• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

keeping my lights at 36v after changing controller to 48v?

I have successfully converted my Sakura electric scooter bike 36v to a 48v system..But have had to disconnect my lights indicator dashboard and brake lights as they are all 36v..
Is there some way I can attach some kind of resistor or something to make it possible to reconnect my 36v bits?

Go to monsterscooter parts or electricscooterparts and get 48v bulbs. I'm assuming they are just incandecent ones.

buying 48v light bulbs would be too easy...plus as this is an electric scooter bike,It would work out quite expensive,as it has brake light as well as indicators...& I presume the flasher unit and horn would also need to be replaced..
my instinct tells me, it must be possible to add a resistor of some kind, to reduce voltage on the lighting circuit.

It is also possible that there is a DC-DC converter in there that changes your pack voltage down to 12V for regular automotive bulbs and whatnot. If that's the case, then you just need to see what input range that converter will take--it might already be spec'd to take your new pack voltage. If not, you could just replace it with another one that is rated correctly.

electrichorse said:
Is there some way I can attach some kind of resistor or something to make it possible to reconnect my 36v bits?

You could build a chopper with a simple oscillator (like a 555) and a power transistor. Set the resistor ratios so your transistor is on 75% of the time. Incandescent lamps are OK with pulsed DC since they have high thermal inertia. Make sure the frequency is high enough (say 30khz) that you don't hear it. Add an inductor to the output if EMI is an issue. (At that point you basically have a nonadjustable DC-DC converter.)

Ok, how bout a small 36v nicad pack, like two 18v tool batteries from harbor freight? Run the lights on a seperate battery like the car conversions do. But yeah, lots of other ways I'm sure. But stupid simple solution always appeals to me. I got dogs smarter than I am.

A 48V brushed dc motor controller will work in a snap if you run all of your lights off it. 75% duty cycle = 36V at the filaments.

The scooter bike (Sakura s200)has a brushless motor... Changed the original 36v controller for an Ecrazyman 48v

Back