Help! trouble shooting a wot signal on a CA V3 to a lyen 18f

mjayt

10 mW
So I have a 2013 Montague Paratrooper Pro that I have converted to a Ebike with a HI-powered cycles Striker motor that has been drilled for ventilation and has a linear temp sensor. the Striker motor is being controlled by the Lyen 18 fet controller. I have two Lyen controllers one is pre CA v3 or v2.3 and the other is setup for the CA v3. the motor is sensored and test good with the ebike tester I got from Lyen. The throttle Cruise and three position switch are all the ones that Lyen provides or sells with his controllers. I Have Tektro auigura hydraulic disc brakes front and rear. They are the brakes I bought with the motor from HPC and the rear leverl has the brake cut off switch. There is no cut off switch for the front brakes. The battery I am running is the HPC 90v 12s 65amp elite. It consists of two of their 45v batteries run in parallel. The battery is mounted in HPC's large half frame battery bag. The CA is the V3 prelm6 version.

I had it all setup on the earlier v2.3 lyen controller with ebikes.ca's v2-v3 adapter. at first it had the wot signal. I followed the unoffical ca v3 setup guide and found that me min throtle input was setup above what the the throtlle was inputing. I adjusted that and all seemed to work. I did not yet have the Hall and phase wire combos figured out yet, so the motor was not turning, but the throttle on the ca went all the way up and down on the screen as it should when applying and releasing the throttle. I got the hall and phase setup and plugged in and my throttle input signal level changed as I plugged them in and it went to WOT. When it did the motor spun backwards forcing the pedals backwards and tearing out a lot of the wires I had setup for the lyen controller that are mounted on the bottom of the battery bag between the pedals. I had not yet had a chance to tidy up the wires because I was still connecting and disconnecting them for trouble shooting purposes. I also did not expect the motor to spin up yet. the throttle was off. I traced and tested all wires for continuity and fixed what needed to be fixed. the ca now had gone back to controlling the throttle correctly. I should also mention the throttle setting on the CA is and has always been set to pass-through. also I have the cruise that was provided by Lyen hooked in parallel with the lyen provided throttle. Even though the throttle was normal now the wheel did not spin even with the hall and phase connected. I tested the hall and phase with my Lyen ebike tester and the signal was stuck on the yellow phase of the controller and not cycling as it should have been. as I was doing that the controller started to get warm and then made some big sparks. One of the testers motor hall wires had come lose and contacted the case of the controler. i quickly disconnected the tester and shut every thing down. I then checked some wires and powered the system back up and the motor spun backwards again until I turn the power off. I readjusted the max in throttle and powered it backup and all seemed to be fine but the motor would not spin. The throttle now went up and down on the CA display though.

I let it sit for a few days and later messed with the phase and hall wire combos and got the motor to spin forward briefly and stop. after that It is giving me a consitant 3.89v-3.94v min throttle input, but only when I plug the wires of the throttle in backwards. also the throttle goes to wot. which is what I think it should do. when I plug the wires in correctly it just gives me a blinking blank screen on the CA. I have tried adjusting the input and output voltages with out any change in the blinking screen when the throttle is connected correctly. So thinking there is something wrong with the controller I am using, I switched to the CA v3 Lyen controler. I have yet to get the motor to spin on the ca v3 Lyen controller with the same hall and phase combos that I used on the other controller. The v3 lyen controler is also having the same symptoms of a consitant 3.89v-3.94v min throttle input, but only when I plug the wires of the throttle in backwards. the screen also blinks when the throttle is plugged in correctly. thinking maybe it was the throttle I pluged it my spare chinese full grip twist throttle and nothing changed. I have since reset all settings to the factory setting to see if that changed any thing and it did not. I then changed them back. I also unplugged all wires but the CA wire in the controller and the throttle on the ca. That made no difference either.
I am considering a sinewave controler form ebikes.ca when they release the next set on june 29.
I am also having a separate issue with the Ca only seeing the 2nd and 3rd positions on the three position switch off of the aux port on the CA. if I use the 1st position the screen blinks blank as it does with the throttle connected correctly.

Help! I am stumped. could it be because of the prelim6 firmware? should I update to prelim9? or do I have two bad lyen controlers?

Right now you have so much untested, unconfigured, and interacting stuff hooked up that it's impossible to diagnose anything.

• Unplug the CA and auto-cruise gadget.
  • Get the bike working and riding with only a controller, a simple throttle, and no three speed switch or other stuff.
  • When that works reliably, follow the Guide carefully and hook up JUST the CA as it says - no three speed switch, no funky throttle gadget.
  • Get that working according to the basic installation instructions w/o any advanced features, switches, etc.
  • Then add on the next feature - get that working....
  • When you finally add a feature that doesn't work you will have some notion of a functional tested baseline and a limited set of mods that induced the failure.
It is impossible for the CA to make your motors run backwards, so there is something wonky with the controller or your phase combos.

teklektik said:
Right now you have so much untested, unconfigured, and interacting stuff hooked up that it's impossible to diagnose anything.

• Unplug the CA and auto-cruise gadget.
  • Get the bike working and riding with only a controller, a simple throttle, and no three speed switch or other stuff.
  • When that works reliably, follow the Guide carefully and hook up JUST the CA as it says - no three speed switch, no funky throttle gadget.
  • Get that working according to the basic installation instructions w/o any advanced features, switches, etc.
  • Then add on the next feature - get that working....
  • When you finally add a feature that doesn't work you will have some notion of a functional tested baseline and a limited set of mods that induced the failure.
It is impossible for the CA to make your motors run backwards, so there is something wonky with the controller or your phase combos.

I realize the backwards thing is not the ca. As stated after that part of the post, I changed the phase and Hall combos and got it to go forwards. And it was working with just the controller before I added the CA. it was working with all the gagets attached to the controler. that was with a CA 2.3 attached though. I had a HPC lightning that I burnt out the windings on climbing steap hills, thus the purchase of the striker /w temp sensor. I purchased the CA v3 to utilize the temp sensor. I initialy set it up with the CA v2.3 with no temp sensor and all worked well. Things went wonky with the ca v3. It sat for a few months and I lost my notes for the hall phase combos. Thus the spining backwards was part of the testing for the right combo. I just had not expected it to spin at that time. The physical throttle was not applied. also as stated the throttle was working untill the wires got yanked by the pedals. and that was with the, as you say, the auto-cruise gadget, and the funky throttle gadjet. I was reading here on ES that prelim6 had some weird issues with wot throttle and the associate throttle capcitor in the CA. Was wondering if it had anything to do with that. the reason I mentioned the other stuff is because of the sparks with the ebike tester, thinking some thing might of got damaged in the process. I also stated that I unplugged every thing but the throttle and the ca and got the same results with both controllers. I did not mention that I connected the throttle directly to the controler with the ca attached and still got no response. that was with the tested good throttle. I also did say I connected two different throttles, one tested and working, and got no change.

I think there are multiple issues going on here, but exactly what and which Item I am not sure of. I think the 3 position swicth issue is a sparate issue all together. The guide fourm post mentions issues with some 3 position switches being 10 volts and the CA v3 is a 5volt input. I don't know which lyen provides with his controllers and don't have a easily accessable volt meter. I thought maybe some one out in ES land might know which switch Lyen sells. I was just going to buy a switch from ebikes.ca to see if that fixed it, but it would be nice to use the one I already have.
I think there is a wiring or settings issue with the CA but I am unable to issolate the problem and as I said may have something to do with the firmware as well.
There may also be something wrong with both controllers. I will do as you say and start from scratch with just the motor, controller, and throttle directly connected to the Controller. I will let you know the results in a few days.

I only skimmed this. You sound like me though. If you only want the ca3 for monitoring you gotta disconnect the green ca wire from the controller while everything else is running to the controller.
Getting the ca3 to work beyond that should be possible- but I can't offer more as I haven't tried it yet based on the risk,time,effort,difficulty vs potential reward.

nutspecial said:
I only skimmed this. You sound like me though. If you only want the ca3 for monitoring you gotta disconnect the green ca wire from the controller while everything else is running to the controller.
Getting the ca3 to work beyond that should be possible- but I can't offer more as I haven't tried it yet based on the risk,time,effort,difficulty vs potential reward.

No not what I am trying to do. I am try to trouble shoot why changing to a the CA3 messed it up. the part about connecting directly to the controler was in response to the previous post. I am trying to get the CA not only to monitor and control motor temp, but also control the controler perameters like the throttle settings and over all power output to make it street legal and also a good off road bike. but thank you.

In response to eklektik. I just pulled apart the controller that is the v2 Lyen. attached are picts.

It looks like it blew the yellow phase mosfets again. This controller was already sent back to lyen once with the exact same mosfets blown. The first time was I think due to the epic hill climb that also burnt out the HPC lightning motor. This time I don't know, except the massive spark that happened when testing. strange though that it keeps blowing the same mosfets. Anyone have a possible guess as to why the same ones are going bad?

The CA v3 Lyen controller is still attached to the bike and i still need to retest that.

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

20150620_183301.jpg

nutspecial said:
Ok, gotcha. I had the same issue and just went the 'pass-by' route as mentioned. I got frustrated with making it jive and made a helluva mess in the shop with 6kw wot :D , so that's the route I took for now.
Good luck!

"6kw wot" LOL! at least mine was on a stand and did not go any where.

GL to you too.

Maybe I will just go with the bac 5000 sinewave controler from ebike.ca.

mjayt said:
Maybe I will just go with the bac 5000 sinewave controler from ebike.ca.
I still think there is an issue with the CA v3 itself though, but still testing.

Here are the pics of the v3 lyen controler and there is nothing visualy wrong with it.

20150620_204038.jpg

20150620_204103.jpg

Back