LightningRods mid drive kit

For the regular Big Block I’d recommend an ASI BAC2000, a Nucular 12F or a Trampa 250 VESC. All great controllers and none of them work well with the Cyclone motors. The ASIs are a living pain to set up. Fortunately Greg at the High Voltage Group has produced a great tune for my motors as well as a plug and play wiring harness. You should be able to plug it together and go ride. For the time being they are using an Eggrider display.

My drives do not use freewheels on the motor so regen braking is possible. The big difference between my drive and the others, other than the obvious power difference, is that my drives are designed to optimise the performance and reliability of the motor system. No clutches or freewheels to wear out or break, gearing that is correct for the motor instead of pedaling, and enough power to make single speed riding fun. The CYC, the Cyclone, and also the Bafang drives are pedal assists. The gearing is compromised to work with 100 rpm human power. Other than matching pedaling cadence there is no reason at all to over reduce motor speed and then have overdrive final gearing to increase wheel rpm. It only creates driveline stress and problems.

I am going to order more small motors as well as the new “XXL” 18kW motor. I’ll have four sizes of motors. 5kW(SB), 10kW(BB), 13kW(XL) and 18kW(XXL). The M went away when I changed factories and went to the IPM motors. The new SB way out performs the old M motor. All four new motors are IPMs.

The factory is closed this week. I’ll order next week, a couple of weeks for production. I’ll have most of them sea freighted (1 month). People in a hurry can pay extra for air freight (<1 week).

LightningRods said:
I am going to order more small motors as well as the new “XXL” 18kW motor. I’ll have four sizes of motors. 5kW(SB), 10kW(BB), 13kW(XL) and 18kW(XXL). The M went away when I changed factories and went to the IPM motors. The new SB way out performs the old M motor. All four new motors are IPMs.

Have you shown off the new XXL motors? Im dying to see one. And also drives using such a beast. Gotta pic?

Here's the new brute. 5.25" in diameter, 5.25" wide, 17.5 lbs, IPM, 3 separate phase wires, 2x the Big Block's factory power rating
IMG_6044.jpeg
The size of the output bearing (R) compared to all of the other motors
IMG_6057.jpeg
Left to right- XXL, XL, Big Block center cases
IMG_6217.jpeg
Left to right- XXL, XL, Big Block motor shafts
IMG_6218.jpeg

john61ct said:
PowerVelocity FOC?
I tested the PV Next Gen for months. Vad and I fought with a shut down condition under full throttle that Vad thought was overly aggressive overcurrent protection. The controller had fantastic throttle control and was scary fast right up to 100% power. Then total shut down. Long story short I sent the controller back for inspection/repair and then found that the problem was with the BMS. Vad also built the battery. Vad was great the entire time and provided tons of support. At the moment unfortunately, Vad is hiding and not responding to my emails. I'm short either a controller or $500. When and if I get another of those controllers I'm looking forward to testing it.

The XXL is going into a Motoped very soon. I plan to start the build on the drive this week.

An earlier Motoped build I did with the 13kW XL motor.
IMG_3180.jpeg

Thats just nutty lol. The XXL may actually be too large for a practical ebike mid drive. But great for heavier vehicles. Id still slap one on a mountain or DH bike just to see what happens, but thats just me.

Nice! I want one. Would be nice to have standard like 8mm sprocket spline as a shaft end option. :D
49cc-Motorcycle-8mm-Chain-T8F-11-Tooth-Front-Pinion-Sprocket-Chain-Cog-Motorcycles-Drive-Gears-Accessories.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Are the new lines of motors " backward compatible" with the old ones? Can you swap an old for a new? Could an owner of one of you older drives find an IPM motor, from you, that would fit, your "legacy drives"?

Ty for the reply.

SwampDonkey said:
Thats just nutty lol. The XXL may actually be too large for a practical ebike mid drive. But great for heavier vehicles. Id still slap one on a mountain or DH bike just to see what happens, but thats just me.
:lol:
I agree that this monster does not belong on a bicycle. I intend to install one on a 1966 Honda Sport 90 that I bought to do a twin Big Block installation on. One XXL will more than double the power of my little Honda. My thought for these motors was for big battery box ebikes and light motorcycle conversions. I won’t be putting one on my Huffy with coaster brake. :lol:

speedmd said:
Nice! I want one. Would be nice to have standard like 8mm sprocket spline as a shaft end option. :D
That would be nice! If only I had an indexing CNC steel mill…

DogDipstick said:
Are the new lines of motors " backward compatible" with the old ones? Can you swap an old for a new? Could an owner of one of you older drives find an IPM motor, from you, that would fit, your "legacy drives"?
The IPM motors are externally identical to the old external magnet motors except for the separate hall wire loom. Yes they will fit the drives made back in the external magnet day.
Benefits:
A pristine hall signal that’s fully compatible with all of the newest sine and VESC controllers.
Magnets that won’t break, fly off and trash the motor at high rpm (tested to 12,000 rpm)
Insane high RPM performance with field weakening. Peak rpm increases from 5,000 to 10,000 on 20S.
The best finish and quality control that I’ve seen on a motor of this type.

LightningRods said:
speedmd said:
That would be nice! If only I had an indexing CNC steel mill…

Hex pattern is simple to do with a huge nut welded to the shaft clamps and partially split. Done that a few times in the old mill with great results.

SwampDonkey said:
Universalus said:
Great. There is a high chance that I am going to replace my belt driven CYC PRO1. Out of 4 currently own e-bikes, CYC is the most disappointing...
IMG_3256.jpg

Why is the CYC disappointing? Im gettinbg either the Cyclone 6kW, single stage LR big block,or the CYC X1 pro. Havent decided yet,still gathering info. Can you compare it to the LR BB drive?

I can't compare the CYC to the Big Block as I don't own one. However, there are some thoughts comparing to the weakest e-bike I own: G510.
CYC X1 is extremely noisy, low power at low motor RPM (Using ASI BAC855). Comparing with the Bafang G510, which is supposed to be 2x weaker (according to the advertisement), there is barely a difference comparing these two in a drag race. Both used with a 54V battery 14s.
Bafang G510 has a lot more usable torque at low rpm vs CYC, which has torque at extreme rpm.
CYC at high RPM going up the steep hill is not consuming more than 1,6kW from the battery (We all expect it to be 3000W, right?). In fact, I haven't seen the power higher that 2,2kW using 14s (54V battery) under any circumstances. (Battery used 14s9p with 100A BMS). If RPM drops under a load, CYC can't accelerate, it loses the ability to climb as soon as you shortly release the throttle. It is not critical on flat, but highly noticeable on hilly roads. G510 even being weaker is more usable. And comparing to the CYC, it is virtually dead silent.
My CYC has all new bearings, sadly enough, the original (SKF) didn't last long enough...
In short, at least my own CYC PRO GEN1 proved to be the most expensive, extreme maintenance requiring item, way too noisy to enjoy the ride, unreliable and not providing the power as advertised (I am talking about the whole system power, not the motor itself).

But the Bafang G510 parts stream SUCKS!

LightningRods said:
So don’t buy either one of those turkeys! 😁

Nope. The problems wore me out. Typical Bafang, making different versions of the same motor. Lots of requests, sales, and reports of failed G510 controllers.

if torque sensing PAS is important, not many options right now. tsdz2, cyc, bafang stuff. with así controllers might this be in the future for the small block at least?

Back