Help on Hooking up new controller

xlzeo

10 W
hey everyone,
i have a magice pie 3 (GM), i'v swept the controller for
external one (chinse one ) and I have no idea how hook it up
the wiring diagram the seller provide me is useless
any one have an idea how hook it up simple way ?
:)
thanks and nice day

(by the way it's 48 controller can get to 1500w)

hey guys,
i have this motor Golden motor magic pie 3
20120115000226.jpg

and this chinise controller
60V1500W_08.jpg

any one has any idea how to hook them togeder?, videos, pictures will be wonderfull

here is the instructions from the seller i coulnt under stand much:
(Connection Table:

1.)Power cables: big red + big black
2.) Electric Door Lock Cable: middle red
3.)Motor cables: big yellow + big green + big blue
4.)Hall cables: small red, small black, small yellow, small green, small blue
5.)Reverser cables: small red + small blue + small black
6.)Speed cables: blue(high speed)+ black + +gray(low speed)
7.)Brake-hi cable: yellow
8.)Brake-low cable: yellow + black
9.)Anti-theft cables:Red(Positive) + Black(power) Red(E-Start) + Blue(Motor Lock Signal) + Green(Motor Lock)
10.)E-ABS: two blue cables matched
11.)Cruise: two Gray cables connecting together.
12.)Self-study cable: two white cables with black plugs)

Install Guide:

1.) Controller's plug must be connected tight. Controller power's positive & negative must be connected right.

2.)Motor auto recognized mode: After connecting the power cables, reversing cables, braking cables, connect the self-study cables(white), open the dog lock, enable the motor to be auto recognized statement. If the motor runs reverse, then turn the reversing to make the motor runs right. when running the motor under the controller-recognize-motor mode for 10s, plug out the self-study plugs, then the motor auto recognized mode is set.

thanks

amberwolf said:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Determining_the_Wiring_for_a_Brushless_Motor

Hi xlzeo

Definitely reference the post above. Download and print the spreadsheet/PDF.

NOW we take things slow and SYSTEMATICALLY (No shortcuts, no distractions, no RUSH, etc).

This is how I got myself up and running again (very quickly after having to replace my controller after a "little mishap").

Using the notes you supplied lets try the following - (My quotes in RED).

1.)Power cables: big red + big black (CONECT TO YOUR BATTERY, Pos (+ve) to Neg (+ve).
2.) Electric Door Lock Cable: middle red (Not sure let me think about this, sounds like an ignition switch, ON/OFF, etc)
3.)Motor cables: big yellow + big green + big blue (Gotta be your phase cables - to motor windings -NB! Mine came with cheap bullet connectors, basically an open connector with some green silicone tubing, make sure these DO not touch any of the other phase cables - :shock: )
4.)Hall cables: small red, small black, small yellow, small green, small blue (RED goes to positive, BLACK to negative, YELLOW, BLUE, GREEN are the HALL SENSORS)
5.)Reverser cables: small red + small blue + small black (Possibly kicks in REGEN when applying brake, ignore for now)
6.)Speed cables: blue(high speed)+ black + +gray(low speed) (My previous controller had the same options, High Speed give MAX assist and LOW speed give lower assist, you don't mention if there is a PEDELEC sensor, ignore for now)
7.)Brake-hi cable: yellow (Assume this is FRONT BRAKE (This will shut off THROTTLE) IGNORE for now.)
8.)Brake-low cable: yellow + black (Assume this is the REAR BRAKE (Will also shut off THROTTLE IGNORE for now.)
9.)Anti-theft cables:Red(Positive) + Black(power) Red(E-Start) + Blue(Motor Lock Signal) + Green(Motor Lock) (IGNORE for now)
10.)E-ABS: two blue cables matched (Apologies, not sure on that score, IGNORE)
11.)Cruise: two Gray cables connecting together.(Also IGNORE for now, not sure.)
12.)Self-study cable: two white cables with black plugs (Wow that would be a great simplified procedure, assuming the controller has the intelligence to automatically adapt HALL/PHASE combos! IGNORE for now.)

Basically what we want to achieve is the following -

BATTERY PACK connected to controller, PHASE Wires to MOTOR, HALL Sensor wires to MOTOR and THROTTLE connection.

What is interesting is you seem to have a Magic Pie III with an external Controller. GM initially started supplying these GEN III with internal HUB controllers.

OK? Having tried my NOOB attempt to assist, we need to confirm the following -

BATTERY connected to CONTROLLER?

PHASE and HALL wires connected to motor?

THROTTLE connected to CONTROLLER?

Next question - DOES CONTROLLER TURN ON? If yes and with PHASE/HALL leads connected try a very SLOW throttle opening, ANY BUZZING/GRINDING noise - IMMEDIATLEY back off the throttle - :oops:

Now the fun starts - USE the SPREADSHEET!

a. Make sure the Bike is properly secured. i.e - It is not going run around the room with you on a wild Waltz while you try get off the throttle. Make sure the vehicle is secured and the hub/wheel is well off the ground - :wink:
b. An assumption having looked at the pic you supplied(the HALL sensor block is not JXT (Those small block black connectors are a Big PITA).
c: Sit your ARSE on the ground next to the bike. (This process may take a while). Make sure you have spreadsheet, PEN/PENCIL on-hand and the necesaeray tools to be able to unplug the PINS from the blocks. (To save time -)

What I did was this - with all power off, I pulled all the hall sensor pins and Phase leads out of the connection blocks (You can do this from Controller or Motor side. I then cut a few lengths of heat shrink that could cover the exposed pins and slid them over the exposed pins (Saved time adjusting combinations when reconnecting pins, just make sure the pins are not exposed when reconnecting (Avoids shorting).

d: START Slowly with the spreadsheet. JUST DO IT from step one to end (Trust me, I only found the correct PHASE/HALL combo ON STEP 12 for my setup.

e: For every PHASE/HALL Sensor combination you try, use the checklist and mark off in the block. i.e. Slowly on the throttle, any BUZZING/GRINDING noise - WRONG COMBO! Back off the throttle shutdown everything and start with the next set on the spreadsheet.

MARK the results on the spreadsheet. ie. - Motor does not run - BIG - X, GRINDING/BUZZING Noise - BIG - X

This will take a little bit of diligence and time (DO NOT GET FRUSTRATED! DO NOT GET DISTRACTED! - You will WIN!

f: If you think the COMBINATION is correct, crank the throttle, notch for notch - SLOWLY - till you are happy that the motor just spools up with that SMOOTH whine and WOT (Wide open throttle at [NO LOAD]) just has those spokes spinning (Real FAST! - :D ).

g: Once you are happy that THROTTLE, CONTROLLER and MOTOR are all in synch. (RUNNING SMOOTHLY). You may want to try start connecting the other fail-safes the controller offer. (I disconnected my PEDELEC SENSOR). However I can override the throttle with the either brake levers (TRUST me, I have been at WOT, just tapped the brake lever and overridden the controller to shutdown). Some situations have seen me WOT and I cannot get off the throttle quick enough - E-BRAKE over-ride saved my ass.

h: Before you begin anything, please understand that I offer this advice as an E-BIKE NOOB. However the information and assistance I received from this forum and it's members has been invaluable. I commute daily with a much lower powered bike and am Loving IT!

I have updated the PHASE/COMBO spreadsheet to color. Just made it easier for me to see - This is not my work and remains with full CREDIT and required PERMISSION from the author -You are welcome to download my revised idea if this will assist - http://www.lindo.co.za/images/HallPhase/Phase-Hall-Wire-Combinations.xls.

I am sure one our more experienced members will be able to assist you with more pertinent info, especicailly regardingthe controller's other wiring hookups.

Cheers Mark

thanks for the long and informative answer it is working perfectrly few days already , suprizly i connected all the wires and all the colors matched and it run perfect , nice super cheap controller by the way

xlzeo said:
thanks for the long and informative answer it is working perfectrly few days already , suprizly i connected all the wires and all the colors matched and it run perfect , nice super cheap controller by the way

Fantastic, (Keep on FROCKING!), That's great news ! Use the KISS principle. PLUG and PLAY!

My apologies, I just took a quick assumption that you received a kit with mismatched wiring/components.

I F**ed up my basic E-BIKE setup in a small ICE altercation. I then decided to buy a few SOLID set of components (Controller, CA, etc.) Kit was delivered as promised and had to use the above sheet to "MATCH" Controller wiring HALL/PHASE to a very limited "2C" 10 AH battery pack. Sorted! (NOT great - just surviving - limping along).

Just a quick question - Your battery setup? LIPO/LIFE04? Charging setup,etc ?

When you have a moment, please post a few PIC's of your creation - I'm still on the "COOKIE CUTTER" (A very basic E-Bike factory supplied setup). I am on the slow conversion process to a better setup, "250w" is proving to be a little limited.

Glad to hear that you are up and running -Safe Riding - Cheers Mark

i have lif4po 48v 12ah
charger is 2ah

i didnt make a photos during the process but i can give pictures of the final job, it work great and make about 60 kmh, very strong setup,
i rebuilt the motor and with old inner tube iv made the whole thing waterproof series,
and iv wired everything up with new high quality and high capacity wires + connectors

Back