Etorque motor sensor

Treebeard

10 µW
Hi all, I have a Dodge ram eTorque motor that I'd like to use for a go cart project. A friend and I hooked it up to a flipsky VESC controller and got it to turn with the controller on sensorless, but it was very jerky and generally unhappy. It's my understanding that the stock motor position sensor is a resolver, and finding an aftermarket controller that can read the stock signal hasn't yielded anything reasonable. After a few YouTube videos, I'm thinking I can add hall sensors to it and run any aftermarket controller that will handle the motor specs. Is this a good route to go, or is there a better option? The motor was free, and I'm fine buying a BLDC controller for it. I'm definitely not interested in reverse engineering any sort of CAN or building a controller, that's way outside my skill set. I can run wires, check voltages,and program off the shelf controllers just fine, but I'm not able to get deep into PCB designs or anything like that. I'm a construction worker with a bad PEV habit, not an EE.
Any advice on how to get this motor to run smoothly would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240507_201934.jpg
    20240507_201934.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Back