jonescg's NEW electric racebike BUILD thread!

Awesome re Scitech!

I take my 3 year old there all the time. Now there will be yet another distraction that Dad will be occupied by as my daughter pulls at my leg asking me to move on..."Just a minute darling, daddy is learning about electric super bikes" :mrgreen:

Is it only me or do all dads have more fun than their kids at Scitech....

Round 2 is next weekend right? Where is it?

D

Yeah, the 1st to the 3rd of August - Winton Raceway, Benalla Victoria. Hope to see some south-eastern ES folks that weekend!

Scitech is awesome at any age. It's easy to forget that there's something for everyone, of any age. The appeal of science is strong in the primary years, but sort of wears off by the time you have teenagers. Then before you know it they're working for mining companies, driving V8 utes, ignoring vaccinations and claiming climate change is a leftist hoax... We can do better ;)

What voltage do you get on each of those single phase plugs ??

edit
like this for $700
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Power-board-10-Amp-3-phase-supply-with-6-x-10A-RCD-CB-protected-outlets-/121329004061?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item1c3fc5ae1d

Yep, like that one but cheaper. I was gifted the three phase plug and 4C+E cable, so all I paid was for the breakers, enclosure and the 15 A sockets. I reckon it would have been about $500 if I paid for it all myself.

Any line-to-neural will be 240 V, while line-to-line is 415 V. The versatility of having three 3kW capable plugs is pretty handy. Winton Raceway has the big 3P sockets right outside the pits, so I can just run the lead in.

Congrats Chris on the sweet build.
After seeing your bike, might have a prospective new ES member keen on builds here in Adelaide, with the sweetest CNC's, already makes custom gear for bikes.
You might want to speak to Ripperton about that 'power board adapter and play spot the differences.
Make sure those neutrals are tight on your star points, it could smoke your multiple chargers in millisecs.

Thanks Man!

Yep, I have another shft at Scitech tomorrow and then I fly out to Melbourne that night. Get in at some awful time and drive on up to Benalla. Got a bit of work to do on the bike, but mostly we're good. I tested my 3p distribution board and it all works good. Luckily it's power factor corrected :)

Cheers, and stay tuned for updates! (by others, not me. I'll be too busy)

jonescg said:
I tested my 3p distribution board and it all works good. Luckily it's power factor corrected :)

I swapped the $20 20A plug for a $32 32A 5 pin plug and got it tested & tagged it for free at the shop.
I was quoted $310 for a 32A plug !!!!!!!!!! That was just like telling me to f&^% off idiot. :x

jonescg said:
Thanks Man!

Yep, I have another shft at Scitech tomorrow and then I fly out to Melbourne that night. Get in at some awful time and drive on up to Benalla. Got a bit of work to do on the bike, but mostly we're good. I tested my 3p distribution board and it all works good. Luckily it's power factor corrected :)

Cheers, and stay tuned for updates! (by others, not me. I'll be too busy)
Will do, I'm freeing up some time to have a look at this beast.

like this for $700
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Power-board-10-Amp-3-phase-supply-with-6-x-10A-RCD-CB-protected-outlets-/121329004061?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item1c3fc5ae1d[/quote]

That's normally the kit that's seen out in the field, weatherproof IP65, can imagine what it's like trying to save $$$'s on these builds, you may wanna go cheap on ancillaries. If your not putting stressors on wiring and keeping the breakers from getting smashed and wet and dusty, fragile buggers, should be good.

Awesome weekends racing guys. Just wish the Ripperton was up to full power on Sunday for a proper good battle.
The title is running close at only 14 points difference between the 2 Danny's
Great video btw.

Hehe, thanks for the pictures and video, Dmitrii! Kyle will be stoked to see the Buckeye shirt too ;)

Here's the weekend wrap-up, as well as a link to the final race results and points standings!

http://www.computime.com.au/meetings/2014/SWANN4/SWANN14_4_R35.pdf

Friday practice was an exercise in restraint, as the track was cold and wet. We managed to get a few laps in where we could dial in a few settings, but it was just too sketchy to be out there.

Race one was a cracker with the two Danny's trading spots for the lead many times, but ultimately being blasted out of the turns and into the straights. After taking a good lead Pottz went into T1 too hot and ran off track, but kept it upright to make second place. If not for that, it probably would have been a record breaker.

Race two was not so great for team O'Hanlon - the day never got above 8 degrees C and the track began cooling right off. Winton seeps water out of the cracks too, so it was not real confidence inspiring. A few moments and a freak controller fault (we've never had them before and never had one since) meant Pottz was battling for second with Pickett on the Catavolt machine.

Race three was a cracker for us, with Pottz getting a good start, and Ripperton stuck on the start line, it was a good time to learn some lines and pick up the pace. On the last lap Pottz saw Pickett gaining on him, so he thought "Whoops, better get a move on!" :D He went on to put in a pretty quick lap, but the record still sits with Ripperton for now. I was pleased to see my old record smashed by 15 seconds, but I was hoping for 20, and for another Voltron to take it ;)

Race four was a fascinating affair - Alex Pickett had to catch a plane that night, and there was no way he could make the last race and catch his flight in time. So his Dad and Jon found a rider in the nearby pits - Simon Galloway to steer the Catavolt into the setting sun. Simon's a pretty good rider - probably as good as Alex (bear in mind Alex was riding most of the time with a dislocated shoulder and buggered wrists!!!) The commentators were rather confused but it made for some awesome racing. Voltron was down on the pace as the track was now cold, and Jon had wound some more power into the hub motor. We could smell it on track :shock:

Some great racing and loads of fun, I hope we can all make it to the next round :D

FX-Superbike video of race three (Sunday morning) first race of the video:
http://new.livestream.com/itvl/events/3224541/videos/58176703

FX-Superbike video of race four (Sunday evening) skip right to the end (2:37 or so) to find us:
http://new.livestream.com/itvl/events/3224541/videos/58194338

Trev somehow thinks I love Kawasaki bikes - I've never said a good word about them!

Simon Galloway who joyrode Catavolt in race 4 in place of Alex Picket gets to enter the eFXC championship and keep his second place and score 22 points even though he wasn't entered in the event .
This leaves me with 2 points less than than I would have if Catavolt hadn't been in race 4 because Alex had to catch a plane.
Pissed... :x

Well done Chris/Pottz/Mike.

Is anyone else having trouble seeing the end of that second video? Mine just keeps ending at around 2:36. :x

Fascinating...

The entire race 4 of the electrics has been cut from the video...

Not to worry - Markcycle put this you-tube video up :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpzvVMzP4y0

Pottz has put an onboard lap up on Youtube -

[youtube]iE1LhhsSqRI[/youtube]

Look at that front end squirm!

Rodney64 said:
Mad scientist of motor racing hasn't got a sense of humour. What's all that about Chris. You own a Kawasaki as well Chris.

I've never owned one, nor said much good about them... I'm more of a Honda man in the ICE world.

Yes Kawasaki blackbird doesn't go. Sorry but had to talk, Had a phone call from Mitsubishi (as I had previously asked to be notified when it was coming to market)about the new electric 4 wheel drive and about how well it was marketed. They didn't seem interested that I was a member if the EV association all they wanted was the questions asked. I came to this conclusion when they asked what type of car I owned and I had already told the person that I owned a Lancer. I did explain that we had an event in Perth in March but it wasn't even acknowledged.

Part of the servey is to get a $20 voucher for my participation.

Back