Mid drives and eccentric bottom brackets

markrides

1 µW
My exploring bike is a four year-old Jones Plus with a Rohloff-Gates drivetrain. I wanted to jump into the ebike world and bought an Onyx RCR a little over a year ago. It’s a fun ride on roads and gravel, but absurdly disappointing off-road. (And no, I’m not looking to go Sur-Ron instead.) The Jones is my favorite bike I’ve ever owned, and I’m selling the RCR and taking some of the cash to add a mid-drive. Is the eccentric bottom bracket on my Jones going to create problems for me with mounting a mid-drive? Should I just find a beefy steel donor with a more common BB? I would really like to throw the CYC X1 Pro Gen 2 on my current bike but not sure it will work. I know Jeff recently launched an e-version of my frame, but I think those new frames use the Boost spacing, and I couldn’t use the Rohloff cuz my bike was the last version with the 135 spacing. And I really love the Rohloff hub. Any thoughts?

I will be interested in seeing how your project goes as I have the exact same set up -Jones Plus, Rohloff, Gates - on one of my bikes.
I don't think the eccentric BB will be a problem, but I don't really know.

Good luck with the conversion.

Likely won’t get started on the build until spring. But I’ll be sure to let you know how it’s going!

Back