Miles' Project 1 [eMoulton]

Steady on, Matt :)

I appreciate the sentiment, coming from you....

Here's one for your reading list:

"The Dancing Chain, History and Development of the Derailleur Bicycle" - Frank Berto. My favourite book on bicycles (despite the title, it covers the development of all bicycle gearing systems and more..).

http://www.thedancingchain.com/

Thanks Hal,

Very little sound from the drive-train or the motor. If I approach walkers in the park from behind, they never hear me...

The next step is to go for a 10:1 reduction ratio (still single step) with a much lighter motor.

HAL9000v2.0 said:
How about to put plastic planetary gearbox inside rear pulley?

It's an idea - lot of work, though, and lose another 4% efficiency.... I've already got 0.734 reduction and 1.362 increase in the hub gear.

If I change to 5M belt, I can use 18t to 180t - or, if I keep the power down, 16t to 180t.

Miles, I pull 6,000 watts though my 5mm pitch belt and it survives fine. However, alot of tension is required to achieve that.

I would say your power output would be fine with 5mm pitch even with only 9mm width. Your efficiency would go up quite a bit that way.

Matt

Hi Matt,

It looks like you have 16t (with 9 or 10 teeth engaged) to 58t for the first stage - is that right?

By my calculations on the above, using the half of no-load speed of your motor at 48V, you are putting over 3 times the torque through that part of the drive than the nominal rating :mrgreen:

It seems I can give myself a reasonable safety margin and keep belt the tension as low as possible. Your experience is reassuring to me :D

Hmm, looks familiar.

I have that charger and power supply. I use a Hyperion charger for my 12S lipo packs, though. :wink:

Man, you and I have too much in common.

Matt

Matt,

Had a brief test yesterday.

The new batteries are a huge improvement - much less voltage sag. Unfortunately, I had a bad puncture after 5 mins of fun :evil: So, nothing much in the way of data, yet. I'll add the eLogger for the next run. Still conditioning the batteries, though.

It's designed for hill climbing, top speed is 22mph at this voltage (39V). It pulled up a long 20% gradient with ease. Consumption 12 Wh/mile, so far. Will get some proper data later in the week.

Have you rigged up the eLogger to yours yet, Matt?

knoxie said:
Hi Miles

Wow :shock: that was so worth the wait!! has Randy seen it? hmm very nice indeed, how does it perform? what kind of top speed have you seen, I am guessing its a little less than Randys bike due to the wheel size, I bet its pretty quiet as well? love to see some video of it as well.

Thanks for posting the pictures they are superb and I think detail about the cleanest build on an upright bike that I have seen to date, it looks like an off the shelf bike.
Knoxie

Hi,

I disagree! :lol:

It looks much better than almost any off the shelf bike.

It looks much better than every off the shelf Ebike I've seen.

Nice work!

Back