Looking to Over Volt Motor on purpose, will Sabvoton fry itself if motor fails?

CandyAloha

100 µW
Simply put, I'm looking to over volt a used motor I have. I want to know, if I do fry it during my cooling experiments will the controller, a 72v Sabvoton controller be damaged?

If yes, I would like to know how I can protect it. I plan to try multiple motors etc on this controller.

Thank you.

If you short the phases together (melted phase wires, burned insulation on phase windings, axle spinout from excessive torque twisting up the axle wires), or short phases to halls (melted phase/hall wires, twisted axle wires), then you can destroy FETs, gate drivers, and potentially the actual MCU in the controller.

The only protection you can add against that is not causing those kinds of failures, by not running the system too hard and overheating or overtorqueing things.

You can add multiple-point temperature monitoring, but you'll need to watch a bunch of thermometer displays all the time to see if any overheat, or use ones with alarms you can set, or monitor all the sensors with an arduino/etc and have it alarm you or even just shut off the controller on overheat.

Up to the point the axle itself breaks, you can prevent (mostly) axle spinout (and the wire damage that causes) by using clamping torque plates with or instead of dropouts on your frame. See The Torque Arm Picture Thread for some examples; others are scattered around the forum and less easy to find in a search.

The axle itself will break at some point past it's "ratings" (there usually are no torque ratings for those available from the manufacturers, so you can only guesstimate or test to destruction); it's hard to predict because most hubmotors are not designed very well, compounded by poor manufacturing and quality control of both materials and workmanship, so there can be hidden defects (cracks, casting flaws, etc) in teh axles and other parts, too.

I've fried a 1000w motor with Sabvoton 150a + lipo and lucky the controller survived. To me it kinda sounds like you want to fry it on purpose? It's not really the volts that fry, but more so the current you indeed to push. Maybe if you tell us your setup up and we might be able to advice the likelihood of failure.

The sabvoton can recognize an overcurrent situation.
But do not try flux weakening with an unloaded motor. I have killed a SVMC72260 and a Svmc72150, both during an unloaded run on the main stand. Before I have been driven both and they worked without any issues powered up to their limits.

The SVMC72260 had dead Mosfets, after exchanging all the FETs it ran for a few days, than it was not able to recognize the hall sensors anymore.
The SVMC72150 has no dead FETs but does not recognize the hall sensors anymore.
The actual installed SVMC72150 has done 5000km without flux weakening and without any issues running with up to 175Apeak DC and 165A (21S Li-NMC) for longer periods up to 15 Minutes during uphill drives. Phase current is 350Apeak 250Arms.
20201127_134128.jpg

Back