Kelly KLS-S: Troubleshooting

It’s not exactly a fault though if you set controller higher than the BMS allows. Off course you can then get a cutout.

I’ve gotten cutouts on all KLS controllers i’ve had even without BMS. I think the current regulation isn’t good enough so it throws faults at max output.

I figured it out!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I had so many troubles with the kelly controller. I own the Kelly KLS6018S a 60V 240A Controller. Combined with the MXUS 3K Motor.
My issues: Not much current was possible, cut off/Internal Reset Error with like 40% battery current "Vehicle->Battery Limit" and 90% phase current "Vehicle->Current Percent".
Also light oscillations at many different speeds when accelerating.

Fix: First I noticed that when setting the "Vehicle -> PWM Frequency" which is the frequency the foc current gets applied to the motor, to the lowest setting, from 20KHz to 6Khz, I suddenly was able to achive way higher current settings (95% phase current and 50% Battery Current) I think even 60% battery current was theroetically possible, but thats not what my battery is capable of.

But that lead to a ton of oscillations, even at low speed now I had strong vibrations ratteling the whole ebike.
Fix: I knew something with the way the foc current loop pids work was wrong. So with some trial an error i figured it out:
Setting the Kp,iq "Control->IQ Kp" from 1500 to 400 solved 90% of the oscilations.
And lowering the Ki,iq from 30 to 25 made it even smooter.

Now everything works!
The eBike has the performance I always wanted and doesnt vibrate around insanely.

Other issues like having a hard time connecting over usb were solved by installing UC232 Driver.
If you want instant torque, set the Torque Speed Kp to 9000 and Ki to 400

Here are my Settings now:
screen1.png
screen2.png
screen4.png

You'd have to get new firmware from Kelly, if they have any for your specific model.

Their website may have downloadable firmware (I haven't seen any; I think you have to ask them directly), but I highly recommend you ask them if it is compatible with your *specific model* of controller before you use it.

And of course, you probably already know that anything that goes wrong can brick the controller. :(

Also note that newer firmware doesn't necessarily mean adding features or options. Sometimes they take things away from newer versions. :(

amberwolf said:
You'd have to get new firmware from Kelly, if they have any for your specific model.
I just re-read the 2015 thread about the kelly kls controller where about 50% of the posts where made by me :) Time flies by ...
And reading that I remembered about email conversation with Fany at that time, claiming that there was NO firmware update feature. Firmware is only flashed by Kelly and noone else :(

And reading that I remembered about email conversation with Fany at that time, claiming that there was NO firmware update feature. Firmware is only flashed by Kelly and noone else

That's a lie.

If Fany told you that then he/she is lying, they can provide you with the firmware and you can flash it yourself. It will "only work for you and your controller alone". Honestly I could see you being told "no" if you your controller is out-of-warranty period.

Hello everybody.
I have an odd one with my KLS 7218S. Its about the initial acceleration.
Everything is set for the maximum continuous 80 Amps with Peaks at 100 Amps (which is my battery limitation)
The bike reacts very agressively at higher speeds no problem but issue is when I start from standing still.
Twist the throttle to full and the Amperage ramps up from 0 Amps to 100 in 9 seconds. Looking to lower that to maybe 2-3 seconds.

I don't see anything in the configuration, Is this hardwired in the controller or am I missing something with settings?

I don't recall this happening when I had the 7230S.

You have to change the torque settings. Take a screenshot or write down the current settings first though.

For anyone interested. This is a reply from Kelly....
Please fill 80 for TPS FWD MAP.
Please fill 1 for Accel Time rate.
If your battery is powerful enough,you can fill 100 for battery limit also.

Please fill 9500 for torque speed kp,fill 400 for torque speed ki and 4000 for speed err limit.

So the firmware version doesn't affection acceleration rate.Because they both can provide these items for configuration.

Back