jonescg's NEW electric racebike BUILD thread!

OK, time to give an update on the bike.

Firstly, this thing is stupidly quick. We don't even have the motor spinning past base speed yet, and it's still giving us 0-100 speeds of about 2 seconds. I think we have the torque limits and ramp-up rates right now, but we still can't seem to make use of field weakening. What? I need an 800 V DC Bus now? :) Hopefully it's not a big deal to sort out, otherwise we'll gear it for 200 km/h and leave it for now. No shortage of torque anyway.

Pottz's first words when he took his helmet off were indeed something like "frocking hell man!! - This thing is frocking NUTS!" That was before we turned the torque settings down. The RAC circuit is pretty ordinary and the turns are covered in duck shit, so it's pretty slippery. We noticed that the motor temperature was hitting it's limit, so we bumped it up to 85'C and the de-rating starts at 80'C.

Track day at Barbagallo (Wanneroo) was great - we put a smaller rear sprocket on, giving us a top speed of 170 km/h when we hit top end. Some cooling issues meant Danny had a few trips off the circuit back to the pit lane, but we never did damage, which is awesome (unlike a certain Agni motor I know). Interestingly the cooling loop has the inverter well below it's upper limit, while the motor is hitting it's limits. They're all on the same cooling loop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeonwpEsHn0&feature=youtu.be

Some great pictures can be found here - http://flybyphotography.zenfolio.com/p363731942/h34720e9d#h34720e9d

Today Mike and I put the radiator in the fairing air inlet and put a new slightly larger one where the old one was. It's in series, but the cooling should be pretty good now. I think we still need to duct some air onto the face plates of the motors, as the bearing back plate feels pretty warm.

Of greater concern is the Ducati swingarm. I can't help but feel were putting about 80 kW more than it was designed for, and a custom swinger is definitely on the cards. In the meantime we're sourcing a 1000ss swinger, as they were a bit beefier.

All up I am very happy with how the bike is going, and as we iron out the bugs we'll wind up with a pretty quick machine, even in the turns. Sure, she ain't light, but she goes fast when you ask for it. The front end needs a complete upgrade, as the stock suspension is a bit ordinary. Some stiffer springs, re-valve, fork oil change and the like - should be apples :)

In the interim I will be welding up another crate for getting the bike over to the homelands.

Awesome Jonescg,

Don't worry about the KW rating of the Swing arm. It will be torque that its limited by. So if you can figure out first gear torque on the ducati it came from and compare it then you might see its ok... The total weight of the bike will effect it as well so I guess torque and weight.

If you are overheating that motor, you are thinking you have coolant flowing at the proper rate through it, but actually do not for some reason IMHO.

That motor will run cool as can be setup with proper cooling in a motorcycle.

That thing looks awesome!

Outstanding Jonescg ! The bike turned out great and it sounds like you guys are getting it dialed in to where you want it. Great effort bulldogging the project thru the rough patches.

I have several pc watering pumps that will give you more than enough flow rate if you wish to try then at any stage Chris... Luke, could to fast flow rate ever be an issue? fluid not staying in contact with either motor or rad iator long enough?

KiM

We're using two Bosch Pad Pumps in series. The flow rate won't ever be more than what the pump is rated for due to the 3/8 hose we're using, that's why there's two in series. Here's the problem though - the pumps are 3/4" fittings, the motor is 1/2" fittings and the inverter and radiators are all 3/8" fittings. A series loop is MUCH easier to manage than a parallel loop, or even separate loops. Ideally we'd have radiators with 1/2 fittings but that's a custom job. Most motorcycle radiators won't fit in the front of the bike without fouling the front wheel. We'll see how it goes this time.

I'm posting here to put out the feelers for people who are interested to go to see Chris's bike race at QLD Raceway 27-29 June 2014.
I plan to be there and have some friends coming along.
Anyone is welcome to send a PM if they want my contact details to meet up at the event.

Cheers
Daryl

DarylMc said:
I'm posting here to put out the feelers for people who are interested to go to see Chris's bike race at QLD Raceway 27-29 June 2014.
I plan to be there and have some friends coming along.
Anyone is welcome to send a PM if they want my contact details to meet up at the event.

Cheers
Daryl

I will be there with my camera doing the stills photography for evmotorcycle. Looking forward to meeting anyone and everyone.

jonescg said:
Of greater concern is the Ducati swingarm. I can't help but feel were putting about 80 kW more than it was designed for, and a custom swinger is definitely on the cards. In the meantime we're sourcing a 1000ss swinger, as they were a bit beefier.

You're thinking like an engineer ie "if it doesn't work, replace it"
Try thinking like a designer ie "if it doesn't work, modify it"

We've had the most stressed welds reinforced and the whole thing was heat treated, so all going to plan it will be good for the season. A custom swingarm is still on the agenda, but will take some time. We just want to be able to use 6" wheels on it :)

Pain old distilled water. Any coolant is a slipping hazard on a race track.

We might have the field weakening thing sorted now, so now we're geared for 195 without it, or 292 at full speed (which is unlikely, but hell, 250 would be good).

Hi Chris,

Your journey reminds me of this quote -

A man of knowledge chooses a path with a heart and follows it and then he looks and rejoices and laughs and then he sees and knows.
Carlos Castaneda

I hope I am there to share in some of the rejoicing and laughs. I am beginning to understand just how not small this accomplishment is. Cannot wait to see this thing all dialed in. Thanks for sharing the journey and expanding the knowing for all of us.

I understand you have some unfortunate small fitting sizes my friend. If you use reducer fittings to enable running larger diameter hoses, it will help your flow rates despite having the additional turbulence of the fitting reducers.

jonescg said:
Here's the problem though - the pumps are 3/4" fittings, the motor is 1/2" fittings and the inverter and radiators are all 3/8" fittings. A series loop is MUCH easier to manage than a parallel loop, or even separate loops. Ideally we'd have radiators with 1/2 fittings but that's a custom job.

lots of sizes
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16mm-12mm-Plastic-Reducer-Connector-Hose-Joiner-/270747539646?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f09cf98be

Hey everyone,

Just letting you know that the MCRCWA is hosting round three of the Weld West state roadracing championship at Wanneroo Raceway tomorrow. Mike and I will be there with Voltron Evo on display, and I will head out for a couple of laps during the lunch break. I have the field weakening and regen sorted now, so the bike should top out at 240 km/h with the present 17:38 gearing. While I can get the regen working around the streets of Perth, I really need a race track to test the >170 km/h performance... Unless you live in High Wycombe :lol:

Come on up from about 10 am, should be a great day of racing too.

Some video at the start of turn four would be cool. I have no way of knowing precisely how fast I'll be going, as the Cycle Analyst reed sensor seems to be struggling a bit. But the rate at which I approach turn seven should be a give away.

The welding job on the swingarm looks good - hopefully we'll be sorted for the season on this one.

swingarm weld.jpg

I have the field weakening current set to 75 amps currently, which spins the rear wheel up to full speed on the stand. I suspect it won't be full speed on the track, but I also won't get the chance to adjust settings and head back out again. One quick shot to get it close and then it's Friday practice at QR. Regen is also set to about 25 Nm, which isn't much but we really only want it to settle the rear as you approach a turn. Should be interesting!

Oh, I have been working on the crate to ship the bike over - much stronger than the last one, and hopefully more a bit more tolerant of having stuff stacked on top of it :? Might make sure there's some angle iron across it just in case.

Bike shipper crate.jpg

jonescg said:
Some video at the start of turn four would be cool. I have no way of knowing precisely how fast I'll be going, as the Cycle Analyst reed sensor seems to be struggling a bit. But the rate at which I approach turn seven should be a give away.

The welding job on the swingarm looks good - hopefully we'll be sorted for the season on this one.

I have the field weakening current set to 75 amps currently, which spins the rear wheel up to full speed on the stand. I suspect it won't be full speed on the track, but I also won't get the chance to adjust settings and head back out again. One quick shot to get it close and then it's Friday practice at QR. Regen is also set to about 25 Nm, which isn't much but we really only want it to settle the rear as you approach a turn.

View attachment 1

Always put a GPS in your pocket.'maybe you don't want to know how fast it's going yet

Back