Legends dropping like flies

:cry:
Car turned left across his path. Oblivious, negligent car drivers pull that crap on me nearly every day. So far I'm slow enough and vigilant enough that I haven't been badly hurt (but I have been hit).

We have to figure out some way to disincentivize cars. Good public transit, appropriate taxation, and robust, ruthless enforcement against high MV² traffic violators would be a good start.

I saw that Pat Robertson and Silvio Berlusconi both died, but I'd file them under "villains" rather than "legends".

We have to figure out some way to disincentivize cars. Good public transit, appropriate taxation, and robust, ruthless enforcement against high MV² traffic violators would be a good start.
I agree. Just passing an other law won't fix the problem. Need to tie it with money to get things to change.

I agree. Just passing an other law won't fix the problem. Need to tie it with money to get things to change.
It may be, #1 where I live currently and/or #2 a nasty streak of pessimism that has gotten worse as I age/decay, but I don't see any hint of change for the better, regarding fewer cars driven by distracted/inept/pretentious drivers, here in the U.S. of Autos.

Around here the state D.O.T. can't build new or widen existing roads fast enough to manage the car onslaught and invest just lip service (certainly no real funding) to any alternative transportation infrastructure. Maybe a little paint here and there, repurposing an existing lane for a short distance - nothing connected though, as in no actions that would promote destination-based bicycling. The car-driving crazies here want bicycles banned from (even the secondary) roads during "rush hour", and whenever there's a hint of even the possibility of bicycle-related infrastructure they go ballistic. Political suicide.

I mostly destination ride - used to commute, but now ride mostly errands, and I obey all of the road use laws and use hand signals (not that car drivers here either seem to know hand signals mean or are willing to heed them).

I've wondered whether the successive inside-only kid generations and now parents have fostered the idea of the car is the only way to get around.

Maybe, it's mostly prevalent where I live now. Maybe there are better places for cyclists (like Portland, OR). Maybe.

Last edited:
Paul Reubens, 70, possibly from cancer.

RIP

Robbie Robertson, member of the Band​

You can not prevent %#$%$# in tin cans from crushing cyclists if they use the same medium of travel. Good public transport wouldn't fix the bad apples in tin can's, but it would lower their numbers. Sending someone to prison after killing someone with their car won't prevent them killing someone with their car. A hefty fine won't stop a repeat offender from offending again. These are all truths. Maybe one sided truths, but I don't think they can be denied.

*was on a ride through the country side, along a canal and farm houses / dike.. typical Dutch polderlandschap. Max speed is 50.. for tin can's.. some %%#%#$%# in a lowered, red Volkswagen GTI came towards me going over 80 if not a 100 and misses me with maybe 10cm so I loose balance and have to steer in the grass and brake to prevent going off the dike ( thank god I wasn't riding the other way or I'd had to ditch in the water perhaps... I'm not in a good mood related to tin cans today

You can not prevent %#$%$# in tin cans from crushing cyclists if they use the same medium of travel. Good public transport wouldn't fix the bad apples in tin can's, but it would lower their numbers. Sending someone to prison after killing someone with their car won't prevent them killing someone with their car. A hefty fine won't stop a repeat offender from offending again. These are all truths. Maybe one sided truths, but I don't think they can be denied.

I believe that if driving a car were as expensive, inconvenient, and slow as it should be, and using transit or cycling were as fast, cheap, and easy as it should be, people would make better choices and the safety issue would sort itself out.

Your horror story sounds like an everyday occurrence for me on my 22km (one way) commute through neighborhood streets with major stroad crossings. You can't use bikes for transportation in USA without a thick skin or a fortunate cycle path route. Pretty much every time, somebody squeezes past me when I'm already moving at 40 km/h, only to immediately turn right across my lane as if I had disappeared as soon as they passed.

I have to shake it off to continue, which I do by imagining them burning inside their own cars with their own gasoline. Maybe one day we can all make my dreams a reality. Free Soweto necklaces for all jackass drivers!

I believe that if driving a car were as expensive, inconvenient, and slow as it should be, and using transit or cycling were as fast, cheap, and easy as it should be, people would make better choices and the safety issue would sort itself out.
Don't think this would work, depending on which specific connection. For inner city ->suburb close to high speed train station or direct high speed tram connection, maybe. But lots of people will at most be able to get parity with lots of effort.

Maybe taxing pollution more, but then I feel it's asinine to try and put that burden primarily on consumers instead of 'evil corporations'.

Also can't make cycling as fast as a tin can, those aren't bicycles anymore but motorcycles and that's fine but then you need to adhere to regulations for motorcycles.

If everyone on bicycles got a motorcycle license, it would help with congestion but not sure everyone can handle the throttle discipline required.

I have to shake it off to continue, which I do by imagining them burning inside their own cars with their own gasoline. Maybe one day we can all make my dreams a reality. Free Soweto necklaces for all jackass drivers!

I have to moderate myself to realize eventually I think sending these drivers straight to driver rehab and be put on probation might change their behavior and prevent them eventually killing someone down the line.

But my initial reaction is indeed to tell em I would like to see em burn... maybe it's a good thing I aren't driving a murder machine I might myself get a roadrage moment... thankfully I am safe, meatbags nor bicycles win headbutting contests with tin can's.

I really try to avoid these paths, but they were renewing about 8km of dedicated cycling path on the other bank.. horror show and not even indicated on maps

Bob Barker, lived to 99 years of age. Dayum.

Back