Is there more I could be doing to avoid flats?

Sure, it's relatively harder to patch a Slimed tube. But it's never been a problem for me. You might have a problem with the peel-n-stick patches, or if using an undersized tube, like a 2" in a 2.5" tire. But the glue patches and a proper sized tube have never been a problem for me.

Let all the air out. Even without Slime, it's harder to patch a tube with any pressure, but with Slime, it's going to be a mess to try. Getting slime off the tube if it's wet is important. I carry a couple paper towels folded up in my tool kit, but if you're desperate on the side of the road and have nothing else, use your sock. Sanding/scuffing the tube, a necessary step in proper patch placement, cleans most residual contaminants off the surface and gives a good surface for the glue to adhere to.

If you need to patch a Slimed tube on the road, there is a very good chance that the hole is way to big to be patched anyway. it never hurts to try, especially if the alternative is walking home. Carry large sized patches, and don't run the tires up to full pressure after the patch until you can test the pressure someplace where you won't be stranded.

When I used the Slime, every time I would check air pressure with a gauge a little slime would find its way into the gauge, wrecked 2 like that.
I don't use slime any more. Just carry a patch kit and pump instead, its really not that bad patching a tire. Most of the time that is.

The first flat I got a week after my first eBike, no tools on me, had a piece of wire that was poking out of the back tire.
I noticed it as it hit the fender every tire rotation. Stopped and pulled it out..."psssssssssss" as the air escaped.
I might have made it to the house if I had left it in...Doh! Walked home lifting that heavy DD MP3 so it didn't wreck the rim.

There are foam inner tubes. I never have tried them. Just a thought.
This is just the first place that came up on a search.
http://www.bikehighway.com/tubes/thorn-resistant-tubes/stopaflat-puncture-proof-bicycle-inner-tube.html

Back before cell phones or no wifemommy to get you, the Mt. bike crowd came up with the idea of using something handy from the environment, such as tall grass or something, and stuffing it in the tire...just to 'limp' home. Never had to try that one.

I bet those really strong magnets from old hard drives would pick up a thing or two! My front fender is nearly to the ground for my recumbent, so would make a great spot to test this out. Not sure how this would work on an mountain bike though. Plus they are heavy things.
Colin

There was a post about a tube that could be installed in an emergency without removing the wheel since it was an "open" design with the ends capped off. Meant to purchase, but didn't and can't locate post or product (was on Amazon). Seemed like an excellent emergency solution.

BMXers call them cobra tubes.

drl --- Thanks, ordered --- I'll test on a spare wheel before committing to my tool bag and be happy if it gets me home. Seems like it'll be necessary to cut out the old tube.

Alan; thanks for the idea about carrying a spare; I meant the tube in the flat tire needs to be sliced in order to remove it and replace with the "interrupted" tube.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus. No question. I'm now up to 4000 miles on MPs without a puncture.

I had a 3" nail go into one. Only 1" was showing, so 2" was inside the tyre. It didn't puncture the tube. See the pictures:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/do-puncture-resistant-tires-work.20489/

Tire flats are a very weird thing. I can suffer 3 in one week and then nothing for 3 years. This sort of randomness tends to skewer whether or not certain techniques and/or brands of tires really have anything to do with preventing flats.

I ride daily on very treacherous and poorly maintained NYC road surfaces and wear out 2 rear tires per year. 3-5k miles per year, minimum. Approaching 10 years of this usage pattern.

I’ve used most of the major brand tires spoken about in this and other tire threads - I keep it rugged (stuff labelled urban assault tires) but cheap like CST Cyclops if it will fit.

I use a thick tube. Slime optional but in some situations it has slowed puncture leaks enough to reach home so I give it a few ounces when installing a new rear tire. Also, tends to visually indicate when there’s a leak.

I never use thick tubes or Slime for my non-motor front wheels. Front’s rarely suffer punctures and there’s really no practical benefit to the treatment my rear motor wheel receives. I like to keep non-motor front wheel lightweight.

Learn to fix flats like a pro and be prepared. Good luck...

nutspecial said:
Agreed.

And hmmm, the foam filled tire does seem to be a 'thing' :!: at least for slow movers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p7U27r_kGg
I was just going to post that one.. that one is hilarious! Definately what the pros use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p7U27r_kGg

So dreaming is all well and good, but when I saw a cheap powerful magnet at Harbor Freight I figured I'd do some experimenting.

nailProtector.jpg
As expected, the details prove tricky. I figured I needed to use a somewhat flexible attachment, so that running over bumps and such wouldn't causing bending and destruction somewhere. The galvanized wires worked pretty well in oversimplified scenarios on level ground at low speeds -- it sucked up any nails or screws no matter how I tried to run over them with my rear wheel. It was a thrilling feeling, but unfortunately the magnet tended to swing around too much in any sort of real riding situation, smacking into the back wheel, etc. I may try again with something to at least prevent rear wheel impact, and perhaps to curtail side-to-side motion. As long as it's able to compress upward, that may be sufficient to handle on-road conditions at least.

Probably will never be practical, but it's great fun to play with.

band clamp around downtube just in front of BB

secures top of piece of tubing thru a wire or other "hinge" point that allows tube to swing forward or back but never side to side. set t ension on hinge point so it won't swing around unless it hits a bump oon the road, but can still siwng back forward to be close to raod surface under it's won weight.

alternately use spring in front and a stop point to hold it in place at road surface unless it hits a bump

tub emounts to magnet similarly, so it can't spin around and stays perpendicular ot bike.

setup length of tube vs distance to rear tire so it can't hit t ire with debris attaached to magnet even if tube is at highest swing rearward.

Ykick said:
Nothing's gonna prevent a puncture like that. Hell, Slime wouldn't even slow it down since it went all the way through to the inner circumference of the tube. Slime can only work on holes in the outside circumference.

Basically, if I'm going into the boonies or some place where I can't get back with public transportation or hitch a pickup truck ride, I carry my tire repair tools including a small 12V air compressor. Some flats can also be repaired without completely removing the wheel from the bike.

Practice makes perfect and practicing at home will prepare yourself for what you need to have with you.

you can take apart a 12v compressor and throw away the case....Saves a lot of space!!!
I bought a little bag(For Gameboy,cell phone or similar) at a flea market and stuffed the compressor and odd tire repair bits in it .

nunzio said:
Ykick said:
Nothing's gonna prevent a puncture like that. Hell, Slime wouldn't even slow it down since it went all the way through to the inner circumference of the tube. Slime can only work on holes in the outside circumference.

Basically, if I'm going into the boonies or some place where I can't get back with public transportation or hitch a pickup truck ride, I carry my tire repair tools including a small 12V air compressor. Some flats can also be repaired without completely removing the wheel from the bike.

Practice makes perfect and practicing at home will prepare yourself for what you need to have with you.

you can take apart a 12v compressor and throw away the case....Saves a lot of space!!!
I bought a little bag(For Gameboy,cell phone or similar) at a flea market and stuffed the compressor and odd tire repair bits in it .

Right on! 12V compressors come in many shapes and sizes but most do trim down if needed. They also run pretty fast and generate considerably more air on 4S Lipo, haha....

I use the hell out of it in my apt setting too. Haven't owned a hand pump in years.

nunzio said:

Oooh, cleeever. After Ykick mentioned his little 12v compressor, my interest was definitely piqued (I've already spent more effort manually pumping up bike tires on the side of the rode than I'd prefer). I saw one at Harbor Freight for $7 and snagged it. It's not quite as small/rectangular as some of them I later saw at WalMart/on Amazon -- but this case-chucking business might even the score! I will have to see.

I am glad you are taking this at least as seriously as I am, amberwolf 8) (and I really do intend to tinker with this some more)

amberwolf said:
band clamp around downtube just in front of BB
secures top of piece of tubing thru a wire or other "hinge" point that allows tube to swing forward or back but never side to side. set t ension on hinge point so it won't swing around unless it hits a bump oon the road, but can still siwng back forward to be close to raod surface under it's won weight.
What sort of tubing are you thinking of? Just trying to fully picture what you're suggesting.

alternately use spring in front and a stop point to hold it in place at road surface unless it hits a bump
Hmm yes, a properly heavy-duty spring might actually work pretty well.

setup length of tube vs distance to rear tire so it can't hit t ire with debris attaached to magnet even if tube is at highest swing rearward.
Yes, that's probably wiser -- I'd mounted it closer to the rear wheel than that in this initial test, because I wanted it to be as guaranteed as possible to snag any metallic debris that the rear wheel was going to encounter. But realistically at very high speed at all, a few inches aren't going to matter. (it was also a convenient attachment point, but I can work around that)

danielrlee said:
Not used them myself, but they're called gaadi tubes.
Chalo said:
BMXers call them cobra tubes.

Anyone happen to know a source for these things for 26 inch tires that isn't insanely expensive (~$60)?
Looks like FlyBikes doesn't make their Cobra tube any more (the only one I've seen reference to) and no one has any remaining in stock, and the Gaadi tubes are quite pricey.

I really like the idea of having one of these and combining it with the suggested tie-the-ruptured-tube-to-the-frame for quick and painless recovery in nearly any situation. Seems like it would get me home great, and then I could more comfortably/permanently fix things there.

Maybe you could make your own from 29er tubes. Cut them, clean out the powder, and glue the last couple or three inches of each end shut.

Back