JP spot welder

Hey riba - are this pic's from a testrun? Because 14ms is a long time for a spotweld?

Sure, this was only for testing. I rarely use such long pulses for actual welding, although 0.3 mm nickel requires it. But I don't use 0.3 mm nickel for packs, only for testing welders at max power.

@fetcher - you're welcome :) 370 A per fet isn't such a big deal for a short time (few ms), and they have even bigger pulse rating.

Got mine in the mail today. Product and packaging are both excellent. You know what you're doing there.

It'll be a little while before I start building my pack (just have a few cells for testing now), but I'm pretty happy with what I got.

Any lurkers out there thinking about it, don't miss out! ;)

great job riba, maybe you should ask people to "pre-order" or have a list of interested members, so you can know more or less what is the demand and prepare for it better!

Jakov, where can I get new tips, mine are getting short now after 600 cells. I guess I can try to find some in a hardware store... But dont think I've seen any.

Allex said:
Jakov, where can I get new tips, mine are getting short now after 600 cells. I guess I can try to find some in a hardware store... But dont think I've seen any.
Any chance you could post a picture, we'd like to see what happens after 600 cells!

Thank you!

Tom

Lol that's really interesting :) I'll send you new ones, don't worry.

Does someone know, maybe the hardening would help? (heat with torch and then cool in water)?

@sirnick - thanks, I hope you will be pleased with it's performance :)

@cwah - yeah I've alreday got the list, and developed few methods to speed up the production, so everyone interested should get one 8)

riba2233 said:

Does someone know, maybe the hardening would help? (heat with torch and then cool in water)?

@cwah - yeah I've alreday got the list, and developed few methods to speed up the production, so everyone interested should get one 8)

I went back through the many pages here and didn't find a specification for the cooper tips. Did I miss it? It would be nice to source them locally.

Thanks for all you do!

Tom

riba2233 said:

Please add me to the wait list.

tomjasz said:
I went back through the many pages here and didn't find a specification for the cooper tips. Did I miss it? It would be nice to source them locally.

Thanks for all you do!

Tom

It's regular copper profile in cylinder shape, 5mm width, sharpened. But don't worry, I will be selling extra tips for really cheap, with extra cheap postage too. I just need to get them produced by professional, because it's too slow and painful for me to do it manually.

@redlithium - sure, no problem, and I'll reply to your PM soon, I was out today.

For anyone chocking on the price... other makers of spot welder tips charge more for their probes/pencils than the cost of this entire kit!

Sunkko leads are over $70 and are not as nice and their replacements tips are little bits of copper for $20!

Anyone chafing over the price of this kit should come to grips with the fact that the benefit of good tools goes far beyond the modest expense for this hardware. Just be patient and save up.

Also, newbie question... How do you sharpen copper tips? Sandpaper?

tomjasz said:
For anyone chocking on the price... other makers of spot welder tips charge more for their probes/pencils than the cost of this entire kit!

Sunkko leads are over $70 and are not as nice and their replacements tips are little bits of copper for $20!

SirNick said:
Anyone chafing over the price of this kit should come to grips with the fact that the benefit of good tools goes far beyond the modest expense for this hardware. Just be patient and save up.

Also, newbie question... How do you sharpen copper tips? Sandpaper?

Thank you guys! :)

markz said:
File or Dremel, or drill with dremel like bit on end.

It's actually a bit of frankenstein method lol, hard to even decsribe.

1. I put my drill into vice to use it like lathe

2. I put pre-cut pieces of copper rod into drill

3. I use angle grinder to make cone on the end of the rod

3.5 I use sand paper to smooth the new surface

4. I use modified grinding tip for drill to make final shape of the end of the tip

So yeah, It's not the nicest process, and that's why I'm going to give it to professionals in the next batch.

My tips are wearing down too. Bought these as an experiment:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181759526820?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Will let everyone know what happens.

ridethelightning said:
please add me to the list when the next batch comes :D

You're on! :)

18650dude said:
My tips are wearing down too. Bought these as an experiment:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181759526820?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Will let everyone know what happens.

That looks interesting, I was searching online for tips like that and couldn't find anything, but never thought of solder iron tip, nice find! Just make sure that the side surface is conductive, but it should be. And please tell us how does it work :)
Also, 1 mm tip is maybe too narrow (it will work for thinner nickel), I don't know if they have ~2 mm wide tip.

If the tip is too narrow, you could always file off the end a little.
I was going to try using an old-school hand crank pencil sharpener on a piece of copper rod.
I have a bunch of those soldering iron tips around. Those look like they should work great.

Here's what the pros use: http://sunstoneengineering.com/products/accessories/electrodes/
Copper/tungsten alloy might last longer, but compared to the price of soldering iron tips, it doesn't seem worth it.

I have several of the cheap solder tips. From the same sources on eBay and Amazon.

I just measured them and remembered they all hang on my magnetic tool rack. They all, regardless of diameter have steel tips. I was under the impression they need to be copper? How will steel tips imbedded in copper rods react?

What would best grade be for this use?

"High-Strength 182 Copper
This 182 copper is stronger, harder, and more wear resistant than 110 copper. Also known as RWMA Class 2 chromium copper, it is commonly used in resistance welding, for circuit-breaker parts, and for molds to make plastic parts. This material cannot be soldered, brazed, or welded. It can be heat treated."

http://www.mcmaster.com/#copper-rods/=yu43p9

Back