Karl's Business Question Thread

Karl

100 W
I am opening for part time business and I am about to purchase the stuff to resell. I am planing to sell the kits from E-bikekit.com

but he does not supply the lithium batteries anymore... only SLA. I was wondering if this was a better option

http://www.ebike-bmsbattery.com/index.php?url=products.php?did=2&did=2

and then I came across

and then I asked why not purchase everything from the same supplier....

I would really consider any feed back on these.

Thanks,
Karl

Look into regulations for shipping lithium batteries before diving in. Not sure where you are located, but shipping big lithium batteries is a problem in the US. In china, much more free to sneak a large battery into the shipping.

With the ebikekit, Jason has done a lot of small tweaks over the past few years to refine the kit into a solid product. Straight from china, expect to get more QC returns for dinky stuff like the rim and spokes. Or even big stuff, like the axle or dishing won't fit regular bikes at all. In other words, you get to do all those tweaks at your expense, as you identify the problems. Or like an ebayer, just pass on a lot of little problems to your customers to fix.

This is an unknown company, though it looks like they resell the same stuff that bmsbattery.com sells, and i don't think any of the BMSes on those packs actually work.

http://www.goasisenergy.com/lifepo4_battery

This company is actually worth looking into. 2 people on here have received packs from them so far. And for shipping out of the US, the cost is very reasonable.

Good idea dogman, I am very pleased with jasons products and they look solid in and out of the box.

but as for the batteries I would really like to sell lithium... So the kits from jason and the rest from a china battery supplier?

but as for the batteries I would really like to sell lithium... So the kits from jason and the rest from a china battery supplier?

What sort of batteries do you want to sell? Plug and play batteries that come in racks and are ready to go?

I'm sure there is a big market for those as it can save a lot of time and money for most people! Otoh, you should really read some of the reviews those sort of packs are getting. Or at least buy some and take them apart and stress test them because none of the reviews have been very positive! Plan on getting lots of warranty work done by people that do stupid things like ride the battery to LVC on the first cycle and every cycle after that and they leave it to sit discharged all the time.
Jason charges a lot for his batteries even though they are pretty meager batteries. The reason is probably because it's expensive to get GOOD batteries that WORK from the factory. People say 10% of the packs that come from hobby king have bad cells. I'm sure the same is true for almost any battery company who doesn't do thorough QC (most of the ones you'll be ordering from) And then Jason has to honor the warranty for people that do stupid things like plugging their batteries in wrong.... If he doesn't people go online and tarnish his companies name.

My point is, it's going to cost a lot and take a lot of time to sell batteries at the consumer level.

As for us, no one here is going to be interested in paying more than $500 for one of those 1c 36v 10ah batteries. Or even more than $400 really.

That being said, if you are willing to do the work, there is LOTS of room for lithium ebike batteries in the market. I just finished compilinga list of battery options for newbies on my site, and there are really only a few that get recommended here. There is a huge need for quality, modestly powerful batteries! I mean, I could order a 36v 10ah headway pack from headway headquarters for $500 OR I could order it for $300 direct from headway. Yet, I'd also be ordering extra cells from headway and I'd plan on having to possible replace bad cells and maybe the BMS. And don't even get me started on shipping times and the communication issue!

So yeah, if you are willing to cycle the pack a few times, check each cell, and make sure everything is tipsy, you could sell a quality product that there is a great need for here.

Also there is an issue of power! Almost everyone is abandoning lifepo4 for lipo packs because the only quality lifepo4 packs are 1c. Even modestly powerful 5c lifepo4 cells would be a godsend.

This company sells millions of dollars worth of batteries. They offered to sell me a 48v10ah pack made with 15c cells for $350. That's an incredible deal compared to ping, cell-man, and headway. Even at $500 they would sell like hot cakes (if they are anything close to 15c)
http://dlgbattery.en.alibaba.com/

Also here is headways page http://headway-cn.en.alibaba.com/

The bigger problem is still shipping them.

Have you already purchased liability insurance?

I havent... I am trying to figure out a solution on how to sell lithium batteries :(

Hello as some of you knows I am opening for business in canada and I would like to know how to purchase crystalytes products... Crystalyte.com does not reply to my emails... I am looking for a wholesaler

thanks,
karl

(moderator edit: moved to correct forum)

email Kenny at Crystallite: kennycrystalyte@gmail.com

He might take a few days to answer but he will, I actually emailed him last week and he responded, because I wanted to know if it was still possible to get hold of X5s, which it is not. He directed me the Australian Crystallite dealer, who luckily had one left which I snapped up.

So be patient, but Kenny is your man.

Philistine said:
email Kenny at Crystallite: kennycrystalyte@gmail.com

He might take a few days to answer but he will, I actually emailed him last week and he responded, because I wanted to know if it was still possible to get hold of X5s, which it is not. He directed me the Australian Crystallite dealer, who luckily had one left which I snapped up.

So be patient, but Kenny is your man.

Who is the Aus dealer?

John from E-mtbike (the guy behind the Stealth Bomber actually)

http://www.e-mtb.com.au/electric-bike-parts-cycle-analyst-c-65_82.html

John is great to deal with, I have bought a few things off him, and he has always been straight up, fast to process, well packaged, well freighted. Very reasonable with the prices. I highly recommend dealing with him.

EDIT: But I think I got the last 5304 he had, he is currently awaiting a boatload of Hx35s, my understanding is they are coming by ship, so he is awaiting their arrival, having sold out his first batch. But don't hesitate to contact him, he is great to deal with.

I am ordering marchandise from kenny @ crystalyte and they offer LiNiCoMnO2 batteries... Are they reliable? or should I just get SLA for less trouble?

That chemistry is known as NMC. It rocks. Safety and cycle life of LiFePO4, but much better energy density.

From my understanding, LG Chem and others have "borrowed" the tech from Argonne National Lab. LG Chem used it to beat out A123 to supply batteries for the Chevy Volt, and is now licensing it from Argonne to avoid patent litigation. At least LG Chem did create 400 jobs in Michigan for only $303 million and tons of tax breaks :roll:

I wonder who is Crystalyte's supplier?

NMC has blown up big bro. Most all mfg's are frantically swapping over. LiFePO4 is a dead end path. NMC is all ready superior in every way, and has lots of potential left. (no pun intended, lol)

Im planning to purchase 30 x 48 volts battery of them for re-sell ...

I just dont want any trouble batteries... 10,000$ of batteries is a lot... for me

Thanks,

Hello all,

I am opening for business in canada and I am purchasing stuff from kenny @ crystalyte.com

I would like to order 48v kits so when people talks about the competition I can just say mines 48v not 36..

anyways my point is I would the help of the forum members to order the best to create nice kits for a new compagny like mine
my website is under construction but you can still have a look

http://www.velomoteur.ca

I thought of ordering

more motors than controllers and more controllers than batteries.

I have so many questions I dont even know where to begin...

I will selll 3 kinds of kits
1 for distance
1 for speed
1 for torque

the distance kit will be made for my grandpa bike style - slow(25-30km/h) and steady for miles...

the speed kit will be made for people like me low torque but fast - (30-50km/h) with low torque for a fair distance

the torque kit will be made for those who wants power - (25-70km/h) with high torque (more watts) and good distance depending on choosen battery
the torque kit will be more expansive than the 2 other kits above.

for the speed kit and torque kit I would like to order only rear brushless motors
but for the front I would like a combination of both front and rear... Unless rear is so much better.

should I order kits with the wheel already built? or just the motor alone? because some people might not like the model / rim / spokes of the given wheel in the kit...

and what else should I consider?

thanks in advance for your help.

Karl

For sure man. Why else would Joby choose this chemistry :D

http://www.jobyaviation.com/aircraft.php

The only downside is volatile cobalt prices...hmm...where should I invest my bitcoins :wink:

Molicel NMC datasheet for general info: http://www.molicel.com/hq/product/DM_IBR26700A.pdf

Molicell makes the fail-boat versions of NMC. But yeah, NMC rocks pretty nicely when other companies make it, like EIG, LG chem, etc.

liveforphysics said:
NMC has blown up big bro. Most all mfg's are frantically swapping over. LiFePO4 is a dead end path. NMC is all ready superior in every way, and has lots of potential left. (no pun intended, lol)

Sounds great. Where can a guy get his paws on some for a great price? What other goodies come with NMC?...Self balancing like my Konions, I hope. :mrgreen:

When are we going to see LiFePo4 at $200/kwh or less? Dirt cheap has gotta come with obsolescence, and LiFePo4 is good enough to be quite useful.

Hey Karl,

Good luck with the business, wish i had the capital to set up one myself :D

As for the kits i think that really you only need 2 different kits as the Torque and distance kits are basically the same thing just one has a high power controller and the other has a lower power controller (less amps). thats how i would do it anyway, then you just need a selection of controllers depending on what the customer needs from your 2 kits.

As for the wheels. The distance kit would probably be ok on a front wheel but all the others need to be in a rear wheel format as you stated for safety as speed and torque do not mix well with some / most front forks. the only benefit to a front wheel drive IMO (after using one myself) is the ease of installation. So if it were me i would stick to rear wheel kits.

Id say get the kits already laced into rims. 90% of your customers will be looking for a ready to install / ready to ride setup so having to get the motor laced into a rim would be an additional complication that they would most likely prefer to not have. Once people get to the stage of worrying about what wheel a motor is laced into they are generally at the stage of DIY builds and would not benefit much from a ready made kit.

Spend the extra $5/wheel for the version WITH hall sensors, so the motor can be run with any controller, instead of being restricted to just the ones Kenny sells.

Be very specific on what you are ordering. Make no assumptions as to what is included!

Yes on lacing. LBS don't like to lace ebike motors.

-JD

Back