man vs wild starting fire with li-ion battery

If Ed did that ten times in a row, right in front of my eyes, I would still need someone else to demonstrate before I accepted it as genuine.

To say he has a credibility issue is an understatement. :wink:

Joseph C. said:
If Ed did that ten times in a row, right in front of my eyes, I would still need someone else to demonstrate before I accepted it as genuine.

To say he has a credibility issue is an understatement. :wink:
I have to admit that as I watched I couldn't help but wonder how he was cheating this time. Just watched once, but I didn't see the pack produce a flame.

I've seen some odd McGyver fire-starts over the years. Even if I doubted some of them would be very effective, I'm sure I would try them, if the specified materials were all that was available.

Touching ~3V+ battery terminals to some steel wool. (must be extra-fine very thin metal fibers) Even easier with 9V or 12V...
images

Making a solar-concentrating lens out of a block of ice that I have shaped, or have cast by putting water in two shallow bowls, then mating the flat sides. Boiling the water first before freezing it will make the lens clear instead of frosty, which improves its performance http://www.primitiveways.com/fire_from_ice.html
images

Splitting open an aluminum can(s) and shaping a solar concentrating dish, also polishing the aluminum to a mirror finish with....(wait for it)...chocolate?
http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/fire/cokeandchocolatebar/

I have made whistle slides out of a smooth cylindrical section of a sapling branch, it "may" be possible to make a fire-piston out of a wooden cylinder slide (25:1 compression ratio) Fire pistons work quite well when made out of modern materials, its a roll-of-the-dice when using adapted found materials.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Illustrated-amp-Detailed-Guide-To-Making-A-Fire-/

In the cave-man movie "Quest for Fire", the method shown is barely adequate under the best of circumstances, a vertical stick rubbed between the hands to spin the shaft and heat the tip...I thoroughly recommend the method shown by Tom Hanks in "Castaway". A split rubbing pad allows fresh oxygen to be pulled in by rising warm air around the rubbing point.Well-proven to work in a fairly rapid manner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP2P8mhif-g

I can't help but to believe that if Hanks had used organic fibers to make some string, he could've made a bow, which when using a sawing motion, can spin a shaft VERY fast.
pmoctechnique.jpg

As always...YMMV

There are very impressive methods of lighting fires, Spinningmagnets.

If it was anyone else demonstrating how to light a fire with a mobile phone battery I would go 'that's interesting. But certainly not in the case of someone with the track record of what Edward Grylls has. The extremely dodgy cutaway editing is making me even more suspicious too.

A lot of the Discovery Channel's programmes suffer from the same credibility issues and that is just looking at the footage.

MacGyver - what a human being. Every man wanted to be MacGyver, myself included, and every woman wanted to be with MacGyver. :shock:

The 1980's the decade that brought us fear, paranoia, Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher, The Iron Curtain and AIDS. What would that landscape have looked like without the soothing balm of escapist television. :wink:

I have no doubt thats possible having punctured lipo myself and seen the exact same reaction only difference is I used a box cuter, not a Bear surv ival knife lol..if I got lost I wouldn't have an issues , I always carry a lighter, to light my pipe :)

What exactly are Bears credibility issues? I have watched nearly all his shows, I found them very informative, I particularly liked the episode which showed the behind the scenes, and how the making of the show is accomplished, several "experts" oversee everything he does.

KiM

AussieJester said:
I have no doubt thats possible having punctured lipo myself and seen the exact same reaction only difference is I used a box cuter, not a Bear surv ival knife lol..if I got lost I wouldn't have an issues , I always carry a lighter, to light my pipe :)

What exactly are Bears credibility issues? I have watched nearly all his shows, I found them very informative, I particularly liked the episode which showed the behind the scenes, and how the making of the show is accomplished, several "experts" oversee everything he does.

KiM

Where to start really. Best to just look up some sites that are dedicated to the subject. Type in 'bear grylls' into Google and see what the next word will be' . He annoys a lot of people, I am but one. My biggest gripe with him is that if you follow some of the stuff he says you will likely end up dead.

There are question marks about the guys achievements. He was never in the SAS. He was in a reserve for part-timers. I would imagine that there is a hell of a difference.

He claims to have set an altitude record for paramotoring but that was never verified.

While the guy claims to be out struggling on his own. He is holed up in five star hotels etc.

I'm reserving this post to add to his credibility issues later. :D

Right for some reason Grylls decides to start swimming in cold, below freezing, water surrounded by ice (good chance if you tried that in reality you would die) the only way he can manage to pull himself up from the water is by using neatly pre-cut hand-holes.

His earlier shows showed him using a magnesium firestriker which he claimed was flint.

Most of his shows consist of always taking the most dangerous options. You're an Australian isn't it not beat into you to never, ever leave your vehicle if an accident or emergency happens? Of course what does Mr. Grylls do...

In another episode he lead viewers to believe that covering your mouth will prevent you from being suffocated by sulphur while apparently demonstrating this to his audience. Firstly, try that and you will quickly realise the t-shirt has no effect. Secondly, there was no sulphur dioxide but rather smoke machines producing the desired spectacle.

There is only one safe way to drink urine and that is through evaporation and condensation.

Don't drink water from elephant dung, obviously.

The so-called dead badger meat was actually a nice steak.

This one takes the biscuit. The Grylls team needed a bear for a particular staged scene in which Grylls is supposedly attacked at night. instead they dressed up a man in a bear suit. :roll:

Here is a site dedicated to righting people on the terrible claims of Man Vs Wild.

http://www.daughtersoftiresias.org/

There is nothing wrong with harmless entertainment - but Grylls shot this in documentary fashion with pieces to camera instructing people how to do stuff. The danger is that people will go 'Look, this is on the Discovery Channel. The advice must be good...'

There is a much higher duty of care here to viewers than Top Gear. Lives could be at risk.

Edit: Just to add this isn't one of those: 'Well-he-didn't-fool-me-but-he-could-mislead-someone-else solipsistic mentality nonsense. I watched a lot of Ray Mears programmes prior to ever seeing Man Vs Wild. If I didn't, I would have bought into this.

Joseph C. said:
I
There is only one safe way to drink urine and that is through evaporation and condensation.
What do you mean by "Safe"..? ...
the only "safe" way to drink any water is to boil /evaporate it....
but in a survival situation, you would not worry about the side effects
I am no expert ( and have no personal experience)... but i do know that there are a large number of people who practice urine drinking on a regular basis, believing it is beneficial to their health...with no obvious side effects.
REF ..Urine Therapy..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine_therapy#Auto-urine_drinking_and_meditation

That show and all but one of the other survival 'reality' TV shows out there are all crap compared to Survivorman, where one Canadian proves we really are tougher by going out for a week by himself with no camera crew and filming his survival techniques. All the other shows are complete BS, but Les Stroud really is the man.

This will work until NMC starts to come around, lol.

Never thought i'd see a lipo fire on a TV show.

Hillhater said:
Joseph C. wrote:I

I am no expert ( and have no personal experience)... but i do know that there are a large number of people who practice urine drinking on a regular basis, believing it is beneficial to their health...with no obvious side effects.
REF ..Urine Therapy..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine_ther ... meditation

There have been people stranded in a boat out at sea with no drinking water who survived because they drank their own urine, but I agree with Joseph C that Bear is purely tv entertainment (weak at that) nothing more

Hillhater said:
Joseph C. said:
I
REF ..Urine Therapy..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine_therapy#Auto-urine_drinking_and_meditation

Urine is full of salts. Salts dehydrate the body. If you are in a survival situation and have no access to water - drinking raw urine will kill you faster. Drinking urine is a serious no no if you are dehydrated.

The only way to drink urine in a safe manner is by evaporating it and collecting the condensed water. A solar still is what is normally used.

Drinking urine is a survival situation is discouraged by many authorities. Those people that practice drinking urine are not in survival situations and have plenty of access to water.

Looks to me like the key thing is shorting the battery to get it nice and hot before slashing it.

When desperate and out in the wild, our cell phone batteries always have a nice full charge on em, after trying to make a call for days, and then dunking the phone. But I'd try it in a heartbeat if desperate.

Personally, I carry a bic lighter with me when I go more than a half mile from a car into wilderness. Had a friend go fireless in the woods one night, he had to curl up under a log in snow three feet deep. I froze my ass off that night, sitting next to a huge bonfire, inside my sleeping bag and his! I couldn't believe it when he staggered into camp the next morning. I figured he broke his leg falling into the river and was a goner. I carry fire. Always.

Definitely better not drink your pee. Drink the blood of the guy with you.

Back