Help me choose the best battery!

Pinesal said:
I appreciate all the help. I really do but this thread has me more conflicted than anything. I thought it was generally agreed that lifpo4 was the best choice for ebikes but now I believe that there isnt an agreed apon, best type. It feels like it's still a risk no matter what I choose.
That was the reasoning behind my first post to this thread:
LewTwo said:
There is no one "Best Battery" short of a Star Trek power module which seem to be in short supply.
Most of the information and options presented above will work but determining what is 'best' is a matter of on your needs, abilities, desires, budget and preferences.

EDIT: Keep in mind that some people are very passionate about their preferences. They may be trying convince themselves more than others.

Pinesal said:
I appreciate all the help. I really do but this thread has me more conflicted than anything. I thought it was generally agreed that lifpo4 was the best choice for ebikes but now I believe that there isnt an agreed apon, best type. It feels like it's still a risk no matter what I choose.
Just pick a battery suitable for your system from a rated vendor you trust. All the rage these days seems to be a single vendor, many of us have been buying from an Aliexpress vendor who, from my tear downs and comparisons, uses identical build styles and BMS as the popular kid.

Unit Pack Power. Budget priced and built batteries. They'll work with you as well as most discount battery sellers. Returns are not possible. But they're getting near impossible from USA vendors. UPP is on Facebook, the internet and Aliexpress. Aliexpress offers some better protections. Make sure you specify the cells and BMS range you want. The new builds from EM3 are vastly improved. Lately I've seen some batts from Matt at Empowered, they are nice too. The high priced guys are often really good about warranty. A one year full warranty raises the prices. There are losers in the 30 day full-90 day limited warranty buyers. A pal of mine was one. Battery came back from repair with the on off switch disabled. He has no idea what ES is.

Just because the problems aren't showing up here doesn't mean they aren't happening. An amazing number of eBike riders and kit builders do not use and do not like ES. Implying and assuming batteries are better from a supplier as a function of time in business is malarky. For many of us one battery is all we can afford and I think the old school here forgets that they are not the market. What's comfortable for an electrical engineer is anything but comfortable for an accountant etc.

Thanks for all the advice, I gave myself about 3 weeks to think on this and I decided to grab a prebuilt Luna Cycle battery. ( https://lunacycle.com/triangle-52v-panasonic-ga-18650-24ah-pack-high-power-long-range/ )

When I get it I'll hook it up and report back.

Thanks again everyone!

Hey all. my battery was delivered about two weeks ago and I am ready go give my impressions.

First, it barely fits under my bike seat. I think I may be partially sitting on it but I am not sure. It sticks up about a quarter inch above the rim of the seat bucket.

I also ordered their watt meter and the 80%-90%-100% charger. When I plug the charger in at first it's very loud. Like the fan is vibrating, after about 30 seconds, it quiets down. I can still hear the fan but it doesn't sound like it's vibrating.

I am going from about 75lbs of lead batteries to this 12lbs battery. It's very nice to lose all that weight. Pedaling is much easier. Acceleration is better and I can climb hills faster. Top speed on level ground is about 22mph. Top speed before with the lead was about the same but now I am at top speed more often.

I bought the 24AH battery so lets talk about range. I haven't done a capacity test (full drain), I want to just trust the specs are correct. So riding the bike about 9 miles to work uses up about 6ah or about 350 watt hours. So a full charged battery should take me about 35 miles right? That's pretty amazing, That more than double what the lead batteries were giving me.

I am pretty happy with this battery. I'll be happy to answer any questions about it.

Hello everyone, I'm looking into a second battery for my first build. My first battery is a unit pack power triangle that I have in a trunk bag for shock and water proof so the second one I wanted a haillong but I don't want to spend too much on it. Long story short, can anyone recommend a good cheap 52v 20ah 30a max battery that you've had a positive experience with? Thanks

MikeNess_ said:
Hello everyone, I'm looking into a second battery for my first build. My first battery is a unit pack power triangle that I have in a trunk bag for shock and water proof so the second one I wanted a haillong but I don't want to spend too much on it. Long story short, can anyone recommend a good cheap 52v 20ah 30a max battery that you've had a positive experience with? Thanks

You'll need the larger (jumbo) Hailong cases that can hold 84 cells, since you'll need 6P to get to 20Ah, using high capacity cells. The more common size only fits 5P with 14S. I don't see as many vendors selling 14S6P hailong packs, so you may have limited choices, unless you get one custom made by a reputable builder, or take your chances on what you find while searching.

Of course there are always the vendors that claim 25Ah from a normal Hailong pack, so don't fool yourself into buying one of those. If the price is less than $400, then it's most likely fake.

MikeNess_ said:
...can anyone recommend a good cheap 52v 20ah 30a max battery...
Probably have to reset your expectations.

Good | Cheap

For battery packs, can't have both.

99t4 said:
MikeNess_ said:
...can anyone recommend a good cheap 52v 20ah 30a max battery...
Probably have to reset your expectations.

Good | Cheap

For battery packs, can't have both.

You can use automotive cells (which are better than our money can buy new) and assemble your own pack. That's cheap and potentially good. It won't be light.

"Cramming" cells that are glued together is what we get with many Hailong case users. I prefer cell separators for a better build!

Back