help me chose a motor for my electrathon racer

ProEV

10 W
Greetings motor experimenters,

I need to find a new motor for my electrathon racer. The old one was damaged by overheating and, despite valiant effort, a professional rewind shop could not get the same amount of wires back in.

Electrathon racing is one of the most fun, inexpensive, open engineering forms of racing. While the speeds tend to be low, 25-30 MPH on tight twisty parking lot tracks, the combination of close racing, low grip tires and instant torque make for exciting challenging driving.

Most races are an hour long and pack capacity is limited to 1000 Watt hours. Vehicle design is very open. Basically more then two wheels and a driver balasted to 180 pounds. More about electrathon racing here: http://www.electrathonamerica.org/Welcome_to_Electrathon_America.html

An in car video from my car: http://proev.com/PEVvids/2015/usf2015_2.htm

For any electric racing vehicle who's battery pack capacity is optimised for it's series (meaning that the vehicle only carries enough batteries to finish the race), motor efficiency is normally of greater importance than motor torque or power.

To rephrase this, to be fast, it is generally more important to get the most work out of the stored energy than peak torque or power.

Back to this specific case. I am running Kokam lithium polymer cells. 16 in series, each rated for 16 amp hours. This works out to 59.2 nominal voltage and a tested capacity of 947 Watt hours at the 1C discharge rate.

Since the races are 1 hour long, the motor should see an average of around 947 Watts (assuming I do my job correctly).

The way to get the most energy out of the battery pack is to ran a current of 16 amps the whole race. This is because Puekert's exponent is an exponent. The faster I discharge the battery, the exponentially less total energy the battery will be able to deliver. For the Kokam High Energy type cells the change in pack capacity is small, 98%@ 2C, 97% @3C, but 78%@5C.

So, ideally, all I need is the best 947 Watt continuous rated motor around. Except real world, I cannot run a constant current of 16 amps. I need to lift (and regen) for the tighter corners which means I can use more power the rest of the time. It is also useful to have extra power when dicing with another car. We also occasionally blow a tire or lose a chain and then need to run higher amps to make up for time lost in the pits.

The other factor is that the motor controller combination is more efficient at full throttle than at partial throttle. So the best driving technicque seems to be full throttle coming out of the corner and then lift and coast until the next corner.

My clearest testing of this method is with the Adaptto Max-e controller and my old motor on an oval track where lifting for the corner was not required.

First I tried setting an 16 amp limit in the controller. Lap times were 20% slower using the same power, than when I moved my amp limit to 60 amps and use full throttle and lift and coast.

I also tried setting a constant speed in the controller. This method used 11% more power to go the same speed than I could achieve with the list and coast method.

It is possible that these differences are due to something funky in how Adaptto limits speed or max current but I also found that my best lift and coast lap at the 30 amp limit was 1.4% slower and used 1.8% more power than when I set the limit at 60 amps.

My conclusion is that current limit and speed limit methods basically set the controller to a constant partial throttle that was less efficient than the higher power setting. Running lift and coast at 60 amps is greater 'on' time then 30 amps and also slightly more efficient.

My last motor was capable of 12,000 Watts peak. Ideally, I think I would like a motor that can do 2,000 Watts continuously and 8,000 Watts peak (8C is the limit of the pulse discharge of the cells).

I am planning on using a Grin BAC2000 Controller or an Adaptto Max-e.

I have read that the ideal hub motor is always going to be less efficient than the ideal mid drive. Is that true?

I am running 16" wheels which limits my choices in hub motors as well. My current set up is a middrive using a #35 chain and go kart gears. This allows me a fair amount of flexibility to adjust the motor RPM. I carefully adjust and lube the chain so I hope this only costs 1-2% energy loss.

So to sum things up, I need a motor that can do 2,000 Watts continuously and between 5,000 and 8,000 peak. It should be as efficient as possible with a fairly broad efficiency curve. It needs to be able to do regenerative braking. The lighter the motor, the better.

Suggestions?

So, since an efficient motor is the key to going fast(because batteries are heavy and fast vehicles are light), I need a way to compare how well the motor turns electric power into mechanical power.

So, doing a bit of reading and it looks like the motor constant Km is the main thing I should be looking at. Specific Km allows weight of the motor to be considered as well.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=45489

Here is a motor comparison page:

https://endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Electric_Motor_Selection

A good place to start but sadly, it does not seem to include enough info to calculate Km.

Miles,

Thank you for this pointer. It took me a number of days to get through the 20+ pages but it was an education. The motor comparison spread sheet is great.

One thing I gleaned from the information is that bigger motors are generally more efficient than smaller motors. So I have to come up with a way of comparing the energy that will be required to move the extra weight against how much energy I gain by the higher efficiency motor.

Rough estimate says, on average, during a race, I am using 925 Watts to move a 313 lbs. So 2.95 Watts per pound. A 1% increase in efficiency will give me another 9.25 Watts. So very roughly, 3 pounds is worth 1% point gain in efficiency.

So, just comparing peak efficiency for simplicity sake, the Astro 3220 4t at 4 pounds and 93.45% and the MidMonster 25.5 pounds and 95.34%. Now, subtract 2% efficiency for a chain drive for the Astro and add 1 pound for chain and gear. So call it 4% difference which is 12 pounds gain vs. 21 pounds extra weight. The Astro 3220 has the edge.

On the other hand, the smaller Astro 3210 8t weighs 2.125 lbs and has a peak efficiency of 92.94%. So, .5% efficiency gain is worth 1.5 lbs which gives the lighter motor a slight advantage but will it run a little hotter decreasing it's efficiency?

Here's another thread that's relevant. Sorry, it took a while to find it :)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=76018

Also, in case it's useful:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=76018

Archer321,

Still working on it...

Miles,

Both links lead to the same place. Was there a second one you meant to paste in?

It looks like James (ColumbMotorsports) is working with a very similar set of constraints, looking for high efficiency with slightly lower voltage but around
the same total pack capacity. It is interesting to see his reasoning.

I have been working with the motor comparison spread sheet. Unfortunately, I am on a computer that does not have the space to install Open Office and Excel keeps 'fixing' your .ODS file by removing the equations, so I am using the play_around3.xls that crossbreak posted here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=183451

I am a little unsure whether using the spreadsheet the way I am going to, gives real information. I would like to know how efficient the motors will operate
under the power loads I will be using in the race. My average usage power from the battery is going to be 945 Watts.

So I set the RPM for the Astro 3220 4t (column AD in Motor Data V4.33, column AG in Play_around3) to 1000 and then selected a value for torque of 9 Nm (Column AE and AH respectively) that gives me my planned power usage of 945 Watts (column AF and AK respectively). I recognize this is power out of the motor, not power out of the battery. This gives me the ETA % (Column AJ and AQ) which I think tells me how efficient the motor will be under these conditions. I repeat the steps for the RPM range I expect to be operating in (2000 to 10,000 RPM) which is 10 MPH to 40 MPH with my gearing.

Now I repeat the process using the MidMonster except using 200 RPM to 900 RPM which gives me around the same MPH range for a hub motor on a 16" wheel.

HubMonster vs Astro 1C.jpg

This gives me motor efficiency graphs of the two motors at 1C discharge. One thing I notice is that both for both motors at the upper end of the RPM range,
the Min Battery Volt (column AI) goes above my pack voltage which I take to mean, that I will not be able to get this much power and this is only a theoretical efficiency.

In the actual races, I slow for the corners and accelerate out. This means I should look at efficiency when using more power. I choose 3C which is 2835 Watts
and repeat the process for each motor.

View attachment 1

Next, I apply the correction for the extra weight of the MidMonster and the efficiency cost of running a chain on the Astro.

HubMonster vs Astro corrected for weight.jpg

My conclusion is that under all of my conditions, the Astro 3220 4t will be more efficient than the MidMonster.

Anybody see any flaws to my reasoning? If not, I need to compare the different Astro choices next.

Edit: all charts are for MidMonster not HubMonster.

ProEV said:
Unfortunately, I am on a computer that does not have the space to install Open Office and Excel keeps 'fixing' your .ODS file by removing the equations,.......
My mistake again.... There should always be an .ODS and an .XLS version in the first post of the thread. I seem to have uploaded the .ODS version twice, the last time I updated. Anyway, the .XLS version is now there.

Miles,

Thanks for posting an .xls version. Is there a reason, in the second section, not to have the minimum voltage and current columns after the Speed, Torque and before Power Out column?

Since my highly speculative comparison of different motor efficiency's indicates the Astro 3220 will be more efficient for my purposes than the MidMonster hub motor, I will move on to comparing the 3220 4 turn to it's smaller siblings the 3210 in various windings. From Miles posts, I have the data for 6,7 and 12 turn, as well as the 8 turn already in the spread sheet.

Astro@1C.jpg

The 3220 4t has a clear advantage to about 6,000 RPM and then, just as clear disadvantage. The 3210 6t seems the best of the 3210s.

Astro@3C.jpg

At the 3C power levels, the 3220 4t has a clear advantage.

Then I correct for the extra weight of the 3220 4t compared to the lighter 3210s, put it all to MPH, and cut the 3210s to the 6t and 12t.

Astro CFW.jpg

This graph seems to give the 3220 4t the efficiency advantage especially if I limit my acceleration to 1C up to around 25 MPH and then accelerate at 3C.

But...

With the 3220 4t, anything over 8,000 RPM and the Min. Battery Voltage goes above my lowest pack voltage. My guess is that this means, late in the race, the lower voltage will not be enough to get the motor up to these speeds.

When I look at the 3210 12t at 9,000 RPM, it's Min Battery voltage is higher than my highest pack voltage, so it will never get to these speeds. The 8t is borderline but the 7t and 6t are fine. In fact, the 6t is happy up at 11,000 RPM.

Now I am somewhat confused. Am I understanding this correctly?

Hi All,

Astro flight (http://www.astroflight.com) has replied and they suggest the 3220 4T. They feel the efficiency will be about the same as the smaller motors at the 1kW and better at 3kW. He also says that the motor should go to 9,000 at 60 volts without field weakening which is a good match to what the spreadsheet seems to be telling me.

Hi All,

I have ordered the Astro Flight 4220 4t. I went with the optional 1/2" shaft and temperature sensor. Both ends of the motor will be ported for better cooling and lighter weight. I am supplying full ceramic caged bearings. I asked if they would install Halls sensors but this is not a service they supply. The Grin BAC2000 Controller (http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/controllers/c-bac2000.html) does both sensored and sensorless but the hot ticket seems to be sensored at start up, then sensorless, so I might rig up Halls myself.

Thanks for the help,

Cliff

Well be sure to keep us updated as you get it installed and test it out.
The occasional pic wouldn't be bad either...

The Astro Flight 3220 4t motor arrived. I checked resistance between leads. .0367 ohms, .0340 ohms, .0385 ohms. Within measurement error tolerance of the .032 Astro Flight lists. I set up the BAC 2000 controller and get a no load battery current of 1.718 and 4789 rpm. They list 1.5 amps.

I mounted the motor with the 4 #6 screw holes in the front faceplate. I did a quick test run and the chain came off the gear on the rear wheel and caught between the rear wheel and the wheel supports. This sudden locking of the chain twisted the motor supports and broke the ceramic race of the non stock front bearing that I had supplied. I replaced the front motor bearing with a hybrid- steel race, ceramic balls. The full ceramic rear bearing was fine.

I drilled and tapped 4 #6 holes in the rear of the motor and added supports there as well. The motor is now very solidly mounted.

After adjusting some settings, the motor moves off from a dead start without difficulty in the sensorless mode. There does not seem to be any need for Halls sensors.

To get as close as possible to the most efficient RPM range, I am running the largest #35 gear on the rear wheel that will fit, a 114 tooth and a 12 tooth gear on the motor. This is a 9.5 to 1 ratio. Unfortunately, any flexing of the rear wheel supports under cornering loads will be magnified by the distance between the axle and the outer edge of the gear and increase the possibility of the chain coming off.

On our small test track, I am quickly turning lap times as fast as the old motor and at comparable energy usage. The Astro Flight motor and BAC2000 controller motor are as good as the old motor and Adaptto controller combination it replaced and 20 pounds lighter. We only get a short testing time, so while I suspect there is more performance, I do not get the lap time to prove it.

At the first race of the season, the big gear catches us out. We throw the chain twice. Video here: http://proev.com/RRptPgsSC/R160001a.htm

In the second race of the day, we run a smaller gear and have a comfortable lead before blowing our rear tire at the 30 minute mark.

I am pleased with the motor's performance.

Cliff

Glad to hear you are back up and running.
You mentioned running a 9.5:1 drive ratio to keep the motor speed up where it was most efficient.
How did you determine what speed that was?

The July 29 posting in this thread pretty much describes how I calculated what the most efficient RPM for the motor would be.

I estimate the speed range I expect for the track and then gear the motor to try and stay in the most efficient RPM range.

It also seems important to consider that efficiency depends both on RPM and current. At some RPM' s, I might do well to limit my current to 1C (16 amps with my pack) and at other points in the RPM range, I might be more efficient with more current.

So it sounds like your efficiency point was determined mathematically. I don't have access to any real performance data from the manufacturer on my motor so I have had to determine my efficiency point empirically. It will be interesting to see if your real-world data supports the mathematical models in the long term.

So, just comparing peak efficiency for simplicity sake, the Astro 3220 4t at 4 pounds and 93.45% and the MidMonster 25.5 pounds and 95.34%.

Peak efficiency is less relevant then the power this efficiency occurs at, Astro motors have inherent low torque and hence low power 1250w at low RPM where this peak efficiency occurs at . the astro motors at 4kw are only 92% efficient which is good but not that much more then normal motors like the cyclone at 88%, and since you cannot use any sinewave controller but only square wave ESC like normal motors that's an extra efficiency loss that you would get on a normal motor with FOC controller. Also astros generaly run at higher RPM then other motors and the more reduction is needed the more losses in effiency in the gearbox as well.

This was discussed here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65757&p=1125204&hilit=72v+cyclone#p1125204
"So on column R i can see the cyclone motor efficiency peaks at 89.95% and peak power at this efficiency is 5980w, is that running 72v ? wow thats a lot of power from such a small motor! and the efficiency is very similar to the ASTRO motors of 3210 8t has 93% efficient but at a low lower power of 1219 W and the 3220 4t has 93% efficiency but at low peak power of 2830w is that true ?"

So you need to compare apples and apples of the whole drive system nd at high power where most of the losses occur not only peak effficiency because. At low power in % terms their is always less loses so high power losses are more of interest as they are the largest.

In terms of overall efficiency it's always better to use a motor capable of significantly greater power than is required for the application at the voltage you run. In addition, as previously noted using different wording, a larger motor of similar peak efficiency is worth its extra weight due to less losses in the gear reduction as well as better ability to absorb the short peaks of maximum heat generation (for a cooler and therefore more efficient running motor). Greater reliability and quieter operation are great side benefits as well.

Hi Alex,

Keep in mind the application, as stated in the first post of this thread. The vehicle has 947 Watt hours battery capacity for a 1 hour race. Ideally, I average 947 Watts all race. Since it is a road course, I will regen for the corners and accelerate out, so brief higher power less efficient moments, but I have looked at the whole curve and, as long as I keep within certain limits, the efficiency costs are minor.

The Astro runs cleanly on the BAC2000 which is an FOC controller, so I do get that efficiency advantage.

Drive train losses do need to be considered and quantified. I used 2% efficiency penalty for the gearing in my calculations which requires good alignment, proper tension and lubrication. I hope I can get there.

I try and avoid apple to apple comparison when I am looking for pomegranates.

John in CR said:
In terms of overall efficiency it's always better to use a motor capable of significantly greater power than is required for the application at the voltage you run. In addition, as previously noted using different wording, a larger motor of similar peak efficiency is worth its extra weight due to less losses in the gear reduction as well as better ability to absorb the short peaks of maximum heat generation (for a cooler and therefore more efficient running motor). Greater reliability and quieter operation are great side benefits as well.

Hi John,

The question I face is whether the penalty of the additional weight of the greater power motor offsets the gains in efficiency. Since the race conditions are very specific, I came up with a method to estimate of which way will give me more Watt hours to move each pound over the race distance. More efficiency gives me more Watt hours but the bigger motor gives me more pounds to move. In this specific situation, the Astro seems to have the advantage. Do you see a different way to calculate this?

The gear reduction efficiency costs remain a guess based on experience and hear say.

The cooler and thus more efficient motor is another interesting point. We really should test efficiency at different temperatures. Anyone have actual data?

Back