JP spot welder

My pre-built unit just arrived.

Thanks, Riba...

Be a little while before I get a chance to use it; will post photos when I can.

Hey Riba,

Think you could publish the list on your first post? I've been checking this thread every other day for quite some time now - but I'd rather just get an idea of when I can expect to be able to make the order based on where I'm at and who has got their order already. Let us know if you're up for this.

Agreed. I am quite curious to know where I am on the list and if I am days or weeks away from being able to order. :) Not trying to sound impatient, just eager to try it out.

riba2233 said:
They shouldn't handle that heat. You can bypass welding 0.3 or any thick nickel by welding cells in parellel with thin nickel first, and then make series by soldering copper wire on the nickel between cells, this way you wont damage cells with heat in any way, and you'll get more than enough current carrying capacity, which is very hard or impossible with nickel only, any thickness.

As for orders to people outside EU, I need to go through the list to see how many people are still interested, and then I'll know more on time frames and such.

zeremefico said:
Hi, I am interested in your welder.
Can you inform me about availability?
I live in Greece.

Hi, just send me a PM, thanks!

@lucasimo and mushymelon: Thanks a lot guys! :mrgreen:

eleven6 said:
Hey Riba,

Think you could publish the list on your first post? I've been checking this thread every other day for quite some time now - but I'd rather just get an idea of when I can expect to be able to make the order based on where I'm at and who has got their order already. Let us know if you're up for this.

Hi, you are around the middle of the list;

ecycler said:
Agreed. I am quite curious to know where I am on the list and if I am days or weeks away from being able to order. :) Not trying to sound impatient, just eager to try it out.

And you are unfortunately near the end :)

I would rather not publish the list, I want to protect people's privacy. But anyone who is interested can feel free to send me a PM and I will tell him the details, no problem at all.

Problem is that at this phase I still don't know the answers to your questions, I have just started to go through the list, so I will need some time to get everything in place. I am just in the process of moving to new apartment so I will have less time for about week or two. Thank you for understanding! 8)

^ So so true, plus Christmas is coming, which means even more stuff to do.......besides moving apartments which takes a lot of time, planning and packing as well. Then there are other factors too, like its Flu season which knocked me out for a good 2 weeks. Was in bed literally for days. Then of course you got to take care of the family, and if any of them are sick, more time to them.

I'm not even on the list, I am in no rush either, but would buy one.

Mine on the way to Australia!
Will get it pre Christmas..... along with 200 x 2.3AH 18650 Ex laptop cells
typically getting 5Wh out of (each) them with not full charges and not full discharges.
1kWh will run an Enphase M215 for 4hrs overnight or run an M250 and and M215 for ~1.5hrs
(will need more batteries in the long run)

Built a test rig at 7S8P will bump to 7S9P as still fits in same box and will be 20AH @24V

end game..... peak shaving won't buy power from grid at winter peak rate (50c/kWh) from 5pm-9pm or 7AM-11AM (1/2 the year).

Looking fwd to it.... Tesla powerwall eat you heart out!, can build my own for $1500AUD vs closer to $8K for the "real" deal.

side use -ebike charger and most importantly spot welding training for the next ebike pack with $$$ cells vs these recycled cells

It would be interesting to know the maximum Ampere that pass through the wire when welding, just to know what type of cable to buy (25 square mm, 50 square mm, etc). For example, with a Bosch S4 60Ah 540A, how much of those 540A really pass through the cable. With a Clamp Meter, shouldn't be difficult to see and report here - somebody out there ? :idea:

cwah said:
If i buy this one is it the best for good weld?
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=251410202004&alt=web
Yes.

rio9210 said:
It would be interesting to know the maximum Ampere that pass through the wire when welding, just to know what type of cable to buy (25 square mm, 50 square mm, etc). For example, with a Bosch S4 60Ah 540A, how much of those 540A really pass through the cable. With a Clamp Meter, shouldn't be difficult to see and report here - somebody out there ? :idea:

If you read back in this thread somewhere, he measured the current with a shunt and oscilloscope. Peak current was around 2000A. The pulse is so short that things don't burn up.

Relax buyers. I guarantee he'll follow up. IF we let him stay busy building them! :wink:

rio9210 said:

Your 540 A battery will probably put around 1100 A from what I've seen, but it will only last for like 10 ms, so it's not a problem. You should use 25 mm2 cables, not longer then 70 cm each.

Boestin said:
Riba? Am I still on the list?

Hi, yeah, you are! Contact me on PM please :)

Awesome job on the instructions on page #1 Riba2233!

I have looked over the other methods of Tab Welding and came to the conclusion that this is the neatest, best and cheapest way to tab weld batteries.
All I have to do now is get my a123's M1's hooked up in a non-tab-welded way in the proper configuration to use the welder.

Again, Great Job!

markz said:
Awesome job on the instructions on page #1 Riba2233!

I have looked over the other methods of Tab Welding and came to the conclusion that this is the neatest, best and cheapest way to tab weld batteries.
All I have to do now is get my a123's M1's hooked up in a non-tab-welded way in the proper configuration to use the welder.

Again, Great Job!

Thank you a lot! :)

My advice is to try and find a starter battery, at least used one, it will be much less hassle :)

Completely off topic.

But Croatia has an amazing sea organ! My dream trip.
sea-organ.jpg

https://youtu.be/QeGDjvCCkfk

Back