Issues with sabvoton controller and bafang g062

Snacks

1 W
Hi

Have a bafang g062 laced to my rear wheel and using a sabvoton 45A sine wave controller . It’s actually risunmotor controller but it was sold to me as a sabvoton. supposedly it works just like them and uses their software too.

Got them connected, reset to factory settings, ran the hall sensor test , calibrated the throttle and then started to configure the rest of the settings.

Issues I’ve come across so far

1. There’s a super high pitched whine from the controller when it’s on.

2. system status shows flux weakening as enabled even if it’s disabled.

3. I can’t change rated phase current. It’s stuck at 60. If I change it and restart the software it goes back to 60.

4. Same issue for mid throttle current - it’s always stuck at 0.1 no matter how many times I change it

5. If I give it too much throttle to quick , the motor stutters .

Everything else can be changed and seems to be working as it should. I should add it’s still a 48V system at the moment with a domino throttle . I currently have no display or way to check amperage, voltage or wattage being used other than with a multimeter.

I’m slowly researching these and trying to fix them one by one but it’s been a bit harder than I had originally thought. If anyone can help or has any info on these issues it would be greatly appreciated!

Well, if it's a different brand of controller than the software being used for it, it could well have a different firmware version that isn't completely compatible with the software you're using, so some settings in the controller may not change the way you see them changing on your screen in the software.

If you can reach the seller / manufacturer of the controller, you might be able to get the version of software intended for that specific version of controller (version of firmware/hardware). They may not understand the problem, or care, but it's worth a shot.

If this isnt' the issue, it could just be buggy software; that's very common, and may not be a solution to that (the code is not generally available to anyone, and so is unlikely to ever get fixed).

Note that in some software, if there are multiple tabs for different sections of settings, you may have to "save" or "send" each tab separately. Not an obvious design intent, but it's been reported for some controller setup softwares. :/

Regarding the whine: If it has an SMPS type low-voltage regulator, it may just be poorly designed and make a lot of audible noise. (older stuff almost always used linear regulators which are silent (but inefficient), but a lot of newer stuff uses switching regulators (sometimes noisy, but more efficient)).

Or it could be the controller generating a "sound" in the phase wires to detect phase/rotor position for better current control. The SFOC5 I tested a few years back was VERY noisy, and could in some cases be heard even over the wind noise of riding even when coasting and not applying any throttle. A generic one I have now makes an irritating whine but thankfully I can only hear it when it's quiet around me and I'm stopped, not usually while riding (especially in traffic).

amberwolf said:
Well, if it's a different brand of controller than the software being used for it, it could well have a different firmware version that isn't completely compatible with the software you're using, so some settings in the controller may not change the way you see them changing on your screen in the software.

If you can reach the seller / manufacturer of the controller, you might be able to get the version of software intended for that specific version of controller (version of firmware/hardware). They may not understand the problem, or care, but it's worth a shot.

If this isnt' the issue, it could just be buggy software; that's very common, and may not be a solution to that (the code is not generally available to anyone, and so is unlikely to ever get fixed).

Note that in some software, if there are multiple tabs for different sections of settings, you may have to "save" or "send" each tab separately. Not an obvious design intent, but it's been reported for some controller setup softwares. :/

Regarding the whine: If it has an SMPS type low-voltage regulator, it may just be poorly designed and make a lot of audible noise. (older stuff almost always used linear regulators which are silent (but inefficient), but a lot of newer stuff uses switching regulators (sometimes noisy, but more efficient)).

Or it could be the controller generating a "sound" in the phase wires to detect phase/rotor position for better current control. The SFOC5 I tested a few years back was VERY noisy, and could in some cases be heard even over the wind noise of riding even when coasting and not applying any throttle. A generic one I have now makes an irritating whine but thankfully I can only hear it when it's quiet around me and I'm stopped, not usually while riding (especially in traffic).

Yea that makes a lot of sense . So I tried out a few different versions of the software floating out on the net until I finally received the software from the seller and gave that a shot. All of them behaved the same way. Can’t change rated phase current or throttle mid current. It just resets back to 60A and .01A respectively. Also has flux weakening showing as enabled even though it’s disabled.

I tried every combination of saving the parameters after clicking “ok” for each tab or each parameter and restarting the system to try and get these values to change and they never did.

I think you’re right about the whine . I can only hear when it’s very quiet and I’m stopped.

Snacks said:
...using a sabvoton 45A sine wave controller . It’s actually risunmotor controller but it was sold to me as a sabvoton. supposedly it works just like them and uses their software too.

RisunMotor doesn't make anything, they're a reseller. I bought a KT controller from them, and a Sabvoton that I returned. Is this the unit?
https://www.facebook.com/Linda.ebike95/videos/ebike-45a-1500w-sabvoton-sine-wave-controller/406669640744209/

E-HP said:
Snacks said:
...using a sabvoton 45A sine wave controller . It’s actually risunmotor controller but it was sold to me as a sabvoton. supposedly it works just like them and uses their software too.

RisunMotor doesn't make anything, they're a reseller. I bought a KT controller from them, and a Sabvoton that I returned. Is this the unit?
https://www.facebook.com/Linda.ebike95/videos/ebike-45a-1500w-sabvoton-sine-wave-controller/406669640744209/
Yea that looks like unit. being a risunmotor branded sabvoton makes me feel better about it.

Snacks said:
Yea that looks like unit. being a risunmotor branded sabvoton makes me feel better about it.

Are you using this app to program it?
http://www.mqcon.com/static/upload/file/20210717/1626513852511459.pdf

I seem to recall the first step is selecting the controller from a drop down, so I think that dictates the range of values available for the various settings.

I have not used any of those controllers or their software, but based on my various experiences with setup software that covers multiple versions of a device, or multiple devices, it may also be possible for the software to display fields that don't apply to a particular device, and even allow changes to the field...while the device simply ignores that information so doesn't appear to change behavior no matter what you do for that setting. Frustrating, because in these cases it doesn't usually indicate to you in any way that this is what is happening.

As an example, I have a Worlde Panda Mini control unit for some of my music studio stuff; there are at least two versions--one has RGB LEDs in the large pads, and one only has red LEDs in it. But the software doesn't distinguish which unit it's talking to, reading from, or writing to, and shows the same setup screen, including pad LED color, for both.

So if you don't have the RGB version, you can setup the color all you want in the program but when it uploads to the control unit, the unit will still just have red-lit pads. I haven't found anything on the unit itself, compared to any information available from Worlde, that tells you which version of it you're holding in your hands, so the only way I see to tell is to just try to set the pad LED colors.... :/

(it doesnt' matter for my purposes, especially since the pads are dark until touched, when the colored lights would only really be useful if they were always lit (perhaps brightening when touched) so you could use the colors to remember which pad does which function while playing say, drums, etc).

E-HP said:
Snacks said:

Are you using this app to program it?
http://www.mqcon.com/static/upload/file/20210717/1626513852511459.pdf

I seem to recall the first step is selecting the controller from a drop down, so I think that dictates the range of values available for the various settings.

No I don’t have the Bluetooth version. I’m using the PC software .

I actually found some unlock app bundled with alternative versions of the software and tried them, although it didn’t let me unlock it , it did however let me change the throttle mid current which fixed the stutter as well.

Still can’t change rated phase current nor turn of flux weakening .

amberwolf said:
I have not used any of those controllers or their software, but based on my various experiences with setup software that covers multiple versions of a device, or multiple devices, it may also be possible for the software to display fields that don't apply to a particular device, and even allow changes to the field...while the device simply ignores that information so doesn't appear to change behavior no matter what you do for that setting. Frustrating, because in these cases it doesn't usually indicate to you in any way that this is what is happening.

As an example, I have a Worlde Panda Mini control unit for some of my music studio stuff; there are at least two versions--one has RGB LEDs in the large pads, and one only has red LEDs in it. But the software doesn't distinguish which unit it's talking to, reading from, or writing to, and shows the same setup screen, including pad LED color, for both.

So if you don't have the RGB version, you can setup the color all you want in the program but when it uploads to the control unit, the unit will still just have red-lit pads. I haven't found anything on the unit itself, compared to any information available from Worlde, that tells you which version of it you're holding in your hands, so the only way I see to tell is to just try to set the pad LED colors.... :/

(it doesnt' matter for my purposes, especially since the pads are dark until touched, when the colored lights would only really be useful if they were always lit (perhaps brightening when touched) so you could use the colors to remember which pad does which function while playing say, drums, etc).

I do understand what you’re saying but in this case I’m fairly certain that these are fields I should be able to change and that do have an effect on the controller. I have confirmation from the seller on this as well. They’re attempting to help me troubleshoot as well , however , I only get 1 message every 24hrs from them.so it might take a while to get any resolution.

Back