How much of the time are ebikes run at full throttle?

I run full throttle 99% of the time because I'm an asshole :p
I love doing 45 kph and blowing by spandex wearing, tofu farting fairies on their high end twigs of carbon fiber.
But that's just me because I'm evil :twisted:
The bike paths here are regulated by the NCC which is federal laws and you can only go 20 kph on them.
There hasn't been a NCC cop that can catch me yet because you can't drive cars down the bikepath; too many barriers :p

My throttle usage depends on my desired range. I ride a 5304 w/11.5Ah, 48V A123 pack. My CA is set for 30A which will get me about 27MPh without peddling. Even though my BMS limits at 40A, my CA records spikes over 50A.

Commuting 20miles _to_ work is mostly downhill, I use full throttle for the first two miles on a windy, road with short sight lines, no shoulder, and a high speed limit. The remaining 18miles full throttle is only for occasional interactions with traffic. Mostly I cruise at around 10A (half throttle) at about 20-23MPH which allows me to get to work in an hour while getting some exercise and staying off the LVC during accelerations.

Returning home, I average about 18MPH and to keep some reserve for the shoulder-less road and short, very steep hill near home. Having the battery cut out on this hill is no fun. Traffic is doing about 45MPH and there is no shoulder. The hill is blind to oncoming traffic, so passing cars won't give you much room. I take the middle of the road, achieve max speed while peddling hard before the hill. Then there's only 5-10 seconds or so of traveling at 15MPH while on the hill. I learned NOT to increase the throttle while on this hill with a low battery as the current will spike and trip my BMS' LVC.

For my short 5 mile trips where I don't have to worry about battery capacity, my throttle is used as an on/off switch and I average 25MPH (with hills).

Eric S.

Mark_A_W said:
My throttle could be a switch.

If I'm not stopped, it's at 100%.

Well Mark, Ypedal & broloch, have I found a deal for you. ON/OFF throttles.

Perfect. :lol:

I suspect this largely depends on the power output. A lower power system is more likely to be ridden in an on-off style than a higher power system.

I only just got my bike going, but at about 250W I'm already considering an on-off switch in place of the throttle :D

Yeah, a doorbell button would handle 5v no problem.

Gives me an idea, mabye you could wire it to have both normal throttle, and on off. You could use the normal throttle to start off, or ride slower, but on the long hauls, just press the doorbell button down.

Correct me if I'm wrong, 5v is full throttle, and the hall sensor in the throttle cuts that down to go slower?

No, 5v is not full throttle for hall based inputs. If you put 5v in to the hall, at full throttle it is dropped down to about 4.15-4.35v So this is what your controller is going to look for as full throttle. Very much over that, and it will not work.

s_t said:
I suspect this largely depends on the power output. A lower power system is more likely to be ridden in an on-off style than a higher power system.

I only just got my bike going, but at about 250W I'm already considering an on-off switch in place of the throttle :D

If you plan on going that route, and I have considered a two or three position switch myself, then you need to have it so the controller is fed around 1V when the throttle on/off switch is in the "off" position. If a controller which employs a hall throttle does not see typical low state throttle input it will not respond to the switch when it it turned "on". I was thinking about a simple two resistor voltage divider which would set the low state then the switch would parallel in another resistor to achieve the desired throttle voltage. That would be easy enough for 100% throttle but I was thinking I'd have at least one intermediate setting, say 70%. I kinda abandoned the idea since I have a controller with cruise control on my main bike now so I can lock in any throttle setting I wish.

-R

Back