How hard is the Cycle Analyst to figure out?

rogerc

1 W
I am getting a complet kit including battery, controller etc. from Celllman at EM3 and getting it all plug and play.
Have ordered the Cycle Analyst 3.0 as part of the kit.
I was reading on different sites about how to use the CA 3.0 and was over whelmed by a lot of it.
Stunts, lots of menus, electrical lingo etc. :shock: :|
In reality how hard is this to set up with the whole kit for someone on their first build?
Any resources and information greatly appreciated.

RC

Not very hard. There are a lot of blanks to fill in to get it working right, but if you don't know the answer, ask here. Someone is likely to know, or know where to get it.

There will also be a lot of questions you can skip, since it can be programmed for various types of throttles and pedal assist.

The three main pieces of information you need to put in accurately are the tire size, no. magnets, and the shunt resistance value in the controller. Get the lsta two values from the vendor (or for the no. of magnets, post your motor here and someone will know) but as far as the tire size, you can just mark a spot on the ground and your tire, roll the bike until the spot on the tire goes 360 deg., and then measure the distance along the ground. The manual gives a fairly accurate estimate based on the nominal size (like 26 inches, 700c, etc.) and tire size but measuring as above will make it a little more accurate calculating watt-hours/mile 9or km), mph, etc.

Other than that, you can use it as it comes out of the box until you get a chance to read the manual well. It is a cool gadget. I have three! It can do several other things like current limiting, etc. but those can wait.

rogerc said:
I am getting a complet kit ... from Celllman at EM3 and getting it all plug and play.
Have ordered the Cycle Analyst 3.0 as part of the kit.
I was reading on different sites about how to use the CA 3.0 and was over whelmed by a lot of it.
Stunts, lots of menus, electrical lingo etc. :shock: :|

In reality how hard is this to set up with the whole kit for someone on their first build?
The short form:
I would say that because you bought it from EM3EV, this should be simple to get working in basic form, but will require some added effort to exploit more advanced features.

The long form:
As you point out, the kits from EM3EV are plug and play. This should address the hardware installation aspects of the V3 installation including modification of the CA for the LM35 temp sensor if you are buying a MAC (not sure about temp sensors on the DD motor).

I have not ordered a V3 from Paul, but from discussions with him a month or so ago, he indicated that his V3s were being shipped to customers with basic V3 Setup configuration already in place. I believe this will take care of shunt, throttle, and other basic configuration tasks so that your V3 will be operational out-of-box in a basic V3 'normal' operating mode.

The V3 has many features, some of which interact in non-obvious ways. Although it is easy to use once set up, the setup procedure itself can take some patience.

• I recommend that before you make any changes to your V3, that you:
    1. Download the most recent Setup Parameters Document from this page and print it.
    2. Download the Unofficial Guide
    3. Read sections 1 and 2 of the Guide (through page 9) to familiarize yourself with the unit, screens, and basic console button operation
    4. Enter Setup and traverse each section, recording the settings that Paul provided on the printed forms. This will allow you to restore the unit to 'out-of-box' condition if you make configuration changes with undesirable effects.
    5. Save this completed Setup Parameter form for future use. Certain settings from the Calibration section were done at the factory or by EM3EV and are specific to your unit. Recording these settings ensures that you unit can be restored to operational condition without difficulty.
To be truthful, even for basic operation the v3 requires more effort to configure than the older V2 model described by pdf in a post above. However, EM3EV will have done this for you, and the Guide details the steps in any case.

Your post seems to indicate that electrical/technical stuff is not a strength - this should not pose a large problem should you wish to modify the basic configuration or enable some of the V3 advanced options. The Guide may prove helpful, but if it does not, a post to the CA V3 Beta thread or a new thread with your questions will get some assist.

• In any case, there are no settings that you can make to the V3 that can damage your bike or the unit itself, so a little fiddling to tune things up is always 'safe' - don't be afraid to have at it. And of course, with your recorded Parameter Setup form, you can always restore things if configuration experiments get you to a Bad Place.
So - this is not as easy as plugging in a toaster, or even as configuring a V2, but with a little attention to detail, it should be quite manageable with or without added forum assistance.

Other Stuff for the first time builder:
  • Here is a handy little guide from ebikes.ca for the newbie builder that may help you with some basics and terminology.
  • If you did not order one, you will need a USB programming cable for the V3 - you can get this from EM3EV, ebikes.ca, or direct from other sources as described in the Guide. The present software is Beta and the cable will allow you to upgrade to newer software and functionality as it becomes available. When doing an upgrade, you should once again record your Setup Parameters on a fresh set of forms to preserve not only the most contemporary configuration but also historical information such as total mileage. You can then restore this information after the new firmware is installed.
  • At some point, something will stop working. Getting an ebike tester will help you figure out what's up. These are best ordered with your kit from EM3EV to save postage, but can be had on eBay or from Lyen. I't best to get this advance and outfit it with extended leads and connectors to match your build. Plugging it in while your bike is healthy to see how things should look is Good. This thing may not make a lot of sense to you at first, but it will be helpful to diagnose problems if you write in to the forum. Here's a link to a little manual for the unit - EM3EV now provides one as well.
  • And of course, pick up a digital multimeter - even a cheapie one will do.

Wow do I feel better now.
Great post.
I think Cellman has been away at the bike shows and not responded to my emails so this helps in the mean time.
Hope to have the complete kit in my hands in about 14 days.
I know I will have a lot of questions but I don't mind asking dumb questions.
Really excited about the build and for me the Fall weather is great for MTB riding in Northern California.
Thanks to everyone this info really helped and some of it I have already started.
Been reading the manuals and getting an idea of what all the screens are about and which are important.
RC

You know, the CA can be set up without a programming cable and without a digital multimeter (handy tool, don't get me wrong). You will just need to know your tire size and a few other basic parameters including maximum speed, maximum amps, miles or KM. These are easily programmed in. There are only two buttons on the front (I think mine is the same type, a V3) and they just take a little getting used to. Lots of advanced stuff can be taken care of later, or never. There is an "advanced" menu that you probably don't need to know anything about.

The CA gives so much useful information - it is a gas gauge, a mileage meter, tracks how many times your battery has been charged thus battery life, tracks amps you are using, tracks your trip time, efficiency, I don't know how you do serious E-Bike riding without one.

llile said:
You know, the CA can be set up without a programming cable and without a digital multimeter (handy tool, don't get me wrong). You will just need to know your tire size and a few other basic parameters including maximum speed, maximum amps, miles or KM. These are easily programmed in. There are only two buttons on the front (I think mine is the same type, a V3) and they just take a little getting used to. Lots of advanced stuff can be taken care of later, or never. There is an "advanced" menu that you probably don't need to know anything about.
As with member pdf above, you are describing the V2 version - the V3 replaces the simple V2 two menu 'Main' and 'Advanced' setup scheme with thirteen configuration menus. The V2 and V3 are completely different units - even down to the changes in the CA-DP controller interface (the throttle connection differs).

It is not difficult to install and configure a V3, but certain parts are not obvious and there is a bit more to it than you suggest. It is misleading to present the setup as essentially a simple plug and play operation as was the case with the V2 (although recent changes to controllers shipped by ebikes.ca, EM3EV, and Lyen are thankfully making the controller CA-DP hook-up plug and play...)

Also - the V3 is still in Beta - an appropriate USB programming cable will absolutely be required to upgrade to the final 3.0 production firmware. It makes sense to order this with the V3 to save separate shipping which will otherwise almost double the cable cost.

It's like a lot of things- don't overthink it before getting it, you'll find that with it in your hands you quickly get used to the basics. Once you've got the hang of that then go a bit deeper, you'll soon get the hang of it. It's just like lots of things- driving a car, starting a new job... Just get started then add more to your knowledge as you go when you're ready.
After a few weeks you'll wonder what the worry was about.

My 2.3 has a 12v plug on it which you can run 12v appliances from, i,e a front light. Plug n play.

Back