Finally committed to a bike!

atom1025

100 W
I've been hunting for a good deal for four months and finally committed to 2004 Cannondale Jekyll. I am very happy with the bike and I think the wait was a good thing. Gave me lots of time to consider the pros and cons of each style. When it comes down to it my bike is a pure commuter and my commute has some rough areas that that are taxing on my ass. Also given my requirements the only ideal choice is a quality FS bike. http://images.craigslist.org/5Kf5H35J93M43F93Hcc4ea076fe71c8751243.jpg

So now I need to commit to a hub. I am 100% sure a hub is what I want. My current commuter uses a side mounted brushless that drives a sprocket on the left side. It runs 1800w peak, 1000w on the flats and I want a little more.

My bike does about 31mph wot. Totally happy with that..... well not really but I know speed is addictive and I need to know my limit....My system is currently taxed hard and runs warmer then I prefer, surely it will melt this summer if I don't watch it. I really need to gear it down but I like the speed!

So this time round I want some overhead. I want something that can take 1500-2000w for a continuous 20mins in 100*F. Is that to much to ask?

So I plan to run 15s Lipo prolly 8000mah nanos. That's the only real component I am committed to.

My commute has few stops. Nearly zero in the morning as there is no traffic at all. I take the side streets in the afternoon as there is less and slower traffic but there is four stop signs and I use them cause the lycras don't and could easily see a crash happening. Other then thefour stopsigns its pretty open.

Direct drive sounds ideal but is 60v enough to bring one alive? What DD hubs should I be looking at?

Will a Mac geared survive my requirements? What T would put me in mid 30s at 60v. 26"wheel.

Also is the pre laced rims from cellman useable or should I do motor only and get it laced to my rim...

I'm 170# and athletic build.

Good bike choice. I read cannondale and wince, thinking lefty or monoshock forks. But none of that goofy stuff on the bike you chose!

Your requirement to cruise at 30 mph for 20 min is pretty easy to meet. 45 mph for 20 min is about where the smoke comes out of 9c hubs.

So a Mac will do the trick just fine. 6t mac on 48v will hit the target.

But, if you are going to upgrade voltage anyway, then a 72v 20 amp controller will get you close to 35 mph on a 9c 2807 hub. You'll have 1500w, so it won't melt the motor, and a few more mph. But at 35, it's nearly impossible to pedal along unless you have a frankenbike crank.

You don't really "need" the nano techs. The cheap zippy 15c LiPo will handle the amp draw your rig will require and then some. Keep the pack size to 10Ah and you will keep voltage sag to a minimum.

Pure said:
You don't really "need" the nano techs. The cheap zippy 15c LiPo will handle the amp draw your rig will require and then some. Keep the pack size to 10Ah and you will keep voltage sag to a minimum.

I agree. I'd ask you to justify why you want the nanos.

The nanos fit in the box I have and were in stock at time of purchase, no real reason.

The advantages of a mac are very apealling. Lighter, torque, freewheel.

The simplicity of a DD also has its appeal.

Really leaning towards the Mac if ya think it will handle the daily grind. Is it best to order the motor allready laced or are the rims junk? I currently run tubeless.

What esc is recommended for my requirements.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

Adam

LegendLength said:
Pure said:

I agree. I'd ask you to justify why you want the nanos.
To bulk charge them in 15 minutes maybe, or running them at -20 without too much sag. :wink:
Low resistance, high C rate cells can take a lot of abuse, their price is justified for many.

Allright looks like I will take a stab at the MAC 10T kit from cellman. I will run it on 15s Lipo. Site says I should yield 31mph at 60v. Sound good? Is the 8t on 60v pushing it?

I run my 8T on 15S ( 57v nominal ) / 42A .. that's about 2500-2600w.. you should be fine doing the same power on the 10T. It will use less amps continuous than mine for sure due to the lower speed.

Just keep the amps down for starters. Try 30A.

P.S. congrats finding a cannondale jekyll. It's one of the few dual suspension bikes that has any kind of triangle space whatsoever.

I have that same swingarm on my SuperV - it's pretty thick and looks like forged aluminum to me. I deepened the axle slots a little with a file and added AmpedBikes multi-angle torque arm on LH side. The derailer came with a very hard mounting bracket that acts as torque arm on that side.

Works well with my 9C motor but it doesn't put out starting torque like the Mac may do? Like DM sez, best to stay away from the Headshok and other weird stuff they do with their mtb's.

Any story behind the swingarm? All other jekyll bikes has a different style. Also I can't find the model number anywhere and there is nothing matching in the 2004 catalalog. The bar-code indicates a 2004 "PO83549" the P is for 2004 the rest I have no idea.

Thanks for all the feedback!

All I could ever run down about Cannondale swingarm was to stay away from the bonded version which looks much different. There was also a slight difference in shock mount location between Jekyll/SuperV rear swingarms but that only affects travel.

I love my SuperV XL frame, strong, lightweight with plenty room for batteries. I've been keeping an eye out for another out west.

The Jekyll is a goof stiff frame, Don't worry about handling, it can ride much faster than your target performance.
The pivot is strong and the welding job is exceptional.

The only downside is the short shock mount, that doesn't give many options for upgrade.
I find the BB a tad low, don't try building it with smaller wheel unless you want to end up with kids crank. :wink:

My read of the site says 10 t would go 25 mph on 15s lipo, 31 mph on 20s lipo.

Above 25mph, it gets harder to gear the bike to pedal along with the motor, and you are less conspicuous to cops at 25mph vs 30. Likely you are illegal if riding 30 mph in the USA. A few states allow 30, my state does, lucky me. But 25 mph is pretty fast biking really. 20 mph the legal limit most US states. At 30mph, stopping in time for a suprise gets more and more sketchy.

But if you want the speed, then maybe go the 8t. I don't recomend the 6t.

Back