KT controller Pas Sensor KT V12L problem

Robbatz

10 µW
I have a strange issue with the controller or the pas sensor. I crank the pedals on flat and medium uphill terrain, the bike rides normaly until a steep hill, then the assist starts to switch on and off. If I push the throttle no problem . . . The screen is LCD3. What could be the issue? The motor is a Nine continent N48, no hall sensor, direct drive . . .

Have you set the PAS parameter to "reverse 12 pole"?

Today I've been on a ride, about 40km. Riden in 2nd assist (170W), mostly flat road, no problems until last km to get home, it's a steep hill. At the bottom of the hill I've started in 4 gear assist, about (350W). And it started again to engage and disingage the power on the motor. I've tried all other assist levels and it was the same issue. The "ASSIST" was blinking all the time. I climbed the to get home on the throttle. Is any thread with this problem, does someone have the same issue and know something about it? Thank you

Today I've been on a ride, about 40km. Riden in 2nd assist (170W), mostly flat road, no problems until last km to get home, it's a steep hill. At the bottom of the hill I've started in 4 gear assist, about (350W). And it started again to engage and disingage the power on the motor. I've tried all other assist levels and it was the same issue. The "ASSIST" was blinking all the time. I climbed the to get home on the throttle. Is any thread with this problem, does someone have the same issue and know something about it? Thank you
When you use your bicycle with throttle and everything works, it means that the LCD and controller are probably fine. I must say I had a similar problem with a friend's bicycle, and when I replaced the PAS (Pedal Assist Sensor), everything went well.

I don't know how your PAS sensor looks, but below is a picture of the PAS sensor I replaced with a new one.

When I put my finger inside, I noticed that it doesn't turn freely, it had a bit of resistance. Proceed with checking everything with your PAS sensor.

pas.png

When you use your bicycle with throttle and everything works, it means that the LCD and controller are probably fine. I must say I had a similar problem with a friend's bicycle, and when I replaced the PAS (Pedal Assist Sensor), everything went well.

I don't know how your PAS sensor looks, but below is a picture of the PAS sensor I replaced with a new one.

When I put my finger inside, I noticed that it doesn't turn freely, it had a bit of resistance. Proceed with checking everything with your PAS sensor.

View attachment 345265
Thank you for your answer. I will order one just in case it's the PAS sensor fault. But it has no logic to me. In fact, the PAS sensor is just a switch (correct me if I'm wrong), because if I crank the pedals, slow or fast the controller provides the same amount of power. And if it works in my case on flat and moderate uphill, why is it switching on and off on steep uphill. It must be something in the controller wrong, firmware, mosfets. I also adjusted the C5 parameter to half the power and it acts the same, no change . . .

Thank you for your answer. I will order one just in case it's the PAS sensor fault. But it has no logic to me. In fact, the PAS sensor is just a switch (correct me if I'm wrong), because if I crank the pedals, slow or fast the controller provides the same amount of power. And if it works in my case on flat and moderate uphill, why is it switching on and off on steep uphill. It must be something in the controller wrong, firmware, mosfets. I also adjusted the C5 parameter to half the power and it acts the same, no change . . .
The PAS sensor uses the same axle as the one used by the pedal arms, and this may affect the sensor. So, when you press the pedals, the PAS sensor can be affected.

All of this doesn't mean that you have the same problem. I'm just saying that you have to start from something.

The PAS sensor is like an on-off switch, and the controller reads it all the time. However, if the next signal, for example, doesn't come as expected because the PAS sensor somehow got stuck, then the controller thinks you've stopped cranking the pedals and doesn't provide power to the motor.

Last edited:
In fact, the PAS sensor is just a switch (correct me if I'm wrong), because if I crank the pedals, slow or fast the controller provides the same amount of power.
It is and it isn’t. The timing between pulses is used by other controllers and can increase or decrease assist accordingly. It’s not used that way for stock KT cotnrollers, but it’s still used to turn assist on or off, so assist stops if the cranks are turning too slow. With open source firmware, the pulses can be used to adjust assist, like when using a cycle analyst (I increase assist automatically with the CA when pedal cadence increases, when I downshift for a hill, for instance).
What do you have P3 and C1 set to?

Last edited:
It is and it isn’t. The timing between pulses is used by other controllers and can increase or decrease assist accordingly. It’s not used that way for stock KT cotnrollers, but it’s still used to turn assist on or off, so assist stops if the cranks are turning too slow. With open source firmware, the pulses can be used to adjust assist, like when using a cycle analyst (I increase assist automatically with the CA when pedal cadence increases, when I downshift for a hill, for instance).
What do you have P3 and C1 set to?
P3 is on 1, so the throttle is always full power, and C1 is on 7, I've tried 6 and 5 with no effect. Two hours ago I moved the PAS sensor cable that was going in the controller box with the cable for the motor, and now the interruptions are a little bit less. Could be that is harvesting some induction? Tomorrow I will open the box and separate them for good. I'll be back with positive news I hope . . .
Does someone know what the C2 setting is all about, what is the parameter refering to? No explanation in the manual. I keep it on 0. It's something about motor phase. The 9C N48 motor that I have is 120 degree between phases. The C2 setting has 8 options ???

Last edited:
Back