Bafang G062 Rear Hub Motor, 3000w 80a Controller, 60v 40aph Battery, VM (or VL) 960 Display. Are they compatible?

Just like the title says, I have a Bafang G062 48v 1000w Rear Hub Motor, a 72v 3000w 80a Controller, a 60v 40aph battery, and a VM (or VL, one of the 2) 960 Display, and it is not working on my RadMini4. Pretty sure I have all the wiring done correctly. The display turns on, the numbers to decide your PAS responds correctly, but then when I twist my throttle, the bike doesn't do anything. Just sits there. The throttle is getting juice, cause I have a digital voltage reader as part of it, and it says it is. Are they compatible? And if so, why isn't my bike working?

Also, what does the small white wire do that comes from the G062 motor? I don't have it connected...
Attached to this is a picture of my controller...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220804-151243_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220804-151243_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    689.8 KB · Views: 614
AccidentalMayhem89 said:
Just like the title says, I have a Bafang G062 48v 1000w Rear Hub Motor, a 72v 3000w 80a Controller, a 60v 40aph battery, and a VM (or VL, one of the 2) 960 Display, and it is not working on my RadMini4. Pretty sure I have all the wiring done correctly. The display turns on, the numbers to decide your PAS responds correctly, but then when I twist my throttle, the bike doesn't do anything. Just sits there. The throttle is getting juice, cause I have a digital voltage reader as part of it, and it says it is. Are they compatible? And if so, why isn't my bike working?

Did the bike work correctly with it's original battery/controller/display, and is this the motor that came on it, just changing out the battery/controller/display?

If it did not, what specifically did it do or not do correctly?

If it did, then the motor should be working, once the controller/display is setup for the system, assuming it is wired correctly.

If it's a 72v controller, is it setup to use a 72v battery, or a 60v battery? Is the 60v battery fully charged? (what voltage do you read with a multimeter or voltmeter on it's output, while it is connected to the controller and the system is turned on?) If the battery voltage is below the LVC the controller is set to (if it has a setting), the controller will power on but not operate the motor, to protect the battery from overdischarge.

Has the controller/display been setup in it's menus for the system you have, and the way you want to use it? (for instance, if the controller LVC or HVC is set outside the range your battery is actually at, it may not operate because it thinks the battery is overcharged or undercharged and is trying to prevent damage. Similarly, if it isn't setup to use a throttle only, but is instead waiting for PAS input, then if you aren't pedalling it may not respond. I don't know your specific display or controller, so I dont' know what menu options you have, or what they should be set to--you would need to refer to the manual for the system to find this out).

Has the motor been "setup" in the controller for the correct phase/hall combination? (assuming it is not running sensorless) This is usually done these days with a self-learn function, often with a wire pair you connect and then disconnect; the exact procedure varies from controller to controller, so the manual would tell you exactly how to do it. If it doesn't have this function or it doesn't work, you can do this manually by swapping the phase and hall wire order between controller and motor until the motor spins the right direction with minimum current at no load (offground) but full throttle and no unusual noises.

Does the motor make any sound at all, offground or on? If it is a geared hubmotor and sounds like it is running inside the case but the wheel doesn't spin, it's just spinning backwards inside the case, and you would use either the reverse function of the controller if it has one, or the self-learn, if it has one, or manually change the phase/hall wire order until it works correctly as noted above.

Also, what does the small white wire do that comes from the G062 motor?

If it's a geared hubmotor like the other Rad bikes I've worked on, it's almost certainly a wheel speed sensor. Most of them have six magnets, so six poles if you have to set that on the speedometer you connect it to (like a controller with a display that has a speedo reading).

If it's a DD hubmotor, it would be more likely to be a thermal sensor, but I havent' worked on any Rads with that function.

But in your case, you might want a thermal sensor, because the controller you have is easily capable of destroying the motor you're using it with by overheating it under load, if the conditions you ride under demand the power the controller can put out.

Yes, bike worked with original setup. No, this is not the original motor. Same brand, just 1000w instead of 750w.

I don't know what the controller is set for, 72v or 60v battery. As far as I know, its only got one setting because there are no buttons to press on the controller. Or, would that be setup with the display? The 60v battery is fully charged. Reads 62.6v with everything on.

No, the controller/display has not been set up. I dont know how to do that...?

No, the motor has not been setup in the controller. I will do that.

No, no sound is made from the motor, on or off ground.

For the white cord coming from the motor, the be reason is d ok t have it plugged in is because I don't see a matching cord to plug into it from the controller. Is the white cord required to be plugged in for the bike to operate? I ask because tbere are lots of wires coming from the controller that I have no need for, such as Window Lock function (haha)and Im curious if this cord is like that...

A lot of 72V controllers will have a LVC between 60V-63V. Your controller doesn't give a range, but just states 72V on the label. If yours battery voltage is lower than the LVC, that would explain why it's not responsive.

On compatibility, you probably would need to control your throttle hand, and not ride full throttle, especially if you ride on any hills. 80A at 72V through a geared hub could likely cause it to overheat. If you check out the Grin simulator, you will find that there aren't any geared hubs that can handle full throttle with a small 5% grade, at 72V without overheating, many within minutes, or seconds. A lot will overheat even on flat ground.

https://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html?motor=MG60_750&batt=cust_72_0.05_24&cont=cust_80_200_0.03_V&hp=0&axis=mph&frame=mountain&autothrot=false&throt=100&grade=5&cont_b=cust_80_200_0.03_V&motor_b=MMAC12T&batt_b=cust_72_0.05_24&hp_b=0&bopen=true&grade_b=5

AccidentalMayhem89 said:
Yes, bike worked with original setup. No, this is not the original motor. Same brand, just 1000w instead of 750w.
Ok, then that means we don't know that any of the components are functional, so we don't have any working reference points. You may have more than one problem preventing the system from working.

If the new and old motors have the same connector, you could try using the old motor on the new controller, just to test it, and if it doesn't work either, try the new motor on the old controller/display/etc system (which doesn't have to be moutned on the bike--only the motor must be mounted so it doesn't spin out the axle wiring and damage things)

But I'd check out the controller LVC vs battery voltage issue first.

I don't know what the controller is set for, 72v or 60v battery. As far as I know, its only got one setting because there are no buttons to press on the controller. Or, would that be setup with the display?
Some controllers have solder pads / jumpers inside on the PCB for setting what battery voltage they work at. Some use the display to tell them. Some automatically adjust the setting at power on or battery connection each time, but this is problematic when a battery is at a "borderline" voltage, where it could be a mostly-empty higher voltage battery, or a mostly-full lower voltage battery....

Some have no setting at all, and just are whatever they are, which if not stated in the specs on the page you bought it from, would have to be determined experimentally by finding the battery voltage at which it does work, then lower the voltage until it doesn't. (but you can't do that until the system works, first).

The 60v battery is fully charged. Reads 62.6v with everything on.
62.6v isn't full for a 60v battery. A 60v battery would average about 59.2v when half full; if it's Li-Ion (vs LiFePO4) then it is a 16s battery, and if it's full it would be 4.2v / cell x 16 = 67.2v. Empty it would be about 48v or so, to a 60v controller, and about 45v or so to the BMS in the battery itself.

If the charger the battery came with only goes up to 62.6v (often marked on the charger, and sometimes full and empty voltages are marked on the battery too), then the battery is not a 60v 16s Li-Ion, unless the charger has a problem, is set wrong, etc.

If the charger goes up to 67-68v when not connected to the battery, then the battery isn't fully charged yet. If it is brand new, that's a bad sign because it is already badly unbalanced, which means there are some cell groups in it that have significantly different capacity than others, which is why the charger stopped where it did--the BMS would stop charging to prevent overcharge of the low-capacity groups. If the BMS has balancers, it would correct the voltage difference and allow the pack to charge to full voltage, but it cannot fix the capacity difference between groups, and those lowest capacity groups will limit the whole pack to that lower capacity, vs what the pack is supposed to be. And it will only get worse over time.

A 72v battery would be 20s (84v full), and it's conceivable that a 72v controller could have an LVC as high as 62-63v--if it does, then the controller won't respond because it thinks the battery is empty.

No, the controller/display has not been set up. I dont know how to do that...?
No, the motor has not been setup in the controller. I will do that.
You'd need to check the manual for the controller / display kit for how to use them together and set them up for your particular system and usage.

If you don't have a hardcopy manual, you would need to check with the seller to get an electronic copy of it. If they don't have one, you would need to check with the manufacturer of the controller / display. If *they* don't have one, you can try google/etc for a manual based on the names/numbers on the display/controlller labels, but I wouldn't expect to find one in that case. YOu can also check this forum to see if anyone else has ever posted settings / manual for this display and controller. If there isn't any manual at all, you would simply have to "guess" at what various settings are, and make certain you write down every setting in every screen on the display setup before you change any setting at all. If you don't, then you can't change them back to what they were "from the factory", as a base reference, when things don't work or go wrong.

No, no sound is made from the motor, on or off ground.
Then the controller is not even attempting to spin the motor, which leans more toward a connection problem between motor and controller, or controller and throttle/etc, or the controller-LVC problem (battery not high enough voltage).

For the white cord coming from the motor, the be reason is d ok t have it plugged in is because I don't see a matching cord to plug into it from the controller. Is the white cord required to be plugged in for the bike to operate? I ask because tbere are lots of wires coming from the controller that I have no need for, such as Window Lock function (haha)and Im curious if this cord is like that...
"Window lock" is another one of those really bad translations. Sometimes this is "door lock" instead, but it is none of those. Depending on the controller, it might be a security feature that when turned on (grounded, usually) it attempts to prevent the motor wheel from being turned, so someone can't ride away with your bike very easily. Or it might be an "ignition" wire, that must be connected to battery voltage in order for the controller to turn on at all. I've seen both of those functions marked as "door lock" or similar before.

If you want to know the speed the bike is going, and it is a geared hubmotor, then yes you need to connect that wire to the controller/display's speed sensor input wire.

If it does not have such an input, and only works to read the motor hall sensors for speed (in which case you have to enter the motor's number of magnetic poles, times the gear ratio of the internal motor gearing), and will only read speed while the motor is pushing the bike, becuase you only see motor speed, not actual wheel speed. If the display has no way to setup these things, then it can't correctly display the speed even from the motor halls.

If the white wire from the motor is a speed sensor, then when the motor is connected to the controller, even without the white wire connected to anything, and the controller is turned on, you should be able to see pulses of voltage on a voltmeter/multimeter that is connected red lead to white wire, black lead to hall ground or battery negative (same reference voltage), and set to 20VDC, when you manually rotate the wheel slowly in either forward or reverse.

If you see no pulses, it may be a thermal sensor instead. That may output either a voltage that changes with temperature, or more typically be a resistance that starts around 10kohms at "room temperature" or around 72F, and goes up as temperature drops or goes down as temps rise, when measured with the multimeter on 20kohm range and leads in same place as previous test.

Holy hell man. I had no idea it was this complicating to do this upgrade to my ebike. If I did, probably wouldn't have ever started this. Either way, thank you very much Amberwolf and E-HP for all the advice. I'm gonna use it, follow it to the Teeth, and hopefully my next post will read, "Finally! Back on the road" I'll let ya know. Thanx again.

PS:- Let's say, I try all that and it still isn't functioning?...Should I buy a 72v motor, should I downgrade the controller and battery back to a 52v??

What would you do??

AccidentalMayhem89 said:
PS:- Let's say, I try all that and it still isn't functioning?...Should I buy a 72v motor, should I downgrade the controller and battery back to a 52v??

What would you do??

If you already have a 60V battery, then the easiest/cheapest thing would be to get a controller with the right voltage range, instead of one for a single voltage that's too high.

example only: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004251016013.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.298e38da0AS8V7&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

I would also consider getting one with a lower current rating so you don't damage your motor, which should be easier to find, since the choices get slim when you want 80A.

Also, a lot of controller will list the LVC on the label, so you could look for one with it set appropriate for a 16S pack.

I just charged my battery to full charge (the charger at least said the battery was fully charged) and my 60v battery is only putting out 63.1 volts. I was told it should be putting out 67.2. I spoke to an ebike repair store, and the team member told me that it could be the charger that is the issue or it could be the battery. Is that correct to the best of your knowledge and what's the best way for me to go about fixing it?

AccidentalMayhem89 said:
I just charged my battery to full charge (the charger at least said the battery was fully charged) and my 60v battery is only putting out 63.1 volts. I was told it should be putting out 67.2. I spoke to an ebike repair store, and the team member told me that it could be the charger that is the issue or it could be the battery. Is that correct to the best of your knowledge and what's the best way for me to go about fixing it?

Yes, it could be either. It may even not be a defective part, but a wrong one--either the wrong battery, or the wrong charger for it, or both.

Do you have a voltmeter, or multimeter that can read Volts DC? If not, they're cheap, less than $10 will get one sufficient for this type of work (I just posted some random links to a few of these for another member in another thread yesterday if you look thru my posts). They're not truly accurate but you don't need that, just knowing what voltage things are relative to each other is enough to find the problem in most cases.

With a meter set to 200VDC, put the black meter lead on the charger's negative output pin, and the red lead on it's positive pin. Plug the charger into the wall, and note the voltage the charger goes to. If the charger is working correctly, it will either go to it's correct output of about 67v (either momentarily and then dropping to zero, or staying at that voltage), or it will just have no voltage on the output.

If it has no voltage on the output, you'd need to keep the meter leads on the output pins, and then connect the output to the battery's charge port. This may be easy or hard depending on the connectors they have. Once connected, the charger will then turn on and go to it's highest voltage; if you then disconnect the charger from the battery (leaving the meter leads connected to the charger) it will stay on for a moment, leaving you time to read the voltmeter display.

If that then shows the correct voltage, the charger is ok. If it stays at the voltage the battery is at, then it might be the wrong charger or misadjusted or broken.

To test the battery, you'll have to open it up. Before we can safely suggest how you can open it and test it, we'll need more info about it.

If you post links to each item you bought, the info on those pages may help us help you more easily, depending on what info they provide. If they don't have that info, we may need you to take pictures of specific things that we'll figure out as they come up.

AccidentalMayhem89 said:
Holy hell man. I had no idea it was this complicating to do this upgrade to my ebike. If I did, probably wouldn't have ever started this. Either way, thank you very much Amberwolf and E-HP for all the advice. I'm gonna use it, follow it to the Teeth, and hopefully my next post will read, "Finally! Back on the road" I'll let ya know. Thanx again.

What would you do??

It depends on what the problem(s) end up being with what you already have, so we have some testing to go thru first.

As E-HP says, the simplest thing, if your battery is working correctly (at this time it does not appear to be, but testing will find that out), is to replace just the controller/display combo with a kit that is designed for the 60v (16s) battery, rather than 72v (20s), and one that is made to run the motor you have, which is intended for only "1000w". At 60v, that would mean a controller wiht a 16-17A, say 20A at most, current limit, rather than 80A.

But if there is no problem with the controller other than it not being the right LVC to match the battery, it may be possible to change it's LVC, either thru a display setting, or thru a physical jumper or solderable bridge on the board inside it, if you're willing to open it up to check. (Don't open it yet, we still need to test things first to find the problem, as it may not be the LVC).

Pretty sure my battery is partially fried. I follow the instructions and connected the black and red prongs of a voltage meter to the black and red outputs in the charger and it read 67.3. Then I connected it to the outputs from the battery and it reads 63.1, and so does my digital voltage meter on my throttle. That means one or more of the cells in the battery are already fried correct?

AccidentalMayhem89 said:
Pretty sure my battery is partially fried. I follow the instructions and connected the black and red prongs of a voltage meter to the black and red outputs in the charger and it read 67.3. Then I connected it to the outputs from the battery and it reads 63.1, and so does my digital voltage meter on my throttle. That means one or more of the cells in the battery are already fried correct?

It probably means the battery itself has a problem of some kind internally, and the most common is cells, for one of a number of reasons (detailed in various battery troubleshooting posts around the forum). You'd have to open it up to test individual cells to find the specific problem. Whether the problem is fixable (or worth fixing) depends on what specifically is wrong, and your level of DIY skills (or budget to pay for a repair if there is a place you can get to that does this), etc.

The most likely problem, not knowing anything about the battery itself, no link to sale page with info about it, etc., but based on common parts choices we see, is that it is poorly built of mismatched or poor quality cells, so it is not balanced, and the BMS is stopping charge when the worst cells (which hold the least capacity and fill up first) reach full voltage, leaving the rest of the cells less than full voltage, so the total pack voltage remains low.

If the BMS is a balancing BMS, the *voltage* problem can be fixed by leaving the charger on the battery for long enough--depending on how bad the difference between cells is, it may take hours, days, or weeks for this to finish, and let it reach the "full" voltage.

It does *not* fix the cell problem(s); those will still not be able to hold as much charge as the other cells, so the pack itself will remain less capable than it should be, and will become unbalanced during usage, and require rebalancing as this happens.

But it will make the pack voltage when "full" reach enough voltage to allow your controller to operate if the controller LVC vs the battery voltage is the problem you're having, and it doesn't require you to do anything other than leave the charger on the battery as it cycles on and off, until it stops cycling and the battery voltage is as close to the charger voltage as it is going to get.

There's a number of other possible problems, but no point into going into any of them or their solutions unless you're going to open up the pack and test / troubleshoot / repair it, which is often quite a bit of work. :)

If you have the option, getting the pack replaced under any warranty it might have is a much easier idea, or if the seller won't do that, see if the website purchased thru or your payment method has a way to replace the pack for you.

Back