Hall sensor error??

Hey y’all so basically I’m a brand new midrive Ebike owner and have encountered my first real issue. A common theme I’m seeing is a hall sensor fault. For context whenever I turn my Ebike on I get about three maybe four seconds of power and it cuts itself off. My display then flashes “E: 8 speed fault. Upon inspection and clean there’s no issues with the 8 speed hub nor chain nor derailer besides some slight wear. So I’ve heard hall sensor fault is what I have. HOW DO I FIX THAT I have minimal tools thankfully the person I bought the bike off supplied me with that I think are basics but I have absolutely no technical knowledge of the matter. Any and all help is appreciated this thing is my income and my transport to both my jobs. I am homless if I can’t get er running in the next few days it’s urgent please

Attachments

• 465E4573-DA33-4EC8-926A-26F18C187C21.png
    465E4573-DA33-4EC8-926A-26F18C187C21.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 344
Did the system ever work correctly for you?

If so, what happened just before the problem started?

If not, did the seller tell you about what happened to it before the problem started for them, if they were having it?

Which specific middrive system do you have? Different ones may produce different error codes for the same fault condition; knowing which one it is may help us find a manual for yours (if yours didn't come with one) that lists error codes and possible symptoms.

Unfortunately error names are often misleading. A "speed fault" could be a speed sensor for the motor, for the cranks, or for the wheel. There are other much less likely possibilities too. It'd be very unusual for any system to be able to monitor your gearing, chain, derailer, or shifters, so it probably has nothing to do with any of those.

In your case, as an educated guess, you have what is most likely best expressed as Error Code Number 8, Speed Sensor Fault. Meaning, it probably can't correctly read the sensor that tells the system how fast the bike's monitored wheel is moving. If this is the case, it's probably an external sensor with a wire back to the main system casing (at your pedals) that's mounted to the frame somewhere next to the front or rear wheel, and a magnet on the actual wheel, probalby on a spoke.

If the sensor is moved away or towards the magnet, or the magnet moved away or towards the sensor, it may cause it not to read correctly. Depending on the system, 5-10mm distance when the magnet passes the sensor is probably about right. Some sensors have a marking on them to show where the magnet must be parallel to as it passes.

If the wire from the sensor to the system is damaged, any readings it gets may not make it back to the system.

If there is water ingress into the sensor (or cabling, or system at the wiring inlet), same problem.

For other possible issues, we'll need to know more about the system and the results of checking the above.

Pokemonman9989 said:
Hey y’all so basically I’m a brand new midrive Ebike owner and have encountered my first real issue. A common theme I’m seeing is a hall sensor fault. For context whenever I turn my Ebike on I get about three maybe four seconds of power and it cuts itself off. My display then flashes “E: 8 speed fault. Upon inspection and clean there’s no issues with the 8 speed hub nor chain nor derailer besides some slight wear. So I’ve heard hall sensor fault is what I have. HOW DO I FIX THAT I have minimal tools thankfully the person I bought the bike off supplied me with that I think are basics but I have absolutely no technical knowledge of the matter. Any and all help is appreciated this thing is my income and my transport to both my jobs. I am homless if I can’t get er running in the next few days it’s urgent please

Back