Iaccoca EVG SX as a donor bike

timctx

1 mW
Listed on craigslist with a blown controller and no battery. Seems to be in pretty good shape.

I just got a couple of hub motors from Cell_Man. Got the MAC 10T and a MXUS DD to compare. Did not realize that they did not come with freewheel so waiting on an Amazon order to get going.

The EVG has battery storage and beefy frame. Shocks look solid.

Any feedback on using it with the MAC with 12S Lipo for 50V? Was going to use my old steel stumpjumper with a triangle bag but worried that batteries will go missing when I park it around town. The EVG has locking compartment for battery and controller.

Thanks.

timctx said:
Listed on craigslist with a blown controller and no battery. Seems to be in pretty good shape.......snip

Here is a thread for you. :D

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14417

nice solid frames. mine is very stable at speed.

here is another link if you haven't found it already

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37480&start=15

dc

They have an excellent frame, but the only flaw is you may have to cut some plastic to put a bigger front chainring on it. Decent fork, very good lateral stiffness on the frame. Long as you are ok with hardtail, it's pretty ideal. Won't quite fit a 48v 15 ah ping in the battery area, but it will carry a 12s lipo pack beautifully.

If you have the remover, there will be a freewheel on the Heinzmann motor. There is a lady with an active thread that might want your old heinzmann, if the part she has broken is not broke on yours.

ya, good points Dogman. the largest chainring you can put up front without cutting the battery cover is a 42 tooth. that is with the stock chain guard removed. the smallest I have used on the back is a 12 tooth (7 speed cluster). from the looks of it an 11 tooth would probably rub against the chainstay but I have never tried one so I am not sure.

DC

Thanks all. Seller says the motor is good but the controller fried. I plan to go lipo and probably use the DD since it does not seem like a pedal bike. Will save the 10t for a stealth build with a little frog case and my Lyen mini monster with 12s 5ah commuter.

EVG does not return results in search, think the string is too short.

At one point, a bare heinzmann motor from an EVG sold for $200. Mabye less now. If it runs when you hook volts to the two big wires, it's good.

Got it up and running with the MXUS DD and it rides great. Would put it slightly ahead of the Stromer in responsiveness and comfort. Probably has a lot to do with the 12S Lipos.

The heinzmann seems to be running fine if somebody wants it for a few bucks plush shipping. In Austin, TX if there is any local interest.

Just have a basic cell_man controller for the MXUS which is set for 22AMPS. No complaints so far.

Investment so far:

Donor Bike (36V EVG SX): $140
MXUS DD from Cell_man: $255 with shipping
12S 10Amp Hobbyking Lipo: $200 with shipping
Lipo charger from Amazon: $50

So for ~$650 I have a fun and comfortable ebike that I know how to maintain and repair.

Upgrades planned:

Programmable Controller - already have this but waiting on a Anderson crimper since the stock Lyen connectors bug me.

Rear Disk brakes

I'm really jealous (actually happy for you guys) of the people finding great deals on these EVG bikes as donors. I've been keeping an eye out (apparently not well enough) ever since Snellemin reported his stability at speed with the Magic Pie.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

Heya Timctx. I PM-ed you back about the motor. It seems like the message sat in my "outbox" for days tho. did it ever go through?

DC

It will sit in the outbox till he opens it.

Hey, check your new messages. Top of the page on the right. :)

Back