LOOSE EBIKE DISC BRAKE HOLE

Supreme Kay

10 mW
Hello Ebikers,
I am having an issue with my rear e-bike wheel. I bought a rear wheel e-bike conversion kit from eBay (48V 1000W Electric Bicycle Cycle E Bike 26"Conversion Kit Hub Motor Rear Wheel). The disc brake holes on the wheel are loose I replace the standard screws that came with the kit with M5*10mm Screws Stainless Steel T25 Cycle Bicycle Brake Disc Bolts Screw: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015CK1ZPQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The holes are too loose for the screws to hold the disc brake rotor tight. Is there any way I can fix this without having to buy a new conversion kit?

Thank in advance for your input?

You can remove the side cover and install M5 x 0.8 thread inserts (e.g. Helicoils), or you can tap the cover for 6mm fasteners and drill your brake rotor a little bit larger (like 1/4").

A lot of hub motors need special short brake bolts, or they go too far and jam against the motor innards before the rotor gets tight.

All of them are tapped the wrong size?
Or some are damaged?

Rotor mounting screws are very hard. If you change the size, you will have to make sure to find the equivalent. I would use helicoils, because I did a disc mount repair this way and it did last, and keeping using the standard screws will make future maintenance simpler since you won't have to find adequate screws everytime.

I know its not proper, but for this piece of trash motor, I'd be tempted to try a high temp epoxy. Your disc will end up glued to the motor, and the bolts into the holes, but that would be ok with me. Get the fit right for the disc first of course, if you need spacers. Then glue it up.

Helicoil a motor worth the cost and effort, but this one is garbage. Run it awhile, then chuck it or sell it off.

Back