Geared Hub Motor + Thru axle ?

Am I going to start my own company selling these? No, because to do so requires a capital investment into a factory, and selling the ESC/BMS will make a pitance compared to the ongoing hassle of dealing with customers.

There is a vast chasm between 200$ hub and 1500$ hub, that's nearly an order of magnitude. The 200$ hubs are heavy as hell (actually, the quality on HUBS is quite passable even on the cheapest ones in my limited experience), the 1500$ Maxon hub will take barely the power desired for a DH bike and is retardedly expensive. I really don't see the complication in my thoughts, I want an MXUS 3k turbo with a 12mm through axle and a weight loss plan, and would gladly pay 500-600$ for it. I would also gladly pay 500-600$ for a hub like the Maxon to put on an XC bike, but 1500 is just ridiculous.

The BMS is a safety issue, they should not be sold. We have safety standards in the EU, USA etc, and lithium battery controllers that catch fire in normal use are not acceptable. Purchase was via Amazon, not Aliexpress. It's not currently clear to me where one buys a decent BMS off the shelf; hence I have designed my own.

As you say, it requires capital investment. Regardless, expensive (Maxon) or inexpensive (Chinese mid drives) both have capital investment so they both have to recoup costs and make a profit. If your "wish" was so easy, the market would be flooded.

Amazon, AliExpress are just e-commerce platforms. They are NOT entitled to enforce local laws. If you want safety, then visit your local e-bike store (yes, pay more and support your local business) and they will provide you with a reliable BMS/mid drive under warranty that conforms to local laws. If you choose to buy online then you are doing so at your own risk...simple cost/benefit analysis right.

For people who don't know, testing products and filing applications for legality costs money....this work is not free and needs to be recouped. For example, TUV certification in Germany is process and cost intensive. Many small manufacturers that produce solid products choose to not sell in that market because the markup for their products (to re-coup the TUV) would make their goods too expensive.

manray said:
Am I going to start my own company selling these? No, because to do so requires a capital investment into a factory, and selling the ESC/BMS will make a pitance compared to the ongoing hassle of dealing with customers.

There is a vast chasm between 200$ hub and 1500$ hub, that's nearly an order of magnitude. The 200$ hubs are heavy as hell (actually, the quality on HUBS is quite passable even on the cheapest ones in my limited experience), the 1500$ Maxon hub will take barely the power desired for a DH bike and is retardedly expensive. I really don't see the complication in my thoughts, I want an MXUS 3k turbo with a 12mm through axle and a weight loss plan, and would gladly pay 500-600$ for it. I would also gladly pay 500-600$ for a hub like the Maxon to put on an XC bike, but 1500 is just ridiculous.

The BMS is a safety issue, they should not be sold. We have safety standards in the EU, USA etc, and lithium battery controllers that catch fire in normal use are not acceptable. Purchase was via Amazon, not Aliexpress. It's not currently clear to me where one buys a decent BMS off the shelf; hence I have designed my own.

As you say, it requires capital investment. Regardless, expensive (Maxon) or inexpensive (Chinese mid drives) both have capital investment so they both have to recoup costs and make a profit. If your "wish" was so easy, the market would be flooded.

Amazon, AliExpress are just e-commerce platforms. They are NOT entitled to enforce local laws. If you want safety, then visit your local e-bike store (yes, pay more and support your local business) and they will provide you with a reliable BMS/mid drive under warranty that conforms to local laws. If you choose to buy online then you are doing so at your own risk...simple cost/benefit analysis right.

For people who don't know, testing products and filing applications for legality costs money....this work is not free and needs to be recouped. For example, TUV certification in Germany is process and cost intensive. Many small manufacturers that produce solid products choose to not sell in that market because the markup for their products (to re-coup the TUV) would make their goods too expensive.

Amazon isn't an e-commerce platform, they run their own warehouses and distribute. They are responsible in the same way your local stores are.

Name me one BMS i can buy from a"local" that's decent. Genuinely want to know. Over in the battery part of this forum, everyone is using AliExpress ones and suffering the quality. Occasionally someone tries some niche "western"brand only to find they're equally shit.

I don't think my wish is difficult. I just don't think the Chinese companies like mxus have realized there's a huge mid range market yet. They focus too hard on rock bottom prices, so low the postage is 50% of the cost. They'll sell a 100$item for 200 with postage and who wouldn't pay 300$ for a200$ item.

TUV certification isn't a requirement. I don't know where you get that idea. Not causing fires is.

mxlemming said:
manray said:

Amazon isn't an e-commerce platform, they run their own warehouses and distribute. They are responsible in the same way your local stores are.

Name me one BMS i can buy from a"local" that's decent. Genuinely want to know. Over in the battery part of this forum, everyone is using AliExpress ones and suffering the quality. Occasionally someone tries some niche "western"brand only to find they're equally shit.

I don't think my wish is difficult. I just don't think the Chinese companies like mxus have realized there's a huge mid range market yet. They focus too hard on rock bottom prices, so low the postage is 50% of the cost. They'll sell a 100$item for 200 with postage and who wouldn't pay 300$ for a200$ item.

TUV certification isn't a requirement. I don't know where you get that idea. Not causing fires is.

Amazon is also an e-commerce platform where I am (3rd party products...no warranty from Amazon). Anyway, what you're asking for should be easy enough right? So the question is, why can't you find a reliable BMS in the West. Why blame China? World Bank and others consider it a developing country. In the USA, you should blame the government and corporations that were short sighted and greedy for instant profits. They moved ALL manufacturing overseas for wage arbitrage which translates to massive profit for the Elite 10%. If you live in the 5 Eyes Countries, not being able to find a solid BMS is the least of your worries. The governments are a Kakistocracy.

Back