Long-term effects of derestricting Bosch motors?

I'm looking at bikes with the Performance Line CX.

The Bosch website says they have 85nm of torque with a max power of 600W but these would increase if you derestrict them.

Has anybody got experience in how the motor does after derestricting? Whether it's the chip or the magnet derestriction strategy.

I really like how some brand name low step bikes look and I'd like to use them for long distance, fast-paced commutes at up to ~50km/h. Maybe I can limit the speed if it's better to do so.

Last edited:
You may void the warranty if they find out you bypassed their safety features if you take it in to the local lbs. Sometimes they have security stickers to show its been tampered with if you open it up. You may also burn the motor up faster without the added safe guards depending on how much more power your going to push. Safely you could up it a bit, but I wouldn not say double, or even 1000w but I'd say start off at 800-900w and keep close tabs on the heat, the noise. The other biggest issue is the proprietary system where you have to buy their battery so that would be something I'd look into to "hack" so you could use any battery. Its not my cup of tea so I dont follow to closely whats going on in the hacking of proprietary systems.

You may void the warranty if they find out you bypassed their safety features if you take it in to the local lbs. Sometimes they have security stickers to show its been tampered with if you open it up. You may also burn the motor up faster without the added safe guards depending on how much more power your going to push. Safely you could up it a bit, but I wouldn not say double, or even 1000w but I'd say start off at 800-900w and keep close tabs on the heat, the noise. The other biggest issue is the proprietary system where you have to buy their battery so that would be something I'd look into to "hack" so you could use any battery. Its not my cup of tea so I dont follow to closely whats going on in the hacking of proprietary systems.
Thanks Calab. I'll find out. I'm not going to buy one if it's not suitable.

Back