Looking for input on new build

I recently did a DD build and have been bitten by the ebike bug. I am already thinking about a different kind of bike. What I would like to do is build an ebike from a retro styled bike like this one I have uploaded. I would like it to be as light as possible and as stealthy as possible also, which to me means visibly and audibly. Power is not a huge concern so something 500 watts or less should do the trick. I was thinking of a smaller geared hub with one of Luna's new 52v 3 pound mini cubes. I'd probably put it on the rear just for safety sake. My other thought would be a mid drive. Do you think the mid would be better or worse in this application? What would the noise level be like compared to the geared hub? I have a sine wave controlled DD right now that is almost inaudible so that is my benchmark.

Attachments

• Nichibei_Fuji_Sagres.jpg
    Nichibei_Fuji_Sagres.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 489
My 2 cents:

A small geared hub motor on the rear sounds like the better option out of the gate.

You could keep the front freewheel as-is, not having to swap it out for the integrated FW that comes with a mid-drive. Would make for a cleaner look.

Where were you thinking of mounting the mini-cube you are considering? Rear rack? Elsewhere?

Where were you thinking of stashing the controller? With the cube battery or frame mount?

I'd have to defer to others on the noise level expertise. The one BBS02 mid-drive I've seen/heard demonstrated "live" did make some gear noise, only slightly noticeable. I've not had the opportunity to see a geared hub motor live, only on YT.

If that bike is really retro, chances are it's bottom bracket will never be able to fit a modern mid drive. Bike from the 70's I mean.

Tiny gear motor in back, steel frame so no worries about width, which will likely be narrow. Bend er out to 135mm.

But wheel size could be a problem, such as old school 28". Old school 27" almost as bad, but at least you can still get tires for that. Look for a bike with 700c rim for the win. (modern 28")

It is a good idea to stay in the 500 watt range as anything more is harder on the frame, a with no suspension and small tires it can be a bumpy ride on the road. A mid drive is tough on the chain and derailleur, but with 500 watts of power you should be ok. To keep the to a smaller hub, You might look into a planetary gear setup, they work well, but costs more.

Back