Inside look at new 50h QSmotor V4 8000W 13" hub motor

I did my best to sharpen their poorly imaged V4 vs. V3 "data" (such as it is) -- perhaps someone can piggyback on top of this to make sense of it.

V4 vs V3 comparison.2.1280.jpg

V4 vs V3 comparison.1.1280.jpg

M

P.S. like most Chinese documentation, it is not clear what they mean be "2nd generation" vs. "3rd generation". Is this perhaps comparing V2 vs. V3? Or is it really V4 vs. V3 and they just made a typo? Who the heck knows?

Borrowed a phone..

Seems like test report is for 40H stator motor in gen2 vs gen3. Not the right one, thought we are looking at 50H stator motor?

55x3turn winding to 75x3 turn?

Test current 520A phase 330A RMS (24kW)

Big change in laminations?
266X40HX36 three generations —> 0.20mm laminations 36slot?
198X50H X36 second generation —> 0.25mm laminations 36 slot?

Edit: probably not correct data..

No way they have 0.15mm laminations at the prices they're asking. Or even 0.2.
One would think that their motors efficiency would at least approach that of the leafmotor with it's 90.5% peak.

If they have paper thin lams, then they're doing something really, really wrong if the motor can only hit 88% peak efficiency. Should be peaking at 93% or so..

I would even question whether these motors have actually been dynod. Plots could be from theory only.

It says "magnetic powder dyno" in the translation. I've seen these on aliexpress for not so much money, don't think they could take more than a really short run.

You're right on the translations, it doesn't make any sense. Wrong motor, possibly wrong generation, 40H and 50H mixed in the text. I'd guess the dynos are correct for some motor :D numbers don't seem like fiction.

I’ll edit my post above.

2old said:
Thanks for the information. Any chance of seeing the "bike" you've built with this motor?

I had been holding off until it was all complete, but given that the bike is partially apart right now, I guess showing what it looked like 30 days ago will give you an idea:

IMG_8089 (1).1200.jpg

IMG_8077.1280.jpg

Between then and now, I've done quite a few "tweaks" to the bike, particularly up front:

IMG_8177.jpg

IMG_8287 (1).jpg

Michael

neptronix said:

That's why I asked if anyone wanted some specific and/or closeup photos while I had the motor apart. Alas, back on the bike now.

M

To add even more confusion, it appears that you can get the updated "V4-style housing" with a V3 innards (at least in the 17" version). And you can order some of their motors in either 50h and 70h (the latter only with 230mm dropouts). Wish they would simplify their nomenclature. Guess that is too much to ask of engineers...

M

MJSfoto1956 said:
neptronix said:

That's why I asked if anyone wanted some specific and/or closeup photos while I had the motor apart. Alas, back on the bike now.

Wouldn't have thought to asked. At least we got to see it's guts. :)

Beautiful ride ya got there, btw.

We never had any charts or Dyno info in the early days.

We bought what we could, hooked it up to the most power we could muster, and rode them till they smoked.

Along the way we learned a ton about spinning out drops, twisting axles, cooking halls, picking mosfets, and developing relationships with vendors in China.

... If anyone is unhappy with the charts available, the DIY spirit is to buy the damn thing and show us your home built dyno :bigthumb:

... I for one was happy just to see some internals pics. When you are coming in from the cold, the fussy little details are of less interest than the fact that we can actually get these sorts of hub motors now.

Thanks for taking the time to post pics and take measurements.

-methods

Back