• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Identify this secret controller

Solderbro

1 mW
Hello,

found out that my E-Bike controller is not capable to drive head and back light with 3 watts, some kind of over current protection cut the power after 2 seconds. But the quest for a data sheet is a problem, if the controller is something secret with no brand name on it.

controller.jpg

The bike is a Misterride fatty with 36V wide hub. Like to find an information how much power i can draw from the light wire.

Solderbro

Easy solution would be for you to wire a relay into the circuit. Use the wire you were trying to use to power your lights to energize the relay, where much heavier power could be switched on and off - easily enough to supply whatever you need to power your lights

Some controllers have a 6V output for the lights.
So, besides the relay you would need a step down converter to create that 6V from your battery voltage.

Might not be the standard case for that controller. I get the suggestion that it's from Brainpower, which looks different but you have to remember these Chinese controllers mostly have no name anymore, you just sort of sort through it.

https://www.banggood.com/24V36V48V60V-250W350W-LCD-Brushless-Motor-Controller-Battery-Speed-For-MTB-E-Bike-Scooter-p-1399444.html

From the label design Lishui is possible too, there is nothing else on the tiny box.

Solved the light problem with a Sparkfun MosFET Power Control Kit. Took a gate resistor divider with 20k to 10k so the transistor in the controller has a really low job. Found a 36V output at the display connector, hmm why is there only 36V and not the idle voltage from the battery?

36volts.jpg

The tiny power control kit took place in the metal box, within shrinking tube. So the 36V juice power the DC-DC buck down to 6V and i can switch the light from my button at the handle bar. So a Hermanns H-Black Pro E can be used with a wired back light, what feels better when driving 25km/h in the dark. :D

Solderbro

The way most displays work: They get the battery voltage from the controller and pass it trough on another wire to inform the controller to turn on.
Some displays receive 12V from the controllers, others 5V.

Normally the wire that turns the controller on isn't suposed to deliver high current. 3W on 6V is 500mA.
On 36V, it's only 83mA.
This could still be to much for the switching transistor (or mosfet) in the display.

Did you measure the voltage? Is it really 36V or just marked as such on some schematics / cabling diagram.

Solderbro said:
Found a 36V output at the display connector, hmm why is there only 36V and not the idle voltage from the battery?
Can you provide more information about the display, or possibly a picture. That could provide more clues on the controller.

Yes here is a picture, the display have a round connector and is often sold with a XLD controller at alibaba. Sometimes there is a M5 Logo on the upper corner and a builder brand for the bike on the lower. This is a monochrome not detachable no touch display type.

Solderbro

Back