I Bought a Talaria Sting R MX4...

So after years of watching people on these Sur-ron style bikes and the like I finally decided to get one. I ended up ordering a Talaria Sting R MX4 since they have a gearbox and are faster(52mph) than most similar bikes factory stock (other than the new E-RidePRO SS)

Luna Cycle is having a spring sale and offers the bike for $4200 with free shipping right now so it seemed like the time to pull the trigger. The bike came shipped from CA to MA in only 8 days, Fedex calls and schedules the delivery for the day after the call delaying from 7 to 8 days. Here is a video of the unboxing and assembly

After the Unboxing I immediately realized what I had always known deep down but could never prove via the internet, is that these bikes are really small and a full sized tall adult (6'3") on the bike looks quite goofy and feels odd at first. I then immediately started down the money pit hole thinking of ways to make the bike larger or fit me better after just spending $4500 total with taxes

The bike is solid feeling and rides nice and is fairly smooth in throttle response, me coming from a background of riding and building electric vehicles for over a decade I find the bike to be pretty under powered and wanting more at times. You can see me spiraling more out of control into the money pit as i now think of upgrading major components that cost a fortune...

Here is a video of my first ride on the bike

I also expected the range to be a little better than it is in real life, but isn't that always the case? Just normal riding in sport mode and you seem to average 5 miles per 20% of battery and then towards the lower half of the pack its a bit worse. Although I must say this bike has more range than any of the bikes I built myself. I think it is a 9p 21700 pack

Since I have more range I actually found new dirt biking trails that are pretty close to my house that I never knew about before and ended up riding around getting lost and finding a few folks riding quads and other gas bikes. This would never have happened if I didn't purchase this Talaria

The first day in the ride video i rode the bike from 100% to 94% and it started to rain so i quit the ride, the next day i rode it from 94% to 50% in the trails pretty hard and had a great time. This bike is very capable off road and gave me the dead arm feeling of riding a gas bike thru rough trails feeling like a workout! My Kuberg Freerider put out much more power than this stock Talaria but the Talaria handles 100% better offroad and is much lower to the ground giving you a more planted feel to get frisky on the throttle thru rough terrain

During the first ride I experienced a odd grinding noise in the front end that would only happen occasionally, it was driving me nuts since the bike is brand new... Eventually when I was in the dirt bike trails I got fed up with it and pulled over to inspect what was happening. Come to find out the front hydraulic brake hose was rubbing against the front tire and almost punctured. I caught it just in time and moved the mounting bracket which seemed to solve the problem.

Then the day after the first ride video I decided to push the battery pack to its limits and go out riding at 50% battery without charging the bike the night prior...I went to the North Grosvenordale CT reservoir which is about 7 miles from home. I immediately started getting range anxiety as I watched the battery go from 50% to 30% on the ride there. The second I got to my destination I stopped for a few pictures and then decided I cannot ride around and have fun I must turn back in fear of killing the battery. On the ride home the bike dropped to 15% fairly quickly and I started to slow down my speed to help it last longer. I still had a fairly long hill to climb and a few more miles to get home so i decided to put the bike in ECO mode which drastically reduces the speed and power of the bike from 50mph to 27mph. The last few miles felt pretty slow and tamed which they were, but I did make it home with a few percentages left in the pack. I then put the bike on charge and realized I did all of this riding on only my first discharge of the pack

Last edited:
One thing I noticed was that the Talaria seat is wwwaaayyyyyy better and wider and more comfortable than a stock Kuberg Freerider seat, but it was still pretty stiff and uncomfortable after only a few miles of riding for a larger rider like myself. It just seems like it is lacking on inner foam padding.

And furthermore the stock Talaria handlebars are way too low for me since I am so tall, which makes it very odd feeling when you try to stand and ride the bike

So my first two bike upgrades are none other than the Luna cycle 2.5" riser handlebars and the Gator seat which has another 1" of foam cushion over the stock seat and is slightly softer
luna_handlebar_07__91059.jpg

LUNA_CROC_SUR-RON_SEAT_01__92909__13890.jpg

These upgrades were the cheapest with the most bang for your buck so I had to get them out of the way! Both items were $106.91 with shipping and taxes included if you are keeping a running total ( i am)

I have not put these on the bike just yet since every day I get home from work I am either working on my daughters LR small block Db17 bike or we are riding since its finally decent weather now, but I should be getting to them possibly this weekend!

Skeet !
C'mon Man you're Six foot three and you read the dimensions before you bought it right?
Will you be proud or will you be self conscious and "odd" riding that tomorrow? Don't
Just haul down the road a little further than Grovesnordale to Rockville and buy a Stark Varg today
OH bring the Talaria because there will be some kid there ready to buy it and you'll recover.

Last edited:
Skeet !
C'mon Man you're Six foot three and you read the dimensions before you bought it right?
Will you be proud or will you be self conscious and "odd" riding that tomorrow? Don't
Just haul down the road a little further than Grovesnordale to Rockville and buy a Stark Varg today
OH bring the Talaria because there will be some kid there ready to buy it and you'll recover.
Haha thanks for the reply but I cannot ride that thing on the streets around town. The second I get into the riding trails I do wish that is what I purchased! The Talaria is fun but not nearly as much fun as the Stark Varg would be!

My daughter is super jealous of my bike and now she wants one...they cost so much $$ now I need to buy another :oop:

Just give her yours and buy a Sur Ron Ultra Bee!
It certainly fits her better! :ROFLMAO:

Thats actually a really good idea...they are only $6000 right now I thought they were more money!

Last edited:
And an Ultra Bee will fit you better. With even more possibilities to upgrade...
I have a feeling the power to weight ratio will be even worse, top speed is almost the same so it has slightly more torque

its 12kw but weighs 60lbs more and still has the same tiny 19" wheels of the Talaria

so at a minimum I would need $1000 wheel set and a $1000 controller also making total price $8500 out of the box(6500 cost)

Back