's a few who have silly long sigs. When there's a thread with a few of them posting 2 line replies and 6 line sigs you end up with lots of clutter.
Edit... I realize there's many in this thread who have rather long sigs...
Screenshot_20221110-130111.png
But here's why i don't like it. Over half the visible page is devoted to non content... Headers and signatures with sigs being a large contributor.

Also on that note, could the headers, report react reply, date, share and bookmark options also so be lumped up in the top of each post?

mxlemming said:
One thing I'd like to see is a strict limit on users "signature" length. There's a few who have silly long sigs. When there's a thread with a few of them posting 2 line replies and 6 line sigs you end up with lots of clutter.
But here's why i don't like it. Over half the visible page is devoted to non content... Headers and signatures with sigs being a large contributor.

I agree with you on that. Xenforo has some good settings for this. It's also a good idea to make the signature text as small as feasible on the mobile phone view.

mxlemming said:
Also on that note, could the headers, report react reply, date, share and bookmark options also so be lumped up in the top of each post?

I'm not sure how that would work out. Maybe it should be at the bottom, ie, you make ideally make those decisions after you read the post, not before.

Twitter has this figured out ( although their desktop UI is maddeningly fluffy - we can fit all of this on one row. )

Screenshot_2022-11-10_13-30-39.png

Let's revisit the topic of visual refinement when we are ready for v2.1. I'm far from done with polishing this design. :)

neptronix said:
mxlemming said:

I agree with you on that. Xenforo has some good settings for this. It's also a good idea to make the signature text as small as feasible on the mobile phone view.
Does it have the option to disable displaying signatures in each member's UCP? PHPBB lets me choose not to view any signatures there, which saves a huge amount of space on screen.

If I want to see signatures for some reason I can just reenable that (though I don't); the only time I need to see them is checking for spammers and I do that in the actual member profile where it shows their signature anyway.

Personally I would have the mobile view automatically disable signatures unless the user has specifically overridden this in their UCP (if there isnt' an option for that, it might be useful to add it).

An option to disable displaying avatars would be helpful as well.

(asking because I have yet to be able to log into the site; first logging in to
https://dev2.endless-sphere.com/xenforo
with the
then clicking the Log in link at the top right that takes me to
https://dev2.endless-sphere.com/xenforo/login/login
where I enter my regular ES username and password, which it rejected multiple times, and then gave me the message
"Your account has temporarily been locked due to failed login attempts." )

AW:
Check the thread from August in our moderator forum for a generic administrator level password so you can check moderation etc.

Otherwise if you want to try as a regular permissioned version of yourself, step 1 on the first post..

This is a development server that is a little different than the final version.
1. Everyone's passwords have changed to random garbage. In order to login to your account, go to https://dev2.endless-sphere.com/xenforo/login/ and click 'forgot password'.

I think 3-4 people missed it so far.. :shock:
I'll rewrite it with better language.

Hey all.

We have a significantly improved look on the preview site now. It resembles the final ES 2.0 look more.
It is also super optimized for mobile.

We are moving to the new system in about 2 weeks so please give the preview another look, or maybe your first one. Refer to page 1 for instructions.

neptronix said:
Hey all.

We have a significantly improved look ....

To be honest, I still like the old look.

neptronix said:
NOTE: Because user passwords are 'censored' in this version, you will need to use the password reset function on the login screen to reset your password before logging in.
It wants to send to an old email acct. I haven't used in a long time. :oops: How else can I change it (password)?

You happen to have the same email address on phpbb as you do on here, otherwise i would have changed it for you in xenforo land.

So you can either PM me your new email address or you can just sign up as a new user to test.

pwd said:

Just wanted to give you an update on this.
We fixed most signatures but not all of them, and we are gonna leave the broken ones broken.

The reason is because phpbb has 3 'eras' of how it writes BBcode in signatures. Parts of some people's signatures are in old PHPBB BBcode tag format mixed in with new PHPBB BBcode tag formats.
There's also lots of legitimately broken code in signatures because phpbb has you enter all this stuff by hand instead of having a proper WYSIWYG interface.

Also, existing signatures will have incorrect links going forward because we're moving the forum to another URL, even if we fix them.
These things combined make an automated fix a hurculean effort that at best won't result in more than 75% 'fixed'.

So we suggest that users manually update their signatures after the conversion because the only feasible way to accomplish this is to do it by hand.

Mxlemming, that's a screenshot of the current forum.

In working on round 2 with the xenforo CSS i noticed that in proper 'mobile mode', signatures are automatically hidden, but on tablet size, they show. That was a Xenforo choice and not mine.

So it turns out my work here is done :lol:

I agree that we should limit signatures to 6 lines though and there is a way to enforce that on xenforo.

Ok, have logged in to the new site to help test. That makes 15, 35 to go.

Have the same issues with posting or permissions. "You have insufficient privileges to reply here."

When first logged on had more side white space then checked browser setting on the zoom and adjusted the setting to the old site.
Like magic less white space.

neptronix said:
pwd said:

Just wanted to give you an update on this.
We fixed most signatures but not all of them, and we are gonna leave the broken ones broken.

The reason is because phpbb has 3 'eras' of how it writes BBcode in signatures. Parts of some people's signatures are in old PHPBB BBcode tag format mixed in with new PHPBB BBcode tag formats.
There's also lots of legitimately broken code in signatures because phpbb has you enter all this stuff by hand instead of having a proper WYSIWYG interface.

Also, existing signatures will have incorrect links going forward because we're moving the forum to another URL, even if we fix them.
These things combined make an automated fix a hurculean effort that at best won't result in more than 75% 'fixed'.

So we suggest that users manually update their signatures after the conversion because the only feasible way to accomplish this is to do it by hand.

Would links to endless-sphere.com from other websites become broke with your new forum?

Here ↓ , if I am reading correctly, I see there are 73,000 links to endless-sphere.com
https://ahrefs.com/backlink-checker

ZeroEm said:
Ok, have logged in to the new site to help test. That makes 15, 35 to go.

Have the same issues with posting or permissions. "You have insufficient privileges to reply here."

Ugh, back to the drawing board on one of the scripts. Give us a few days to fix this.

marty said:
Would links to endless-sphere.com from other websites become broke with your new forum?

Nope, we built a very good redirector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back