LightningRods mid drive kit

teslanv said:
Mixed feelings of awe and fear.

How many watts can a rear cassette take, I wonder. With my 750W Bafang, my heart skips every time I shift gears under high load.

Next step would be to figure out the best/most durable power transfer mechanism from the crank to the rear wheel.

Carry one or more space chains and a chain breaker.

I've developed a simple electronic addon for use with the Bafang and it's internal controller or with an Infineon style external controller. The other component is a modified shifter (twist and trigger can both usually be modified) and each time a shift is detected in process the addon just backs off the throttle slightly and then comes back - this removes trauma from the shift to the drive line when the Bafang has been configured for full time maximum output and allows for higher power levels without drivetrain / derailer damage.

Regards,
Mike
PS: Yes this will be available in the coming months, I also have an open source version of the BBS-01/BBS-02 software I've been working on for some time which I will be releasing in about the same time so you will be able to custom program the onboard controller for those who wish to retain the stock controller over an external.

Thanks Mike for developing that. I think the market for these two mid-drives (LR and BBS02) is pretty huge. The big manufacturers have made long-term commitments to proprietary frame interfaces, with Bosch being the dominant factory middie. If they developed a mid drive that could be added to an existing bike...it would undermine their current strategy and partnerships with large bicycle manufacturers. Sooo...I don't see any competition coming from them any time soon . http://www.electricbike.com/trek-bosch/

I am not a fan of the generic China-Mart bikes from the big box stores, but...that's all that some people can afford, especially for their first e-bike. With these two mid drive kits, an owner can upgrade the bike when finances allow. HUGE untapped market...

Your wright spinningmagnets the LR & BBSO2 are a poor man's dream . Up grade as I go !!! Thanks to all of you on Endless-sphere :D

Now I've had the Bafang BBS02 installed for a while, I'm getting itchy fingers to try the LR package :)

amigafan2003 said:
Now I've had the Bafang BBS02 installed for a while, I'm getting itchy fingers to try the LR package :)

I have a mid drive but want to try this also. It looks really cool. Great job LR. Does anyone have a video of this thing in action? Would prefer any off-road videos if you can point me to those.

drew12345 said:
amigafan2003 said:

I have a mid drive but want to try this also. It looks really cool. Great job LR. Does anyone have a video of this thing in action? Would prefer any off-road videos if you can point me to those.

I have my own kit pulled together and plan to install it ASAP on a Specialized 29er hard tail that I bought to convert. I need to pump up my battery pack. I bought a 72V 40 amp Infineon with CA2 some time ago. It's been waiting for the completion of the kit.

I live in a cyclist's paradise with country roads and open trails everywhere. I plan to shoot a lot of video of the kit in action with power slides, rooster tails and wheelies as well as some scenic rides through beautiful country. Our six months of good weather is just starting and I can't wait to get out on my bike. :D

There is a lot of great video shot by others scattered throughout the main GNG thread. A recent one was by Skyungjae right after he installed my 25mm belt drive. He's not running massive watts but his video made me want to get out and ride.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLjBBFCSK2E&feature=youtu.be

LR ......I am looking forward to seeing your kit up and running on your bike. I have been watching with interest to follow how the slow throttle response will be with this kit. I have found with my mid drive (mac 10t) the version 3 CA is a must have to get some slow speed control. The lack of throttle setting response with the version 2 CA I have found to be too jumpy on my set up and felt the Version 3 CA was worth having. Are you feeling you will have good slow speed throttle response or its it a priority for you?

waynebergman said:
LR ......I am looking forward to seeing your kit up and running on your bike. I have been watching with interest to follow how the slow throttle response will be with this kit. I have found with my mid drive (mac 10t) the version 3 CA is a must have to get some slow speed control. The lack of throttle setting response with the version 2 CA I have found to be too jumpy on my set up and felt the Version 3 CA was worth having. Are you feeling you will have good slow speed throttle response or its it a priority for you?

You have to use current throttle instead of the standard voltage throttle to get that low speed control you are referring too. Throttle curve is completely dependent on your controller, and CA when one is used. Nothing to do with the motor itself. Here is a thread on the subject.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31518

mwkeefer said:
I also have an open source version of the BBS-01/BBS-02 software I've been working on for some time which I will be releasing in about the same time so you will be able to custom program the onboard controller for those who wish to retain the stock controller over an external.

Really? Want to post some info on that in the BBS thread? Alot of people are asking when they'll be able to program the units.

Absolutely loving the kit at this point. Take my money please! :twisted:

Soon...a lot of people will be saying:

Shut-Up-And-Take-My-Money.jpg

As some of you may have seen in one of my previous posts, I've been riding a snow bike for the last few weeks thanks to our beloved gng kit, upgraded of course with LR's belt and support brackets, combined with a Ktrak snow kit.

I have rode the hell out of it in the snow. The track is heavy and induces lots of resistance, not to mention the added weight it brings to my whole build. I run my gng at 24s limited to 40 amps via my CA. For roughly 4kw of power. Which I was topping regularly with the snow bike. The added weight and resistance has been really hard on my drive train. I have eaten up 2 bike chains and 1 rear cassette, where i actually wore off some teeth on my largest sprocket. Under peak loads the chain was actually skipping and sliding over the teeth. And I have a lot of tension on it, not something that ever happened with just wheels on the bike. I did ride almost %100 of the time in my first gear because of the load induced by the track and snow.

A few days ago, we had another snow storm, winter just won't give up this year. I was stuck home alone with my youngest 6 year old daughter. Looking at the snow covered streets, looking at my snow bike, looking at my daughter......I couldn't leave her alone, so I had a brilliant idea......

sledsnowbike.jpg

Well she had an absolute blast. But that last ride through the streets ruined the track on my ktrak. And it was on that ride that I wore out my rear cassette. Lost about 6 of the pads on the track that snapped right off. The track was designed for human power, not 4kw + pulling a sled.

Everything broke riding my snow bike in the last few weeks, bike chain, cassette, track, but your belt upgrade held and didn't slip once. Part of being an over volter I guess :roll: But you think you can make your belt upgrade a little less good? I would have preferred having to replace a belt because of slipping wear and tear, over all the other parts :p

IMAG0211.jpg

Sorry Wishes. I warned you guys when I set out to upgrade this belt drive, "I want the rest of your bike to break first."

If you really want something that will give up early and keep the rest of your driveline nice and safe, there's always the stock GNG drive. :lol:

I don't know if it is better to contact you here or on your email, but I am interested in the motor. Will you list the specs on it? Your website just says brushless outrunner motor $125. I am making a gokart and your pricing seems on par with all the chinese sites. I'd rather give you the money. Does it come with a 420 chain sprocket or 219 like you are using? I'd like a #25 sprocket, but I think I have one that will fit direct on the motor shaft if not.

And what would the weights be if you adapted the mount to accept Astro 3210, 3215 and 3220 inrunners, just curious since given the level of performance these 150.00 85% efficient motors provide, Imagine what a monster 3220 at 94% efficiency would provide :)

-Mike

ps: LR {nudge}

Hi Mike,

I have just got back to my Titus project with the GNG and LR top and bottom plates, only to discover that the jackshaft from the GNG is bent on the freewheel side. Is the jackshaft you sell the same as the GNG original or will I need to buy the LR belt sprocket and a different freewheel as well? And/or if anyone has an original GNG jackshaft available, I'll buy that too.

Alex

Back