• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Modding the Crystalyte HS 3540

Beavinator

1 kW
Has anybody on here upgraded phase wires, added air cooling holes on the new HS motors yet? I am in the process of doing mine and was wondering what others on here have already done. Sofar I have opened up the motor, painted the stator with red insulation varnish and started to widen and deepen the axle slot. If anyone else has done this already and has any helpful tips or advice Id love to hear it. Thanks!

Hi Beavinator,

Good question. Please post any information you find!

Do you have a newer HS 3540? If so has the wire cutting issue been resolved? Are there any other changes? Better halls?

What type of insulation varnish are you using?
Also, how are you widening and deepening the axle slot? File? drill?

I am widening and deepening the slot with a dremel. It takes a long time! My motor is brand new and I got it from Maxwell. It does not come with hall sensors and I am adding them myself. I just got them from Digikey and I believe they are Honeywell SS41. The slots that are in the motor are not wide enough so I will have to grind them out also. As for the varnish it it the Sprayon Red insulating varnish. If I cant fit 10ga phase wires I will use 12ga and as soon as they exit the motor I will switch them to 10ga.

very cool Beavinator! if you can post up details/pics on how you will add in the halls.

Anyone else mod their HS motors? Cooling holes? Weatherproofing?

Also, what changes have been made to the new HS3540's? are they even out yet? I thought I read that they were.

I'm pretty sure Luke's penis frock was an HS/HT. He had someone cut penis shaped holes in the side covers for ventilation. Then he hooked way too much juice to it and turned it into a flaming plasma penis frock. :shock:

Pure said:
I'm pretty sure Luke's penis frock was an HS/HT. He had someone cut penis shaped holes in the side covers for ventilation. Then he hooked way too much juice to it and turned it into a flaming plasma penis frock. :shock:

lol i saw that video somewhere. The one with the bike on the dyno right? i thought that was a 5304. The flaming balls were hilarious.

doc007 said:
Pure said:

lol i saw that video somewhere. The one with the bike on the dyno right? i thought that was a 5304. The with flaming balls were hilarious.

Pretty sure it was in the long HS/HT thread. He's the one who figured out we can't put near as much Kw through the HS/HTs vs the X5s.

Well I feel really stupid! The stator on these motors is actually cut with grooves that the hall sensors slide into. Now you almost dont need any adhesive at all to hold your hall sensors in. Brilliant! I just want to say thanks to the other Doc for pointing me to a picture that clued me into the hall slots. Here is a picture of my first hall in its new home. I have a technique that I use for soldering the leads on the hall sensors that I will share for the people that will be doing this themselves. I trim the rigid legs down so that they are just long enough to solder the leads onto. Next I take a vice grip pliers and I use that little thumb wheel to snug up and hold the hall sensor with its legs pointing up. Then just solder your leads on one at a time and cover the leads in shrink tube. I like this method because the vice grips besides holding the sensor also act as a heatsink during the solder process.

One of them I had to file the bamboo down a bit but it was not hard at all. The others just slid in. Im really impressed with Crystalyte for the really nice improvement.

I just finished adding the hall sensors and I tested them with my Lyen tester. Man that thing is great! I also drilled my side covers.

Yes, its the Red Insulating varnish that adds a layer of waterproofing and insulation to your windings. I just use it for an added layer of protection.

I got my order today from Hobbyking so I can add my phase wires to the motor. I am going to go with 12ga silicone wire until I exit the motor at which point I will switch to 10ga. I am so impressed with this wire from Hobbyking! The 12ga wire has to be stripped with the 10ga location on the stripper due to its high strand count. Where the wire attaches to the windings I wrapped the joint tightly with copper wire to help increase the continuity. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 4,098
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 4,098
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 4,096
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 4,096
Epoxied the hall sensors and finished wiring them up.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 4,053
This silicone wire has insulation that is just as thin if not thinner than teflon. It is 12ga Turnigy wire but you have to strip it with the 10ga setting or you will lose a lot of wire! This Turnigy wire is the absolute best wire you will ever use. Most strand count out of any wire Ive ever used. As for where the wire exits I pulled out that rubber seal that cuts into the wires. I will put all my wires into a larger shrink tube and may even make a hard plastic sleeve like the X5's have. Why they didnt do that at the factory is beyond me.

Beavinator, what awg did you use for the Hall sensors?

For the hall sensors I used 28ga teflon wire. I got it from bulkwire.com. A 25 foot roll is 5.00 and it comes in red/black/blue/green/yellow and many other colors. :mrgreen:

Beavinator said:
For the hall sensors I used 28ga teflon wire. I got it from bulkwire.com. A 25 foot roll is 5.00 and it comes in red/black/blue/green/yellow and many other colors. :mrgreen:

Thanks!!! I will be doing upgrades on an HT. I plan on using Luke's technique for fitting 10 awg through the axle http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24547. I will also be adding Honeywell sensors since this motor is sensorless. Do you have any detailed pics on how to connect the hall sensor wires. I have an idea but pics makes it easier to understand. I'll let you know how Luke's technique turns out.

FINALLY! I got my digital thermometer. We were wondering if it had a temperature gauge and I am happy to say that it in fact does! I absolutely love how small this one is. I hate having a bunch of crap hanging off the front of the bike! I am still figuring out the best way to mount it on the bike. Man I wish I had a milling machine. I have never installed one of these things before so if anyone has any tips/tricks I would greatly appreciate it!! Im sure that Im safe bending the probe right? Also does someone know how this thing operates? Is their just two wires inside this stainless steel sheath? I take it that I just cut the sheath and extend the wires? Thanks.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 3,326
Beavinator said:
FINALLY! I got my digital thermometer. We were wondering if it had a temperature gauge and I am happy to say that it in fact does! I absolutely love how small this one is. I hate having a bunch of crap hanging off the front of the bike! I am still figuring out the best way to mount it on the bike. Man I wish I had a milling machine. I have never installed one of these things before so if anyone has any tips/tricks I would greatly appreciate it!! Im sure that Im safe bending the probe right? Also does someone know how this thing operates? Is their just two wires inside this stainless steel sheath? I take it that I just cut the sheath and extend the wires? Thanks.

I have the eaxct same one, its not installed yet. You can contact ES member El_steak. He also has this model and he knows the best way to install it.

Back