EVG Global 36v Ebike Stock rebuild

Adrian

100 µW
Hi to all - i have been watching the forum for a while and some great upgrades have been done on the EVG Global.
I have a Stock 36v SX with zokes forks and front disk brake that i would like to keep as stock for now, unfortunately the electronics dont appear to be in any working condition. all the fuses have been blown and i am in the process of fault finding. and some connector/cables missing someone has had a good mess about with it. the bike itself looks almost new, in very very good condition.

what i would like to know is does anyone on the forum keep spares for these ebikes, like controller and accessories etc. if you do please drop me a PM. after i have had use of it in stock condition i may upgrade to a more capable bike...then again i may keep as stock.

though its a great frame to use as a base for something better - very sturdy frame

any pointers on how i get this bike up and running and with minimum cost that would be fantastic

thanks in advance for your help

delving deeper - i replaced all the fuses. then lifted lid on the controller a couple of 35v caps raised up so replaced those too. and checked voltages. batteries appear to be reasonable. controller goes through its start up then beeps, approx 8 secs later lights will come on.

fault i am getting now is no drive to the hub. i disconnected cable to heinzmann hub spun the wheel and measured with meter and i see a voltage. i am wondering if the hall switches are working - that is my next step. some of the connections not too good either, will clean those up.

anyone seen this problem before ?

Thanks

Heinzmann hub motors are brushed. They don't have Hall sensors. The small wires in the motor connector are for thermal sensors, I think.

You can try applying a smaller voltage (like 12V) directly to the motor power leads without a controller, to see if the motor is working correctly. There's a one-way clutch in there, so the wheel will turn if you get the polarity right, and only whirr if it's reversed.

Ok so brakes were engaged (brake light on). didnt find this straight away as lamp unit was dead. this was on both the levers so the switches are not working, look perished to me. i by passed the switches but motor still not working. i went directly to the source and i applied 12v directly to the hub and no joy there either..... 1.30 am here so time for some rest and will resume tomorrow.

is it worth looking inside the hub, do i need a tin opener ?....anyone had this problem before with a dead motor ?.

found alot wrong with the bike so far - surprising really because it looks mint and hardly used.

time for sleep !

thanks for your help

First, before you crack the motor, which is a bitch, do a quick test at 12v.

Take the two main wires, and connect to a 12v battery. It runs? good, the brushes are ok. It doesn't? brushes likely bad.

If it's the 24v version, there are two other wires going into the motor. It's a temp switch, that turns off the controller when the motor overheats. It's possible that's faulty, stuck in off position. To test that , if present. short those two wires. It's like an ignition switch circuit. To run the controller, the circuit must be flowing, so if the switch is stuck in overheated, open circuit, the bike won't run.

Way way way back, there are threads mostly started by Gmouchwar, that detail Heizmann motor repairs. Again, getting at those brushes is a bitch. If that motor tests bad, I'd go the modify with a brushless kit route. Chances are, if those brushes got melted, the holders are toast too. Not worth the effort.

I haven't seen EVG parts on ebay in years now. But occasionally somebody parts one out, like if they convert one to a fast motor.

Post your parts needs in the wanted section of the for sale forum.

tried the quick 12v Test to hub motor. no joy. no temp sensor on this motor i can see (i have a 36v hub)....... hmmmmm decisions decisions !

What does the connector on the motor arm look like? How many wires, and what sizes and colors?

hi chalo - i have two wires - a red and a brown, quite thick Gauge. connector looks in good shape.....

Adrian said:
hi chalo - i have two wires - a red and a brown, quite thick Gauge. connector looks in good shape.....

It has been a long time since I last worked with a Heinzmann motor, but as I remember they have a plug connector hard mounted to the torque arm, and it has more than two leads in it. Your only has two?

EDIT:

Here we go:
Heinzmann%20motor%20lg.jpg

That looks like four terminals in the photo, and I think two of them are for a thermal sensor. Is this the same setup as your motor?

The temp sensor is only present in the 24v version. They have just two wires in the 36v.

Dump that motor, strip off 99% of that original stuff, and put a 36v kit on it. If the bike is 36v, you can wire up your own light switch to replace the stock one, and use a standard kit throttle.

Unless you can scare up a new motor. My experience with the heinzmann was that they have great torque, but make nearly unbearable noise if run faster than 10 mph. You'll like a regular brushless hub much better I'm sure.

You can disassemble the motor to see if it's an easy fix if you like, if the controller still puts out power. But it's a bitch. Happy hunting for the heinzmann fix threads, and I bet when you find em, the pics are long gone, as they are on many of the very old threads. Look in 2008 I think.

Yes definately only two wires on this model of motor -I took the wheel out and started to strip it down - after two hours i thought this is far too much trouble than its worth so..........

time to Dump it !

Hi Dogman - Yes what you say makes alot of sense, time to get rid of and dump what i dont need. i was going to try and keep as stock, but looks like i will be upgrading sooner than i thought. glad you told me about the noise, dont want to be biking down the street with a screaming motor!

before i take the plunge on a 36/48V volt kit brushless kit, i want nothing fancy just something that does the job reliably and have the possibility of some upgrading later - any recommendations. yescomusa kits any good as a starter ?

Thank you

did you hear any noise at all from the motor when you applied the 24V directly to the power wires? they regularly will strip the gear on the shaft of the motor inside and just spin inside the can and no torque at the wheel. but it should do something when you put the 24V on it if nothing other than make noise. the brushes would not be burned out yet.

but icewrench is the guy to ask since he has 3 or 4 or 5 or 6.

Still at least as loud as a large drill going down the road, or worse. Metal gears in there, I couldn't stand it past 8 mph for long myself.

Don't actually toss the motor though, put what's left of it up for sale. Somebody might be wanting that clutch real bad, or whatever. Same goes for any other parts you strip off that are good.

hi dnmun - i am going to continue and crack this hub motor open tonight, and see what exactly the issue is for peace of mind. when i applied power direct. no sign of activity or even trying to move, in either direction.

thanks

before you do that you should check continuity between the two power wires. that will tell you what you need to know.

but for this motor it is not really much worth the effort for the power it can ever deliver. you are gonna go to a brushless motor anyway.

dnmun said:
before you do that you should check continuity between the two power wires. that will tell you what you need to know.

but for this motor it is not really much worth the effort for the power it can ever deliver. you are gonna go to a brushless motor anyway.

Heinzmann will pull a loaded trailer. Very high quality made in Germany motors built by a company that has been making motors for many years.

Will try your suggestions tonight. and as i said i will investigate the issue with the motor for peace of mind.

Am i right in thinking in that if i spin the motor the wrong way by hand i should see a vottage on the two pins. or resistance by measuring across the two terminals ?

Though i am going to do as dogman suggests and dump the motor and other parts (to the bay), and upgrade. the frame quality and build is screaming out for it even if by some miracle i manage to fix it.

thanks

Adrian said:
Will try oyur suggestions tonight. and as i said i will investigate the issue with the motor for peace of mind.

Am i right in thinking in that if i spin the motor the wrong way by hand i should see a vottage on the two pins. or resistance by measuring across the two terminals ?

Though i am going to do as dogman suggests and dump the motor and other parts, and upgrade. the frame quality and build is screaming out for it even if by some miracle i manage to fix it.

thanks

For sure don't dump them. You can sell them for enough money to buy a made in China kit with plastic gears if that is what you want.

Hi,

I have the same issue. If you keep the stock equipment, it's loud but has high torque, low speed. Mine does 17mph. Takes off like a rocket. Sounds like a whining woman. :lol: If you get a brushless, it's quieter, less torque, higher speed, no cruise control. Take your pick.

I found a cracked solder joint in one of my 36v 500w heinzmanns. pretty simple fix once I got the motor apart. just saying.

there are many threads detailing the process of dis / reassembly around here. the quick version is remove the axle nuts and spacer on the cassette side, unscrew all the Phillips head screws you see. The magnets will be holding the power head together so pry the case apart while using progressively larger shims until you can separate it. be careful to keep your fingers out of the way during reassembly as the magnets will try to slam the case shut from a few inches apart.

DC

Happy New Year guys ! I know his an old thread BUT, 1/1/2016 I just got a like new RED EVG 36V Mini folder, everything works ... Even the NiMh 36 volt battery from the lithium recall. Not sure about how far yet but. I rode it for almost an hour.

Back