EV sonic 7 kit car

Here are some CAM 72 CALB cells compared to my old 160Ah prismatic cells these cells can give 584 Amps for 10 seconds :mrgreen: and weight 1.8Kg

Cheers Kiwi

Attachments

• IMG_2425.JPG
    IMG_2425.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 3,305
Conrad can you drop me a line? I can't seem to pm you. Still want to swap that motor core over.

WESTART00 said:
kiwiev said:
Here are some CAM 72 CALB cells compared to my old 160Ah prismatic cells these cells can give 584 Amps for 10 seconds :mrgreen: and weight 1.8Kg

Cheers Kiwi
It's 72Ah capacity? weight 1.8kg? peak 8C discharge rate at 584 Amps?

sounds about right :D

I'm using them in another project but I cant say on here ATM. :|

Cheers Kiwi

So another option is take the motor, controllers and batteries out of the sonic and use in the ute and then give the Sonic 7 the treatment :idea:

A wee video of Sonic 7

[youtube]kaqrUI_AUCc [/youtube]

kiwiev said:
So another option is take the motor, controllers and batteries out of the sonic and use in the ute and then give the Sonic 7 the treatment :idea:

A wee video of Sonic 7
That is the best option yet in my opinion. Then you could just easily add capacity to the cells you move over to the ute to give it extra range.

Would you need to re-engineer anything on the Sonic to maintain it's rego? Assuming it eventually comes through.

I reckon you also need to build a mini race track on your property and I'll help. :D

Cheers

"testing at 75%" ..? ...
75% of what ?... battery charge, current limit, ? ?
:lol: :lol: that brought back memories of doing similar "testing" many years back ( a teenage hoon ) on a friends property with a bush basher we had just put a low diff in. ended up taking out his mums flower beds, a fence, and the Vicars car that was parked on the road !! :lol:
.....we had forgotten to connect up the brake lines again !!
boy, if i had acreage now i would certainly build a "test track" !

Hillhater said:
"testing at 75%" ..? ...
75% of what ?... battery charge, current limit, ? ?
:lol: :lol: that brought back memories of doing similar "testing" many years back ( a teenage hoon ) on a friends property with a bush basher we had just put a low diff in. ended up taking out his mums flower beds, a fence, and the Vicars car that was parked on the road !! :lol:
.....we had forgotten to connect up the brake lines again !!
boy, if i had acreage now i would certainly build a "test track" !

75% current

Trying to get a good balance point of current verse voltage sag. :D

Well I trailered the Sonic to the RTA RMS inspection station, lots I would like to say but cant :twisted:

1-They don't like 4-point harness eat belts even thou the engineer signed off on them
2-Front indicators are not far enough to the outside edge of car
3-And the Engineer did a typo on his paperwork regarding the brake system was a Mazda MX5 its actually RTR HI-SPEC brakes from England

5 1/2 hours later and I still don't really know the outcome :x

Cheers Kiwi

Attachments

• IMG_2490.JPG
    IMG_2490.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 3,070
Far out man, I can't believe they make it so difficult! :x

You should make a mini doco or write up on how insanely difficult it's been.
Talk about bureaucracy stifling innovation...it actually pisses me off cause Australia is supposed to be one of the more advanced nations in the world, yet our 'safety' conscious government make it near impossible for anyone to do the right thing by them and get your creation registered.
Ultimately it only achieves 2 things for people wanting to do this, scaring most people away completely, and forcing most of the rest to just break the law.

I really hope you can get it registered soon. I want another drive if you'll let me. 8)

Cheers

Its not that bad to get things done in Australia, just got to read all the paper work and find a really cluey engineer. I got a electric hayabusa passed by the Queensland transport group on the first go. Just sounds like your engineer let you down, 4 point harnesses are not deemed road usable primarily due to safety in a crash, tensioning seat belts save lives, without all the extra safety gear worn in racing they are dangerous. The harness, blinkers would be in the NCOPs.

I do hope they pass you and just give you a notice to remedy which is alot simpler to do then having to rebook and go back. Good luck with it mate, looks like a freaking blast of a car.

Thanks guys

The 4 point harness is Okay according to ADR its how you interpret the ADR the problem the car was built for 4 point harness I dont know how I would fit a 3 piunt retractor in.

What peeves me off is the waste of time and money tax payer money the RMS inspectors aren't engineers they were trying to apply the electric conversion bulletin V2 which I'm fine with and comply to but this is only a guideline.

Cheers Kiwi

When to Canberra yesterday and my 6mm Polycarbonate tinted had turned up. :D

Cut a oversized wind screen out and fitted to the Sonic WOW :D what a difference I can keep my hat on which will save my nose burning off and my hair receding faster :lol:

Managed to get the front wheels off the ground again accelerating down the drive way with my daughters friend :mrgreen: I really need to get that on camera. The Winston really vary day to day. :| :( :( :?

Cheers Kiwi

Attachments

• IMG_2512.JPG
    IMG_2512.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 3,022
  • IMG_2513.JPG
    IMG_2513.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 3,022
  • IMG_2514.JPG
    IMG_2514.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 3,022
  • IMG_2515.JPG
    IMG_2515.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 3,022
Looks amazing mate. I wonder if it will improve (or not) your efficiency at higher speeds?

I would say you should have popped by while you were up, but I got a 2 day old newborn now so things are pretty hectic. :lol:

For the front wheel lifting shot, try mounting the gopro underneath the rear of the car facing the front. It will clearly show any lift that way and look impressive also.

Cheers

Great project

I was wondering, isn't possible to make a video with someone else holding the camera outside (not onboard)?

It would show better the acceleration i think

EDIT i found 2 on your channel...

Cowardlyduck said:
Looks amazing mate. I wonder if it will improve (or not) your efficiency at higher speeds?

I would say you should have popped by while you were up, but I got a 2 day old newborn now so things are pretty hectic. :lol:

For the front wheel lifting shot, try mounting the gopro underneath the rear of the car facing the front. It will clearly show any lift that way and look impressive also.

Cheers
Congrats mate Lee says Hi too boy or a girl?

Sorry I didn't pop in mate I had to drop gear off at the airport, I will see if I can fit the Go pro underneath.
Cheers Kiwi

kiwiev said:

Cut a oversized wind screen out and fitted to the Sonic WOW :D

That looks great!

oatnet said:
kiwiev said:

Cut a oversized wind screen out and fitted to the Sonic WOW :D

That looks great!

Thanks JD :D

Looks like I maybe able to get some A123 modules check your spot weld thread :D but I will have break each module in half to get 46 volt blocks any thoughts on this is it easy :x

Cheers Kiwi

Parcel landed in Jindabyne I see. Sorry for delay!!!

kiwiev said:

Looks like I maybe able to get some A123 modules check your spot weld thread :D but I will have break each module in half to get 46 volt blocks any thoughts on this is it easy :x

Cheers Kiwi

Hi Conrad!

As excited as I would be for you to try a123, sadly, cutting them in half is a challenge. Cutting the metal joiners between the cells is simple. The pack is held in tension with a stainless steel band, you'd need to cut it, fabricate new end caps to keep even pressure on the cells, and retension them with new bands. The more difficult part for me would be fabricating new power take offs connected to the metal joiners on the power tabs. I've long thought about how to build a power path to bypass a bad cell, and can't figure it out. I was unable to solder to the cell joiner (it is too large a hunk of metal to get hot enough), it is too thin/soft to drill and tap, and I don't think spot-welded tabs to the rough surface would carry the amp loads I was looking for. These cell joiners are laser-welded at the factory.

Wb9k works for a123, and did do some sort of surgery on a module for his "miles" build, he might be able to tell you more if you ask him in a PM:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=67989&start=50

-JD

oatnet said:
kiwiev said:

Cheers Kiwi

Hi Conrad!

As excited as I would be for you to try a123, sadly, cutting them in half is a challenge. Cutting the metal joiners between the cells is simple. The pack is held in tension with a stainless steel band, you'd need to cut it, fabricate new end caps to keep even pressure on the cells, and retension them with new bands. The more difficult part for me would be fabricating new power take offs connected to the metal joiners on the power tabs. I've long thought about how to build a power path to bypass a bad cell, and can't figure it out. I was unable to solder to the cell joiner (it is too large a hunk of metal to get hot enough), it is too thin/soft to drill and tap, and I don't think spot-welded tabs to the rough surface would carry the amp loads I was looking for. These cell joiners are laser-welded at the factory.

Wb9k works for a123, and did do some sort of surgery on a module for his "miles" build, he might be able to tell you more if you ask him in a PM:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=67989&start=50

-JD

thanks mate as we say down under BUGGER :evil:

Cheers Kiwi

Back