Hub axle doesn't spin smooth

rg12

100 kW
Hey Dudes,

Some of you may remember the thread that I opened about the hub motor that I have ordered open (rotor in one box and cases in the other),
anyway, the bearings were wrong size and the cases didn't go on the axle yada yada...so today I bought the right size and I closed the motor tight with all the screws and everything is sitting nice and tight.

Weird problem:
I grab the motor axle with a pair of pliers and the motor itself with the other hand and when I spin the axle I sometimes get a smooth turn and sometimes it feels like it kind of locks into a state when it still turns but now it turns like in "stages" and not smooth, like I feel the magnets making it hard to turn and it turns like "ta ta ta ta ta" like a few degrees each "ta" and then when I keep playing with the motor axle spinning it left and right then it goes back to smooth again.
* It doesn't sound like something is touching/grinding inside, it just changes to this tougher to turn mode.
* Haven't connected it to a controller/to a wheel, I just closed the covers and tested the spin.

It doesn't sound normal, everything is sitting perfectly tight, what could it be?

EDIT: Read some, called cogging, but what's weird is that it does that cogging thing and then after playing with the axle left and right it suddenly goes smooth again. It's the inconsistency that makes me worry.

Roy

SOLVED!!
I thought something was off by a micro millimeter or something making the thing not aligned.
Well, I found an old post here on ES and it seems that when the phase wires touch (while not connected to any power even!) they make the motor cog like crazy which is used apparently for regen braking and such and when they don't then it spins freely.

Thanks anyway guys.

Roy

Back