• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Motorcycle Permanent Magnet Alternator

marc426

100 µW
Hi everyone!

Been a long time reader of this great forum, great place, great realizations and great people, or so it seems!

Now here's my thought that I'd like to submit to you :

To put it shortly : can a motorcycle Permanent Magnet Alternator (three or one phase) be reversed and used -given the right electronics- as an electric motor.
Being also an ICE motorcycle fan, I'd love to be able to electric start all these old engines that I have AND (more interesting) to provide an electric boost with a couple of LiPos...

Also, I guess if all this makes sense / is interesting, these alternators can be salvadged and used in real e-bikes this time!

But maybe some of you will make me come back to reason and explain why it cannot work... :cry:
Please please tell me it can be done! :lol:

Marc

Yes, it can work. Has been tried before: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36945
Don't expect too much, though, they have a low rating (250W?).

Great!

Not a lot of infos on this post though...
So it will stay low wattage... after all it makes sense, these alternator are usually rated around 2-300W...

Ok, now the fun part, does anyone think of a motor that could have the right RPM (8-10kRPM max) & form factor (pancake?) to integrate in an alternator carter.
I'd love to have a couple of kWs boost at the flick of a switch ! :D

Marc

Ok great! I didn't know the word for it... I should find some more infos on it now!

Thanks!

Its an great idea :)
Also have it in the back of my head.

Take three of the same stators. Remove the copper, and make one big stator and rewind with lots of copper!
Then custom rotor with neodymium magnets :)
Should be good for 1-2kw?

Back