Lebowski controller IC 2.B0 source code and (short) explanation

Hi Bas

I really need some help.
I have tried to get temp sensors working inside the battery. I set them up first on desk.
Whenever i connect a single sensor i can get an address from it. Then i set my temp/amp limits and try the reading.
When reading cold sensor i get about 130deg and when i try to heat it with my body temperature i get like 245deg value.
Now they dont seem like the Farenheit values or Cenutigrade. What are they?

I am actually using DS18S20 sensors i got with some thermometers from ebay. Is it possible they have different gain?

tnx

arber333 said:
Hi Bas

I really need some help.
I have tried to get temp sensors working inside the battery. I set them up first on desk.
Whenever i connect a single sensor i can get an address from it. Then i set my temp/amp limits and try the reading.
When reading cold sensor i get about 130deg and when i try to heat it with my body temperature i get like 245deg value.

I am actually using DS18S20 sensors i got with some thermometers from ebay. Is it possible they have different gain?

tnx

The Lebowski inverter is expecting a 9 bit result from the temperature sensor but the cheapo fleabay sensors return a 12 bit result. That means the temperature displayed is out by a factor of 8. You have three options:

1) Use genuine temp sensors, they are after all cheap in comparison to the value of your car.
2) Armed with the knowledge that the returned temperature is out by a factor of 8 simply scale your rolloff settings by a factor of 8.
3) Locate the section of the Lebowski source code where the temperature data is received from the sensor and modify the code to do three bit shifts to the left which is french for divide by 8. Recompile and your done.

I would advise solution 1), do you really want to put your inverters powerstage in the hands of cheap fleabay knockoff temperature sensors. I considered it myself :oops: but Bas talked me out of it with common sense.

kiwifiat said:
arber333 said:
Hi Bas

I really need some help.

tnx

The Lebowski inverter is expecting a 9 bit result from the temperature sensor but the cheapo fleabay sensors return a 12 bit result. That means the temperature displayed is out by a factor of 8. You have three options:

1) Use genuine temp sensors, they are after all cheap in comparison to the value of your car.
2) Armed with the knowledge that the returned temperature is out by a factor of 8 simply scale your rolloff settings by a factor of 8.
3) Locate the section of the Lebowski source code where the temperature data is received from the sensor and modify the code to do three bit shifts to the left which is french for divide by 8. Recompile and your done.

I would advise solution 1), do you really want to put your inverters powerstage in the hands of cheap fleabay knockoff temperature sensors. I considered it myself :oops: but Bas talked me out of it with common sense.

True, those are $$$ batteries there... I am now waiting for DS18S20 from Mouser. But i will need to build the end probes. Its a shame because ebay version is nicely set into a tube with good length of cable allready.

I will need to test with my friends build. He allready has his sensors built in his pack. So i guess if they are not correct i will use option 2 then? I dont want to mess with the code just yet.

EDIT: Still waiting on Mouser...

tnx

I made the endprobes and taped them into my cells. The setup works well, i have good temperature reading from each side of battery box in each box. Since i have cells in front and back boxes i needed to extend 3wire cable front-back. I used 3pin sealed connectors with caps which can be screwed onto each other.
Now I get accurate temp reading and it doesnt diverge for more than a deg.

Hi Bas
After many years of use there was a leak in cooling system on my car and my inverter broke IGBTs. I already wanted to replace my brain board with more modern one and i did.While testing i noticed there was a tendency for brain to keep inverter in error mode (1st led which is red). I tried to run the motor several times and i managed to get it running in sensorless mode but only when i was touching the motor by hand. Strange no? I am using the latest firmware.

Incidentally i noticed current sensors dont want to calibrate. They will just pop inverter from program mode. Nor does the FOC values work.
Do you know what process is governing the red fault diode? It just wont go into hall or sensorless mode and spin the motor.

tnx

Arber   

Well i need to answer my own question.
It seems i left pins 5, 7 and 8 on dsPic30 floating. They are supposedly sense phase transition with low voltage inverters. When i connected them to GND via 2.7K resistors i could suddenly use my inverter as before.

Back