Is this a problem on my aluminum frame?

I used to get a lot of batteries on that would have been trashed, especially Pedego ones, usually for BMS problems, but the cells were still fine.

In that final picture, at the bottom there's one Pedego 36v 15ah in the aluminum case, then another one above it, out of the case but still in the yellow FRP, in series for 72v 15ah.

Then in the middle is another pair of the Pedegos, but unfolded straight from the way they are in the cases, for another 72v 15ah.

Then at the very top is two Bosch batteries out of their cases, at 72v 10ah.

They all connect thru a parallel harness, so 72v (84v right off the charger) and 40ah. You could run any combo of the three, to go light but short range, or roll heavy for long distance.

It was a pretty great pile of free cells 👍

Yeah i like the idea. I'm just concerned as to how well the batteries are strapped down. I like the concept, I would just make make mine more theft proof,

I'm definitely drilling a ton of holes into my next steel frame

That's a clever concept, a battery above and below the midtube and maybe one I could do one in the back

99t4 said:
MarkJohnston said:
I'm just worried because I carry 50lbs of batteries (2x) and a bunch of tools (because I've broken down so many times :cry: ) that that is too much weight to install on an aluminum MTB frame not meant for touring.
Your worry is justified. 50lb. x 2 is getting into cargo bike territory. They are specifically built for carrying the loads you are carrying. The load capacity is built in, not tacked on here and there like bandaids. From frame material to gussets to brakes tires rims heavy duty racks and connections all purposely chosen for safe weight carrying ability.

Not specifically recommending Surly Big Dummy, but as an example:
https://surlybikes.com/bikes/big_dummy

50 lbs total 99. Not. 50 lbs x2. For a while I was able to get it down to 32lbs but I'm back up to 50lbs again. :shock:

MarkJohnston said:
I'm definitely drilling a ton of holes into my next steel frame

Awesome, in this way you may learn why you don't see very many frames like that in use.

Does drilling weaken it? I want the battery compartment bolted down good. I kind of just want one 48 volt battery with 60 amps. I don't want to run a bunch of batteries serial/parallel. Tired of that

Will the 9 c clone need big holes drilled into with 3k watts?

Cargo bikes look too silly for my tastes. I do like the passenger option though.

MarkJohnston said:
Does drilling weaken it?
Duh.

Unless you can accurately guess where the stress concentrations are on your frame (which you can't), drilling into it is likely to be in one of those high stress areas. Poking holes will make your frame crack quickly.

I want the battery compartment bolted down good. I kind of just want one 48 volt battery with 60 amps. I don't want to run a bunch of batteries serial/parallel. Tired of that

I have some 8.5Ah packs in my room that can dump 150A until empty. You don't need a huge pack to do it; you only have to branch out and not limit yourself to flashlight and vape pen cells.

Will the 9 c clone need big holes drilled into with 3k watts?

Insufficient data. Smart bet is even if so, you shouldn't do it unguided.

Cargo bikes look too silly for my tastes.

You're proposing turning a cruiser frame into Hellraiser, but you think a cargo bike looks silly? Maybe you've been looking at the wrong cargo bikes. Mine make regular bikes look like little girls.

Chalo said:
Cargo bikes look too silly for my tastes.

You're proposing turning a cruiser frame into Hellraiser, but you think a cargo bike looks silly? Maybe you've been looking at the wrong cargo bikes. Mine make regular bikes look like little girls.

crazybike2 with a test sunshade
file.php

file.php

this is that cargo on the trailer
file.php

or a piano, hauled by the sb cruiser trike, then various versions of it,
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

That looks like the Taxis in Thailand except high tech lol. Just can't see police out here allowing that.

Also has that a saint Bernard? I like those dogs.

Yeah actually on second thought the Cargo bike look isn't bad, I've had a ton of girls off the street ask me for rides, wish I had that :twisted:

Back