Is an ebike for commuting and exercise reasonable?

TheMongoose

1 µW
I love cycling. I pedal 25 miles after work most days for exercise and fun. I'd like to use my bike for commuting but there are two problems, the time it would take to pedal there and arriving all sweaty. All the news about ebikes has be wondering if that could be a solution to my problem? The ebike would speed things up and get me to work sooner while decreasing effort so I don't sweat as much. Maybe as a bonus I could pedal with the motor running to get some exercise to? Is anyone else in this situation?

My commute is 18 miles each way. I average 28-31mph driving it in my car.

It's completely reasonable.... and you can def pedal along with the motor as much as you like... or just to stay warm on a chilly morning. It gets pretty cold letting the motor do all the work!

How fast can a rider go and still be able to put effort into pedaling? Looking at gearing charts it looks like when the bike gets near 30mph, it's hard to find gears that allow someone to pedal at that speed.

http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_speed

It's doable with a big enough front chainwheel, but most normal bikes are getting squirrelly enough at 30+ that pedaling takes a back seat to looking out for obstacles and bumps.

TheMongoose said:
My commute is 18 miles each way. I average 28-31mph driving it in my car.

I am (or was) in the same boat. 18.2 miles. Took a little over an hour as opposed to two+ without a motor helping. I was still sweaty though, maybe because I have some hills 1300 ft up 1600 ft down.

Unfortunately an idiot motorcycler took out my back wheel a couple of days ago so my steed is down until the idiots insurance pays. Somehow I stayed standing and the motorcycler ended up worse off.

Anyway, your chart shows gearing that will help up to 33mph so there you go :) is your commute flat? What kind of bike/riding?

My commute is flat. Potholes and traffic are the main challenges. I currently ride a regular road bike with drop bars, and mountain bikes. If I get an ebike it will be a new bike.

It sounds like 500-750W motors are good up to 30mph?

The top potential speed will depend on the motor choice, voltage, gearing and tire size.

Then the top actual speed depends on how much power the system can deliver to push against
wheel/air resistance.

A mid-drive motor will go through the bike gears and give you a wider range of speeds. In my experience
the BBS02 750W drive is barely powerful enough to hit 30 mph. So if 30mph is truly important and you want a
mid-drive, go wth BBSHD. The BBS02/HD systems are great to pedal along with. I love mine.

A hub motor (geared or DD) will be inside the rear wheel and have essentially one gear. That means
you will probably want a more powerful system so you have a big powerband. Also more power is possible.
A quick DD bike will take more than 750W, I'd look for 1000W or even 1500W + a higher voltage
battery. A big plus of this motor style is that you get quicker acceleration and don't have to change gear.

I'm not sure how potholes affect the motor decision actually. I don't worry about them with a full suspension
bike with central motor. But with a heavy motor in the rear wheel you might need to plan on extra strong wheel
build or something.

The best bet for pedaling at higher speeds would be a bike specially built for that. What you need is the ability to put a 52 tooth front crank on the bike. Look for that frame clearance first and foremost. Ideally, you get your big ring without having to sacrifice a larger tire. Skinny race tires and a punishing commute don't mix well. You need a bike you can put a 2" tire on. Forget weight, if the bike that works is steel, fine.

To my surprise, I was able to fit a 52 tooth chain ring on a Schwinn beach cruiser. Stock 52t from a vintage Schwinn varsity bolts right on to a 2015 Schwinn. then I added disc brakes and derailleur. But for most, the answer may be a commuter, or hybrid bike with 700c rims. For a commute, fenders are nice.

Then, by using a front hub, or a mid drive, you can retain a rear wheel with a good cassette with 10 or 11 teeth in the back. Instead of a crappy 11t screw on freewheel, or the standard 14 t screw on freewheel on most rear hubs.

That combo should get you into the pedaling with effort at 30 mph ballpark. This is one of the reasons I did 90% of the 15 miles one way commute for 5 years with front hub. By the time I went to rear hubs on my commuter, I was riding a much larger, much heavier longtail cargo bike, and was typically running more like 20 mph all the time. I decided to enjoy the ride, rather than spend the whole time getting a right turn in my face because people can't figure out I was going 30 mph. Additionally, riding 20 mph meant I could carry less battery weight. 30 mph is great when the battery is new and perky, 3 years later, slowing down to just make it home was needed.

You can definitely get plenty of exercise with an electric bike. Your commute length is ideal for it. But it's a different kind of workout than normal bike riding. No more need to sprint, or sweat. But believe me when I say that even very mild exercise for two hours a day will make a huge difference in your heart lungs, and still tones the legs nicely. I found the e bike ride on weekdays greatly improved my ability to ride without a motor on the weekend. It also helped me ride other things better too, know what I mean, nudge nudge wink wink.

You can also fall into the trap of faux pedaling. It's very easy to faux pedal at such a high cadence you think you are pedaling. Still exercise, but it don't extend your range. The trick is to learn to feel a certain pressure on your feet. If you don't feel it, back down on the throttle just a hair. Then you can put out an easy 100w to 150w into the ride, extending your range slightly. It takes some miles to really get the hang of this, and make it so automatic you don't even think about it. But eventually it becomes as natural as regular riding is.

Here is a picture of my Schwinn with the 52 front ring. I still only have 14t in the back, but with 2000w fed the big rear motor, it can cruise all day at 33 mph, I can pedal it to about 25 mph.

A schwinn cruiser longtail, 7-2015.jpg

You can pedal over 40 mph with a 52 / 12 setup if you keep up a decent cadence. My setup will cruise at that speed. It's not scary but you do need to take note of the handling and practice turns, braking, swerves and object avoidance at speed, otherwise you might have an avoidable incident.

flat tire said:
You can pedal over 40 mph with a 52 / 12 setup if you keep up a decent cadence. My setup will cruise at that speed. It's not scary but you do need to take note of the handling and practice turns, braking, swerves and object avoidance at speed, otherwise you might have an avoidable incident.

Over 30mph it must handle more like a motorcycle than a bike where countersteering is more noticeable. I sometimes commute to work on my motorcycle but it's frustrating when I spend a lot of time slowly crawling through traffic. That's when I wish I had an ebike and could cruise past them all.

You are a perfect candidate for an ebike that commutes on streets. You can use a hand-throttle on the way to work, charge up at work (if you want) and then pedal as much as you like going home (for exercise).

Your distance each way is just right, so that you can use a smaller, lighter, and less expensive battery pack. However, it is not so far that a battery big enough to make a round trip would bee too big to fit on a bike, or unobtainable. You have many readily available options that will work.

TheMongoose said:
Over 30mph it must handle more like a motorcycle than a bike

Well, no, it handles like a bike, but they both handle the same really. Motorcycles just generally weigh more than your body so your weight has less of an influence and they usually have a lot more stability. Also, going more than a couple miles an hour you're going to be countersteering your bicycle whether you're aware of it or not.

Maybe listen to these folks?
[youtube]Ts8g0r76Krk[/youtube]

Back