Join the E-Bike World w/Bafang and Samsung?

mmarlin

100 µW
I’ve lurked for a while, finally signed up to get some advice. I do regular cycling, but recently moved to a very hilly area and have not gotten on my bike. I’m thinking E-Bike is my answer. After reading lots online and visiting two LBS’s I think I can get a better ride converting my old Trek Hybrid 7500FX. I believe I want a mid-drive motor, right now, I’m considering the Bafang 750W motor (for the hills) and the 48V Samsung Frame Mounted Battery. I like the frame attachment of this battery, can I do better than this one. Some reading has made me doubt my choice.
BTW I’m 130 lbs, some things I’ve read say the 750W is overkill, it probably is most times, but when I hit the hills, I think I need the 750W motor, am I looking at this correctly?
The description says it has both the throttle and PAS option, from a stand still does this mean I must use the throttle to start? Also, if I equip this bike with this motor will there be drag if I want to pedal with no e-power? Hard to buy this without a test drive to know these answers.
I am open to consider another brand of motor if I find I can do better for my needs.
Thanks mmarlin

hello mmarlin,

welcome to the forum!
i have no advice for you..
except that the motor kit you allude to is spelled Bafang.. not Bahang..
here is a thread about it.. :
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50104
also, you haven't mentioned how far you want/need to go???
best luck!
:idea: :?:

mmarlin said:
I’ve lurked for a while, finally signed up to get some advice. I do regular cycling, but recently moved to a very hilly area and have not gotten on my bike. I’m thinking E-Bike is my answer. After reading lots online and visiting two LBS’s I think I can get a better ride converting my old Trek Hybrid 7500FX. I believe I want a mid-drive motor, right now, I’m considering the Bahang 750W motor (for the hills) and the 48V Samsung Frame Mounted Battery. I like the frame attachment of this battery, can I do better than this one. Some reading has made me doubt my choice.
BTW I’m 130 lbs, some things I’ve read say the 750W is overkill, it probably is most times, but when I hit the hills, I think I need the 750W motor, am I looking at this correctly?
The description says it has both the throttle and PAS option, from a stand still does this mean I must use the throttle to start? Also, if I equip this bike with this motor will there be drag if I want to pedal with no e-power? Hard to buy this without a test drive to know these answers.
I am open to consider another brand of motor if I find I can do better for my needs.
Thanks mmarlin

You want the 750W version. And request that the seller program it for "unlimited Speed"

Here on ES, we don't use the word "overkill" The reality is that the additional power is there if you need it, but won't hurt, if you rarely use it. - Believe me, at some point, if you don't have it, you will want it.

With the Bafang BBS02 Mid Drive kit, you can pedal without any electricity just like you would without a motor, since it has redundant freewheels built into the motor. (There is NO resistance when it is powered off.)

Back